IGNORED

Channel 4 9pm tonight

MC RISK77

8 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I'm sorry lads but I cannot see how a blatant cheat can ever be described as the greatest ever. For me his cheating obliterates his talent and the same applies to Henry.

Michael Owen returned the favour in winning that Penalty against Argentina in 2002.

Does everyone who boycotted the Maradona documentary also boycott anything Owen is in?

Different eras but glad to have seen;

Cryuff

Best

Maradona

C.Ronaldo 

Messi

Best of the lot ? All round natural ability, dribbing, team play, tackling, heading, I would stick me neck out and say the most rounded player I've seen was George Best. Naturally talented, didn't mind a tackle and played in an era when defenders would try to break him in two and still get up for more and give some back. If he was playing today he would certainly be up there with Messi imo. 

Messi a very close second.

On 21/03/2020 at 19:36, MC RISK77 said:

Peoples opinions on the team that faces Argentina that day - do you think the current England team is better than this one

shilton

stevens

butcher

fenwick

sansom

hoddle 

hodge

reid

steven

beardsley

lineker

which players in current England team would have made this team better?

Anyone instead of Terry f*****.  Thought he was rubbish.  I would have Chilwell over Sansom and probably Henderson over Peter Reid who looked knackered trotting back after Maradona for the 2nd goal...

That team was reconcstructed after WIlkins and Robson were unavailable and it improved hugely.  3 midfield workers around Hoddle, giving him the platform to pull strings.  Beardsley and Lineker both miles better than what we have now.

I liked the Steven brothers down the right - they had a brilliant understanding that transmitted to England.  The european ban stopped that great Everton team from really challenging to win stuff. 4 of them were in that side.

We came so close to pulling it back to 2 2, but their defender stopped Lineker equalising after Barnes had made a brilliant impact off the bench.

37 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Anyone instead of Terry f*****.  Thought he was rubbish.  I would have Chilwell over Sansom and probably Henderson over Peter Reid who looked knackered trotting back after Maradona for the 2nd goal...

That team was reconcstructed after WIlkins and Robson were unavailable and it improved hugely.  3 midfield workers around Hoddle, giving him the platform to pull strings.  Beardsley and Lineker both miles better than what we have now.

I liked the Steven brothers down the right - they had a brilliant understanding that transmitted to England.  The european ban stopped that great Everton team from really challenging to win stuff. 4 of them were in that side.

We came so close to pulling it back to 2 2, but their defender stopped Lineker equalising after Barnes had made a brilliant impact off the bench.

Steven and Stevens weren't brothers.... 

Okay I’ve moved on to 1990 now, but the back 3 with wingbacks was interesting as a comparison to today’s versions.

The team that took to the field v Germany was;

Shilton

⏬ Parker | Walker | Wright | Butcher | Pearce ⏬

Waddle | Gascogne | Platt

Beardsley

Lineker

Neither Parker, nor Pearce were wing-backs in the truest sense.

Neither Butcher or Walker were great on the ball, although Wright as sweeper was

Not a “DM” in sight in the midfield, but equally all highly technical

Was definitely a cobbled together “team” that worked.  Bar Wright and Parker (being harsh on them both) the other 8/9 were all very good international players.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Okay I’ve moved on to 1990 now, but the back 3 with wingbacks was interesting as a comparison to today’s versions.

The team that took to the field v Germany was;

Shilton

⏬ Parker | Walker | Wright | Butcher | Pearce ⏬

Waddle | Gascogne | Platt

Beardsley

Lineker

Neither Parker, nor Pearce were wing-backs in the truest sense.

Neither Butcher or Walker were great on the ball, although Wright as sweeper was

Not a “DM” in sight in the midfield, but equally all highly technical

Was definitely a cobbled together “team” that worked.  Bar Wright and Parker (being harsh on them both) the other 8/9 were all very good international players.

Didn't Steven play at RWB with Parker dropping back at least for some of the knock out games??   Mark Wright got injured..

41 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Didn't Steven play at RWB with Parker dropping back at least for some of the knock out games??   Mark Wright got injured..

Good memory, I had to google it....yes came in for Butcher twice v Cameroon and v Germany.

Whilst some of the football at Italia 90 is viewed with rose tinted specs, I did love that tournament. Took a couple of weeks off work to party with friends still at uni, and had some great days and nights watching some of those games.

And then went to Germany for a week to see my GF (now wife). Watched the Belgium game over there. What a night that was.

We flew back the night of England Cameroon: the eventual MIL collected us and greeted me with the news that we were 1 up. Had to listen to the game on the radio heading back to Bristol. Have still never seen that game in full.

21 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Excellent film, well worth watching if you have not seen it.

Maradonna transformed a very average Napoli team and they became Champions.

i don’t think Messi would have made the same impact had he joined such a club half way through his career.

Hated Maradonna for that ‘86 goal, mind.

Very much a troubled genius.

Messi has just been doing it week in week out for 16 years?

i find it strange that people slightly question his quality by trying to guess what would have happened if he went elsewhere. He has never needed to, and why would he. Maradona may well have stayed at Barcelona if he was the same sort of character as Messi. They are the two best players I’ve ever seen, for me Messi is the better, not only can he do everything Maradona could, but he’s probably the best passer of a ball ever, as well as the best goal scorer. 

Football is going to be far far for the worse in a few years when he stops playing, he is a genius with a football.

16 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Michael Owen returned the favour in winning that Penalty against Argentina in 2002.

Does everyone who boycotted the Maradona documentary also boycott anything Owen is in?

I didn't like what Owen did either and also didn't like it when other members of the England team said that he was great because he knew he could draw a penalty ( anybody like Robbie Savage when he used to do that sort of stuff?)

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

I didn't like what Owen did either and also didn't like it when other members of the England team said that he was great because he knew he could draw a penalty ( anybody like Robbie Savage when he used to do that sort of stuff?)

Lineker also dived for one of the penalties against Cameroon in 1990.

Nothing was said!

Archived