IGNORED

Channel 4 9pm tonight

MC RISK77

41 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

If Lineker had done the same thing up the other end, he would have been an English national hero!

Well at least one newspaper would have.

There would be at least one national newspaper demanding an apology from GL and that he would have to say he had brought the game into disrepute.

Another paper would want to do a survey (via phone lines) that we should demand the game is replayed.

Another paper would state we forfeit the game whilst at least one newspaper would suggest that this is what Corporal Jones would've done as they don't like it uppem.

One newspaper would ignore all the brewhaha and feature Samantha Fox instead.

5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I had always said maradona but back in those days it was rare to see him play on tv unless it was world cups etc,it never seemed like he had a bad game over here to us but he must of,now with Messi you can see him pretty much every game so when he has a shocker we all see it but those are rare days so I would say he’s probably the best of all time

Yeah my love was massively based upon that tournament to be fair. I was 8 at the time and I guess it coincided with starting to be able to start to understand the game a bit better whilst still being naive to a great deal of it still, and his skill just blew me away.  I was obsessed, despite the tears!  Didn’t get to watch him live much else apart from the subsequent world cups where he was nowhere near his ‘86 level but his spirit, his rise from poverty, his ‘f you’ attitude and his skill just make him my favourite overseas player ever.  
I just can’t get into Messi at all for some reason. Undoubtedly incredible player,  and when the best ex-players like Lineker et al say he’s the best then you can’t argue, but I’ve always been a Ronaldo man in that argument. Guess I just love the emotional as opposed to the clinical overall.  

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Peoples opinions on the team that faces Argentina that day - do you think the current England team is better than this one

shilton

stevens

butcher

fenwick

sansom

hoddle 

hodge

reid

steven

beardsley

lineker

which players in current England team would have made this team better?

Interesting that players like Hodge and Steven, v.good club players, but with Reid freeing Hoddle it was a “team selection” fully of energy.

30 minutes ago, lenred said:

Yeah my love was massively based upon that tournament to be fair. I was 8 at the time and I guess it coincided with starting to be able to start to understand the game a bit better whilst still being naive to a great deal of it still, and his skill just blew me away.  I was obsessed, despite the tears!  Didn’t get to watch him live much else apart from the subsequent world cups where he was nowhere near his ‘86 level but his spirit, his rise from poverty, his ‘f you’ attitude and his skill just make him my favourite overseas player ever.  
I just can’t get into Messi at all for some reason. Undoubtedly incredible player,  and when the best ex-players like Lineker et al say he’s the best then you can’t argue, but I’ve always been a Ronaldo man in that argument. Guess I just love the emotional as opposed to the clinical overall.  

Guessing you mean Ronaldo mk 2. I agree, in a straight choice between him and Messi, I'd take him every time.

But, would take Barca era/1st Inter season Ronaldo mk 1 over either of them.

30 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Guessing you mean Ronaldo mk 2. I agree, in a straight choice between him and Messi, I'd take him every time.

Ronaldo is incredible let’s be honest,he hasn’t got the natural talent that a maradona or messi had but he worked hard at his overall game and deserves everything he has earned,also while messi has stayed at one club in a 2 club league Ronaldo has tested himself around Europe and won numerous leagues,damn I’m even doubting my first post now ?

7 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I had always said maradona but back in those days it was rare to see him play on tv unless it was world cups etc,it never seemed like he had a bad game over here to us but he must of,now with Messi you can see him pretty much every game so when he has a shocker we all see it but those are rare days so I would say he’s probably the best of all time

Come on, he was no Ian Muir.

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

In case you weren't fishing, one glaring exception...

maradona86.thumb.jpg.cbea11ebcdfa16089d66716051054a97.jpg

He dragged the team to that victory no doubt but it was still a decent team which Messi and Ronaldo could never do but does winning a World Cup mean you are the greatest because the likes of let’s say George Best would never had the chance with a bag of spanner’s playing alongside him

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He dragged the team to that victory no doubt but it was still a decent team which Messi and Ronaldo could never do but does winning a World Cup mean you are the greatest because the likes of let’s say George Best would never had the chance with a bag of spanner’s playing alongside him

Certainly agree that winning a world cup doesn't mean you're the greatest ever, as you say would then drop Best, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Weah, etc below the true stars like Guivrache and Djemba Djemba. Pic was more a response to Bat's assertion that Messi does everything Maradona did and then some.

4 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Certainly agree that winning a world cup doesn't mean you're the greatest ever, as you say would then drop Best, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Weah, etc below the true stars like Guivrache and Djemba Djemba. Pic was more a response to Bat's assertion that Messi does everything Maradona did and then some.

I know what you were getting at mate,djemba djemba made me chuckle 

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Yep, again a far more ‘romantic’ player I agree. Incredible talent. Amazing at  PSV as well. The shock and furore when he was supposed to miss the ‘98 final says it all. I’d still go CR overall though. Just....Romario might beat both of them though!  

