IGNORED

A Golden Era of Bristol City Youth Prospects?

RED4LIFE

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bristol-city-duo-close-to-agreeing-deals-at-ashton-gate/amp/

This article has just popped up on my recommendations and it made me think that are we really on the cusp of producing top quality footballers or is it just hyperbole from the club to justify it's expenditure on the academy?

I admit, I know next to nothing about our youth players from U16's to U21's as apart from one interview with LJ recently, nobody at the club (or fans on social media) has ever really hyped up our youth players. Is this because we want to keep it low key or because we dont want to put too much pressure on the the better players or because we dont have any top prospects? I honestly dont know.

For years our academy was poorly ran, but recently we have seen the likes of Reid, Bryan and Kelly move upwards and they were here before the restructuring and investment into the academy (and lower age groups) happened.

This leads me to believe that considering the large investment we have put into it over the last 5-6 years we should start seeing returns on that over the next few years and onwards which will, hopefully, bear fruit.

Does anyone have an opinion on our players or set-up when it comes down to our younger age groups? Genuinely interested.

5 hours ago, phantom said:

The other question is how likely are any of these going to be to playing for us?

We have seen a massive swing this season from bringing through any younger player to suddenly bringing in older more experienced players

How many academy youngsters has Johnson blooded and established in the team in the last 4 years? My mind has gone blank, Lloyd Kelly?

31 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

How many academy youngsters has Johnson blooded and established in the team in the last 4 years? My mind has gone blank, Lloyd Kelly?

How many have been ready for 1st team football? He wasn't afraid of using Max when he had to but its hard given only 1 keeper slot, Antoine's had 13 championship appearances. Its not like we've sold/released those who have gone on to play championship standard. Bobby wasn't exactly a first team regular when LJ came in.

19 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bristol-city-duo-close-to-agreeing-deals-at-ashton-gate/amp/

This article has just popped up on my recommendations and it made me think that are we really on the cusp of producing top quality footballers or is it just hyperbole from the club to justify it's expenditure on the academy?

I admit, I know next to nothing about our youth players from U16's to U21's as apart from one interview with LJ recently, nobody at the club (or fans on social media) has ever really hyped up our youth players. Is this because we want to keep it low key or because we dont want to put too much pressure on the the better players or because we dont have any top prospects? I honestly dont know.

For years our academy was poorly ran, but recently we have seen the likes of Reid, Bryan and Kelly move upwards and they were here before the restructuring and investment into the academy (and lower age groups) happened.

This leads me to believe that considering the large investment we have put into it over the last 5-6 years we should start seeing returns on that over the next few years and onwards which will, hopefully, bear fruit.

Does anyone have an opinion on our players or set-up when it comes down to our younger age groups? Genuinely interested.

In the case of Bryan academy coaches stated he was a stellar prospect for an extended period of time as he left the academy and progressed upwards.  

This leads me to believe that considering the large investment we have put into it over the last 5-6 years .. How large is that investment? What has been gained by the sales of Bryan, Kelly and Reid?

In the case of the younger age groups its pretty hard to identify who will go on to pro level. Its a case of even with x, y and z you can't be sure. The numbers of successes v numbers in are miniscule. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

How many have been ready for 1st team football? He wasn't afraid of using Max when he had to but its hard given only 1 keeper slot, Antoine's had 13 championship appearances. Its not like we've sold/released those who have gone on to play championship standard. Bobby wasn't exactly a first team regular when LJ came in.

One might argue that Antoine was a signing from SGS College (aged 17 3/4).  He might qualify as club developed, in the same way Han-Noah will next season, but not a true academy player in the purest sense.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One might argue that Antoine was a signing from SGS College (aged 17 3/4).  He might qualify as club developed, in the same way Han-Noah will next season, but not a true academy player in the purest sense.

Exactly this 

19 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

I disagree our academy has never been poorly run, its always been one of the best academies conpared to other teams around us and at our level, ut has however stepped up and been invested in more. We have produced more academy products, 10 15 years ago than we do today, who have made long careers with either city or other teams

11 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

I disagree our academy has never been poorly run, its always been one of the best academies conpared to other teams around us and at our level, ut has however stepped up and been invested in more. We have produced more academy products, 10 15 years ago than we do today, who have made long careers with either city or other teams

Yeah sadly , historically our top academy prospects were cherry picked by bigger clubs before breaking through at City .

We see a bit less of this nowadays.

On 22/03/2020 at 10:44, phantom said:

The other question is how likely are any of these going to be to playing for us?

We have seen a massive swing this season from bringing through any younger player to suddenly bringing in older more experienced players

There's finding the right balance. If you look through the Match day threads or any threads after a loss, it seems the majority are baying for LJ to leave. Playing an untested 17 year old in a 1st team match is a huge risk when you look at where we are in the league, performances, etc. It would be easier to blood 1 or 2 youngsters in a team that dominated possession, but for us where we have a few chances and the ones we do we need to capitalise on, it's clear why LJ has focussed on experienced players who can make the most of these.

35 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Don’t Southampton have a facility in Bath or something?

There is the competition to sign the best talent up to your academy and then the combat against the Category 1 academys who swoop in and cream off the best lads from the lower classed ones. 

Think Herbie Kane for example.

On 21/03/2020 at 23:16, RED4LIFE said:

Read that Soady and Towler getting pro deals too.

Archived