IGNORED

Predictions for the remainder of the season

Midlands Robin

To be honest, if and when the season restarts, it’s going to be a lottery. Some squads may have x players unavailable, teams have been training for different timescales and in different formats and it may also be played in a condensed period.

I’m calling on this thread for no mentions of what’s happening with COVID - just what may happen after in football on the assumption this season (and playoffs) are finished. Take this as a mental respite.

With that in mind.

The closest thing I think we can equate the restart to will be as if it’s the start of the season. We’re talking a 6-8 week minimum competitive football break. 

And here’s the good news.

Historically, under LJ, we’ve tended to start well - even after Leeds this year, we were in good form thereafter. More often than not he gets it right at the start of a season.  Add in that everyone will be in the same boat as our players who would have needed match sharpness such as Afobe.

I’d hope, for that reason, when we restart we may well see us do very well and clinch playoffs.

Worst case scenario; when the season restarts, our grand children will have inherited our STs.

If a team has had several postponements due to bad weather and cup games, assorted amateur leagues have teams playing Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday for 3 sometimes 4 weeks to conclude a season. If they can manage it could our professional do so?

4 hours ago, xerox6060 said:

Prediction  The season can't start satisfactorily by early June so is abandoned with no relegation and the two / three up's retained as current ....we go for a fresh start first Saturday in September with amendments to some cup competitions 

I think we'd see amendments to next season before they abandon this one, its lawsuits galore if they null and void it, adjusting next season doesn't result in that whether they only play half the amount of games and its pot luck who you play home and away or whatever.

Prediction.. This season will resume late July early August behind closed doors. Next season will start soon after the end of this season sometime during October. Cup competitions will be concluded on the day with penalties after 90 mins. There will be no International breaks thus allowing the season to finish before the Euros.

12 hours ago, hodge said:

I think we'd see amendments to next season before they abandon this one, its lawsuits galore if they null and void it, adjusting next season doesn't result in that whether they only play half the amount of games and its pot luck who you play home and away or whatever.

i agree I would prefer that, finish this season whenever it be in Nov if necessary and truncate next season, but my gut feel is there draw a line under this year across Europe and start next whenever is safely possible 

34 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Perhaps cancel the League Cup for 1 yr and double the prize money for the 72 EFL clubs in the FA Cup.

Good idea but its two different organisations and I can't see the EFL giving the FA any money.

One of the cups may have to be sacrificed I would think and the FA cup takes precedent imo.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Good idea but its two different organisations and I can't see the EFL giving the FA any money.

One of the cups may have to be sacrificed I would think and the FA cup takes precedent imo.

FA cup maybe easiest to cancel for it starts about 7 rounds before league sides join it. But that then means lower league sides who depend on the prize money will struggle. 

6 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Prediction.. This season will resume late July early August behind closed doors. Next season will start soon after the end of this season sometime during October. Cup competitions will be concluded on the day with penalties after 90 mins. There will be no International breaks thus allowing the season to finish before the Euros.

Agree with much of this.  Think there will be a transfer window (of sorts) to handle those players who have contracts ending 30.6.20.  That might be allowing them to extend, e.g. loans.  Avoids some / any legal issues re contracts.

Anyone under contract will remain until the new window opens between 19/20 and 20/21 season.

Archived