35 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Pretty much on his own as well. 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Yep, again a far more ‘romantic’ player I agree. Incredible talent. Amazing at  PSV as well. The shock and furore when he was supposed to miss the ‘98 final says it all. I’d still go CR overall though. Just....Romario might beat both of them though!  

Pretty much on his own as well. 

Cmon I liked Romário but he isn’t even the best Brazilian footballer ever let alone best ever

8 hours ago, redysteadygo1 said:

Do you think the picking of your most ever favourite player is influenced by the position you played in for your team at whatever level that was. Always being in defence, wing half ( one for the old uns ), or back four my favourites are Moore, Beckenbauer, Maldini etc.

Yes. I always had a fondness for players left out of the squad...

3 hours ago, The Batman said:

Messi over Maradona every day of the week

Messi does everything Maradona did and scored a shed load more goals in addition. 

But Messi freezes on the big stage of national matches. I think that tilts it away from Messi myself. I am not convinced Maradona is the best ever though. Pele, Garincha, Falcao, Best, Cruyff are all up there in their own inimitable way. And a few more too. 

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

If Lineker had done the same thing up the other end, he would have been an English national hero!

Get over it! 

Lineker scored in that game and had another perfectly good goal ruled out. Was the referee ever investigated for taking a bribe? We should have won 2 - 1

9 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

That's obviously the trump card which is hard to argue against granted. 

Saying that, Maradona's honours board barring the world Cup is quite limited. There's a few leagues and a uefa cup, but considering his longevity and how brilliant he was, you'd think it should be higher than it was. 

Regarding world Cup winners, which world 11 would people rather have

Felix

Anderson polga, mustafi, junior, barone 

Kleberson, donati, borghi 

Navas, guivarc'h, diomede 

Or

Schmeichel 

Koeman, Terry, vidic, Maldini

Zico, Makelele, platini

Cryuff, Messi, Ronaldo 

As alluded to above, best never played in the world Cup, nor did Di Stefano. Other non winners include socretes, Van Basten, puskas. 

4 minutes ago, The Batman said:

That's obviously the trump card which is hard to argue against granted. 

Saying that, Maradona's honours board barring the world Cup is quite limited. There's a few leagues and a uefa cup, but considering his longevity and how brilliant he was, you'd think it should be higher than it was. 

Regarding world Cup winners, which world 11 would people rather have

Felix

Anderson polga, mustafi, junior, barone 

Kleberson, donati, borghi 

Navas, guivarc'h, diomede 

Or

Schmeichel 

Koeman, Terry, vidic, Maldini

Zico, Makelele, platini

Cryuff, Messi, Ronaldo 

As alluded to above, best never played in the world Cup, nor did Di Stefano. Other non winners include socretes, Van Basten, puskas. 

In full agreement with all your comments. Only the insane would pick team A.

Ultimately it is an unwinnable argument for everyone since it based in massive part on personal opinion without a fair metric to judge all contenders.

As a follow on, I do wonder which of Ronaldo and Messi would have thrived better in the era Maradona played in, given the dog's abuse Maradona encountered. I tend to favour Ronaldo in this case too: favouring his physicality over Messi.

It's all good stuff to divert the mind from current shitiness. 

Excellent film, well worth watching if you have not seen it.

Maradonna transformed a very average Napoli team and they became Champions.

i don’t think Messi would have made the same impact had he joined such a club half way through his career.

Hated Maradonna for that ‘86 goal, mind.

Very much a troubled genius.

On 21/03/2020 at 19:36, MC RISK77 said:

Peoples opinions on the team that faces Argentina that day - do you think the current England team is better than this one

shilton

stevens

butcher

fenwick

sansom

hoddle 

hodge

reid

steven

beardsley

lineker

not a lot but imagine robson and wilkins in their prime playing could have been different....

It's a good documentary but he can never be the greatest footballer of all time in my eyes. To be a the greatest of all time has to be more than skill on the pitch and should include how a player conducts himself and whether he is the sort of role model I'd want kids to look up to. Forget the 'hand of god' but drugs don't do that for me. Like Gazza and Garincha (who both didn't mind drunken binges and abusing women) he is another immensely flawed genius. As for his goals in 86 I always thought his goal against Belgium was better than the one against England. 

I'm sorry lads but I cannot see how a blatant cheat can ever be described as the greatest ever. For me his cheating obliterates his talent and the same applies to Henry.

In his day Stanley Matthews was the greatest and was never even spoken to by a referee for foul play, this despite him having every reason to retaliate when a thousand full-backs took it in turns to try and kick lumps off of him.

The same  level of true sportsmanship applies to our own Big John.

On 22/03/2020 at 03:36, MC RISK77 said:

shilton

stevens

butcher

fenwick

sansom

hoddle 

hodge

reid

steven

beardsley

lineker

Where was Waddle? Too many players like him on the pitch I suppose. I think today we have better players than Hodge, Steven and possibly Reid.

Archived