Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
TomF

Euro 96

ITV just posted this up on YouTube.   A nice way to forget about every thing present and remember that wonderful(ish) summer

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Probably the best tournament I've witnessed, not least because it was in England and the feel good factor everyone had. Watched the games in packed pubs with great atmosphere. Beating Scotland with that goal from gazza, and that celebration. Winning a penalty shoot out! I remember my mate asking me before the Holland game for my prediction, I said 4-0 (joking) couldn't believe it when we went 4-0 up. Didn't mind them getting the one back as it knocked Scotland out :). Great times. 

Watched the Scotland game in a rangers supporters club in Sydney with a midnight kick 

absolutely mental night but have to admit the 4 of us left after the game and let them fight amongst themselves 

brilliant atmosphere leading up to game as you can imagine with a midnight kickoff 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Watched the Scotland game in a rangers supporters club in Sydney with a midnight kick 

absolutely mental night but have to admit the 4 of us left after the game and let them fight amongst themselves 

brilliant atmosphere leading up to game as you can imagine with a midnight kickoff 

Something special about late matches abroad. Watched the whole of the world cup run in Thailand and Cambodia. For the Sweden game we found the only bar with sports on a tiny Island and was absolutely rammed the entire night. 

Going on a 32hr ferry/train journey the next morning was a painful experience however!

• Like 1

I remember watching the Holland game, Still think that was the best performance I have seen from any England team that night. I was absolutely devastated after the Germany game kept thinking why did Gazza pause for that split second!!

Went to Holland v Switzerland at Villa Park and Germany v Russia at Old Trafford. The latter was the day after the Manchester bomb (which happened on the same day as England-Scotland) so the atmosphere was a bit weird.

55 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Something special about late matches abroad. Watched the whole of the world cup run in Thailand and Cambodia. For the Sweden game we found the only bar with sports on a tiny Island and was absolutely rammed the entire night. 

Going on a 32hr ferry/train journey the next morning was a painful experience however!

Not as glamerous as yours but spent a lot of the 2018 world Cup in Spain. Just outside Mojacar for anyone who knows that area. Watching the games at my in laws old villa while laying on a sun lounger in the pool, other games in bars. Great times. 

• Like 1

i remember after the Scotland game, one pundit suggested the ground should open up and swallow gazza.

That way  we'd all remember him for his performance v the Scots and not what's happened since.

I’ve got vivid memories of Euro 96: Gazza’s goal v Scotland; Pearce’s penalty v Spain; the scintillating win v Holland; that split second when Gazza slid in v Germany and it looked like he was going to score; the awful realisation when Germany’s winning penalty went in. 

I’m still gutted we didn’t win that tournament. 

That penalty celebration by Pearce, brought tears to my eyes then and still does now.

• Flames 1

On 23/03/2020 at 05:34, WSMRobin said:

Probably the best tournament I've witnessed, not least because it was in England and the feel good factor everyone had. Watched the games in packed pubs with great atmosphere. Beating Scotland with that goal from gazza, and that celebration. Winning a penalty shoot out! I remember my mate asking me before the Holland game for my prediction, I said 4-0 (joking) couldn't believe it when we went 4-0 up. Didn't mind them getting the one back as it knocked Scotland out :). Great times. 

My tournament was as follows with my wife.

Group matches :

Czech v Germany at Old Trafford

Scotland v Switzerland and Switzerland v Netherlands at Villa Park

Knockout games

France v Netherlands at Anfield

France v Czech at Old Trafford.

Final at Wembley Germany v Czech

A great tournament and at the final met up with a German colleague from the same company I worked at in England. My wife sat with him with all the German fans, while I was in a block at other end wearing my City shirt with a couple of dozen City and Gas fans.

Superb football and great camaraderie between all the fans.

Edited by cidered abroad

That is total quality, cheers @TomF .

Going to have chance to watch some doc's if our company ever decides to take the Govs off to shut down.
Started watching The Test, really enjoy watching the Aussies struggle .