IGNORED

Beatles

AppyDAZE

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

The Beatles thread

**** it, why not. They practically reinvented the music recording world in their day. No, they DID reinvent it and there is no argument on this.

My fav, usually, although it changes from week to week .. We Can Work It Out

Not a fan I'm afraid

They sat there in the studio cutting up tapes, feeding them around the place, slowing things down, speeding things up, playing tapes backwards pretty much unheard of at the time, linking more than one recording deck together etc etc

I'd call that pretty ground breaking.

They were phenomenal, they really were.

3 minutes ago, miser said:

I've got a vast music collection,  but no Beatles apart from one 45 - Hello Goodbye. The b side was I am a Walrus which I thought as hideous. Perhaps if it had been one of their more tuneful songs, I might have been hooked. 

I have several 1000 cd's and albums as well. The only Beatles record I have is Please Please Me (I think that's the one) which used to be my Sisters. I just don't like them.

Firstly the Beatles themselves were like a breath of fresh air in society when they arrived on the scene. 

They were humourous and irreverent. They expressed the hope of a new generation and made young people believe that they were the future.

Their music has always been around since my earliest memories and it is only really since I have been involved in playing music that I realise just how good the Beatles were. 

A lot of their output seems simple  but it is in fact , subtle and unbelievably clever .

As Bigtone wrote there were some strange songs such as Yellow Submarine , Octupusses Garden , I am the Walrus ... certain written whilst under the influence but who doesn’t dream of a ‘ team of Ivan Sproules ‘ ? 

That is to say that the melody lives on .

They wrote some amazingly tender and insightful songs on so many different subjects, She’s leaving Home , Eleanor Rigby,  Yesterday ... and it was , for me , the sheer variety and output of this group of ‘ kids ‘,  because that what they were , over the short period of time that they were together that remains so impressive. 

It was a moment of undeniable magic ,  not one of them achieved anything like it as solo artists, despite Alan Partridge claiming

‘ Wings , the band the Beatles could have been ‘. 

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Firstly the Beatles themselves were like a breath of fresh air in society when they arrived on the scene. 

They were humourous and irreverent. They expressed the hope of a new generation and made young people believe that they were the future.

Their music has always been around since my earliest memories and it is only really since I have been involved in playing music that I realise just how good the Beatles were. 

A lot of their output seems simple  but it is in fact , subtle and unbelievably clever .

As Bigtone wrote there were some strange songs such as Yellow Submarine , Octupusses Garden , I am the Walrus ... certain written whilst under the influence but who doesn’t dream of a ‘ team of Ivan Sproules ‘ ? 

They wrote some amazingly tender and insightful songs on so many different subjects, She’s leaving Home , Eleanor Rigby,  Yesterday ... and it was , for me , the sheer variety and output of this group of ‘ kids ‘,  because that what they were , over the short period of time that they were together that remains so impressive. 

It was a moment of undeniable magic ,  not one of them achieved anything like it as solo artists, despite Alan Partridge claiming

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

A great post there Major, the whole Beatles phenomenon was, obviously based on the brilliant music, as Paul said on the Anthology DVDs:- "We were just a little rock and roll band who could play good".  Very true, but also a massive understatement from Macca.   The music, and the speed of their musical progress (from "She Loves You" and the whole Beatlemania thing in 1963 to the Revolver album in 1966, to Strawberry Fields/A Day in the Life/I am The Walrus  etc in 1967) speaks for itself.  There was also the perfect storm of having Brian Epstein as manager, who decided to ditch the "scruffy"  look of Hamburg and the Cavern Club, and stick them into suits to make them more accessible to the mainstream, and a brilliant producer in George Martin, who, whilst disapproving of their drug use etc. was happy for them to use the creativity that it sparked to push their music into unchartered territory.

As you alluded to, the social phenomenon they created could almost be presented as a separate thing from the music. There was the long hair, the "dry wit" style they developed at interviews, the whole London swinging 60s scene always traces the "Fab Four" back as the epicentre. Plus the influence they had on other bands and the "British Invasion", as well as the rivalry with the Rolling Stones and Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys.

