IGNORED

Kate Bush thread

AppyDAZE

Over to you lot. I know where i stand..  beautiful, weird, mysterious, pop chart sensation for a bit.

But there is no denying her contribution in music, and UK music specifically in history.

Kate, you were fantastic, I am proud to say i was there in 1979 when you played live in Bristol.

Were any other OTIBers there that night? Interested to know

Too young to have been there but she was an utterly fascinating musician.

Anyone who can write a song of the calibre of Wuthering Heights at 18 deserves all the respect in the world.

Also love that she was really shy and had enough of the industry (and enough money) to say **** it all, I'm done with it.

One of the few acts I haven't seen that I would love to have seen along with Prince and Bowie (I may have seen Bowie in early 2000's at Glastonbury but have no recollection although mates say we were there).

I remember the gig (at the Hippodrome IIRC) being announced and, for whatever reason - can't remember if there were a few of my mates wanted to go but not enough tickets left, and we dithered too much and just missed out (probably thinking we would catch her on the next tour!!) so, as a big fan I did not get to see her.  I remember there was a fatal accident with one of her crew, or a member of the theatre production team in Brighton, which cast a tragic cloud over the tour. 

Kate is a phenomenal artist. 

With regards to David Bowie as per RED4LIFE, saw him at the Colston Hall in 1973 on the Ziggy Stardust/Alladin Sane tour, probably the best gig I have ever seen!

6 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

With regards to David Bowie as per RED4LIFE, saw him at the Colston Hall in 1973 on the Ziggy Stardust/Alladin Sane tour, probably the best gig I have ever seen!

Me too, in the front row of the choir seats. We were at the evening show but I think from memory he did a matinee also.

7 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I remember the gig (at the Hippodrome IIRC) being announced and, for whatever reason - can't remember if there were a few of my mates wanted to go but not enough tickets left, and we dithered too much and just missed out (probably thinking we would catch her on the next tour!!) so, as a big fan I did not get to see her.  I remember there was a fatal accident with one of her crew, or a member of the theatre production team in Brighton, which cast a tragic cloud over the tour. 

Kate is a phenomenal artist. 

Saw Bowie at Earles Court during the same Aladdin tour and that was the best gig I ever I saw. He was amazing and afterwards in the pub we all felt the same - that he was looking directly as each of us individually!  Years later I discovered that he had slightly deformed retina which gave that impression.

As for Kate Bush......what a babe! Never saw her live but during her heyday my mates and I thought she was incredibly gorgeous and sexy. One guy quipped that ‘one in Kate Bush is worth two in any other bush’.....well it was funny at the time............:facepalm:

Way too young to have been there in 1979 (wasn't born for another 3 years). Very much on my list of the five living artists that I'd most like to see live. Utterly superb musician and songwriter. I know the cliche is to say "it's ridiculous that she was able to write something so profound and moving as the Man with the Child in his Eyes at the age of fourteen...", it is nonetheless ridiculous that she was able to write something so profound and moving as theMan with the Child in his Eyes at the age of fourteen...

12 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Cloudbusting the only song that moves me,with that THUMPING beat and to top it all,Donald Sutherland in the video.

Oh there's more than that. Hounds of Love, Running Up that Hill, both amazing tracks, with elements that haunt you.

I think that one of the key measures of an artist is their output over time. Normally, a good track or two is all some achieve, maybe a great album or a number one hit, but it's in the albums I feel the true nature is revealed. Kate turned out some immensely remarkable albums right from the start: The Kick Inside, Lionheart, Never For Ever and so on - all from a young but precocious girl. Despite the many years where she dipped below the media horizon, she continued to evolve and explore different themes and styles. No other artist (male or female) has had the breadth or range of musical probity. Add in the very visual approach of her videos (quite the shock for a plainly shy person) and her passion for expressive dance and you have the unique and inimitable Kate. She holds the listener gently but firmly in her grasp, never repetitive, never less than a journey into an open soul. Clever, sexy, thoughtful, refreshing, unassuming yet enigmatic.

Wuthering Heights is her only British Chart topper, yet the fact that her live tour of a few years ago sold out quicker than Glastonbury speaks volumes. I'll not live long enough to hear any female singer/songwriter who can out gun the unapologetic or unalloyed Kate. She is unique.

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

She wrote one for me too... "the man with the beast in his trousers" but the BBC wouldn't touch it. The record, that is.   :laugh:

Ah, you wish.  She was lying in my arms when she wrote mine which made it extra special.

A true artist can touch your soul and boy did Kate Bush hit the spot . 

I fell in love with her from the start. She can look in at my window any time she likes . 

Such a tender and genuine person. I feel her songs.

I must confess however that ‘Fifty words for snow ‘ and ‘ Aerial ‘ have lost me a bit . 

15 hours ago, BigTone said:

Ah, you wish.  She was lying in my arms when she wrote mine which made it extra special.

The Dreaming ? 

An erstwhile friend of mine from Bristol moved up to London in '77 and happened to share a house in Whitechapel with Kate Bush when she was on the brink of becoming famous.

His claim to fame for many years.

Like just about everyone else, I should imagine, I thought she was beguiling when Wuthering Heights came out - as did my then new girlfriend (now my wife) and one of the first presents I bought her was a Kate Bush badge from Focus in Clifton, which she's still got. 

Archived