Add to that the amazing impact they had internationally, upsetting the President of the Phillipines, and having the evangelical Bible Belt of the Southern States of America, and the KKK, out on the streets rioting and burning Beatles albums and "merch", when they found about John's quote about the Beatles and Christ. Brilliant! Not to mention the rumours of Paul's death, and how they responded to it in some of the songs, and the "clues" on the famous front cover of Abbey Road. And the Maharishi!

There is so much more to analyse about them, obviously so many books and articles have done it all to death.

In case you didn't notice I am a bit of a fan of theirs.

8 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Add to that the amazing impact they has internationally, upsetting the President of the Phillipines, and having the evangelical Bible Belt of the Southern States of America, and the KKK, out on the streets rioting and burning Beatles albums and "merch", when they found about John's quote about the Beatles and Christ. Brilliant!

They also refused to go along with the “Jim Crow” laws.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14963752

15 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

A great post there Major, the whole Beatles phenomenon was, obviously based on the brilliant music, as Paul said on the Anthology DVDs:- "We were just a little rock and roll band who could play good".  Very true, but also a massive understatement from Macca.   The music, and the speed of their musical progress (from "She Loves You" and the whole Beatlemania thing in 1963 to the Revolver album in 1966, to Strawberry Fields/A Day in the Life/I am The Walrus  etc in 1967) speaks for itself.  There was also the perfect storm of having Brian Epstein as manager, who decided to ditch the "scruffy"  look of Hamburg and the Cavern Club, and stick them into suits to make them more accessible to the mainstream, and a brilliant producer in George Martin, who, whilst disapproving of their drug use etc. was happy for them to use the creativity that it sparked to push their music into unchartered territory.

As you alluded to, the social phenomenon they created could almost be presented as a separate thing from the music. There was the long hair, the "dry wit" style they developed at interviews, the whole London swinging 60s scene always traces the "Fab Four" back as the epicentre. Plus the influence they had on other bands and the "British Invasion", as well as the rivalry with the Rolling Stones and Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys.

Add to that the amazing impact they has internationally, upsetting the President of the Phillipines, and having the evangelical Bible Belt of the Southern States of America, and the KKK, out on the streets rioting and burning Beatles albums and "merch", when they found about John's quote about the Beatles and Christ. Brilliant! Not to mention the rumours of Paul's death, and how they responded to it in some of the songs, and the "clues" on the famous front cover of Abbey Road. And the Maharishi!

There is so much more to analyse about them, obviously so many books and articles have done it all to death.

In case you didn't notice I am a bit of a fan of theirs.

Perfectly put, my friend. perfectly put.

Something we can all do right now

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Q_ZzBGPdqE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And an absolute belter of a tune too. Great thread!

Yeah I was brought up on listening to their tapes and cds. 

There is a documentary on netflix which I watched yesterday morning about Lemmy and he was a massive Beatles fan. Them, little Richard and Elvis were his 3 favorites who started rock music as we know today in his opinion 

What a thread! Massive Beatles fan as you may tell.

Usually you tend to like the music your parents or siblings listen to as you grow up, but this wasn’t the case. I stumbled across them on my own when I was a young teenager and I’ve been hooked ever since. 

It’s interesting because they are way before my time and not something you would ever hear in my generation growing up. Just came across one or two of their songs, listened to some more and fell completely in love with it. Pure brilliance.

On 22/03/2020 at 14:24, BigTone said:

I have several 1000 cd's and albums as well. The only Beatles record I have is Please Please Me (I think that's the one) which used to be my Sisters. I just don't like them.

Hard to understand how anyone could dislike everything the Beatles did, given how varied their output was.  Their can be no doubt how groundbreaking and influential they were though.

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Hard to understand how anyone could dislike everything the Beatles did, given how varied their output was.  Their can be no doubt how groundbreaking and influential they were though.

I just don't like them, that's all.

9 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Wife doesn't like them simply because of how overplayed their music was in her life growing up. Although Eleanor rigby is one of her favourite songs of all time. That's it for her. 

Archived