IGNORED

Home schooling

Bar BS3

So today, those parents amongst us enter the world of home schooling. Most, probably whilst juggling working from home. 

Ideas, tips etc here....?

1st lesson of today is going to be ancient history - so I’m showing them a replay of a Bristol Derby match..! ?

I’ve got my 8 year old home. Have spoken to his teachers etc and we’ve got a rough plan...

At 9am Joe Wicks is doing a live PE for kids for 30 minutes each day on YouTube. Then we’ve got to do some of his spellings.

Bit of a break then he is starting a project, he’s chosen the history of Bristol City so we’ll be doing research (reading) and then writing about it. Think we can spread this out for a few weeks.

After lunch we’ll do some maths on the iPad app the school use and then we’ll do something for an hour at the end of the day like a science experiment or a painting or something like that.

The school have said anything “enriching” is good and make sure they’re active.

Hope that helps.

23 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So today, those parents amongst us enter the world of home schooling. Most, probably whilst juggling working from home. 

Ideas, tips etc here....?

1st lesson of today is going to be ancient history - so I’m showing them a replay of a Bristol Derby match..! ?

20 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Your very naughty.

I would try some gentle punctuation this morning, @Bar BS3

If anything good can come out of this current situation, I would hope it is a society-wide recognition of who are actually the key workers in our world: teachers being one such under-appreciated group.

I don't have kids, but I can't imagine having to deal with home-schooling on top of everything else. Fair play to you all.

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Saw a belting tweet the other day (think I posted it in the other thread) "there are some parents who are about to discover that it's not the teacher or the school that are the problem"

I'm in the school whats app group and obviously this morning is extra busy. Staggered by how many parents are ignoring the advice and work set out . A couple actually proud that there children are still in bed !

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I'm in the school whats app group and obviously this morning is extra busy. Staggered by how many parents are ignoring the advice and work set out . A couple actually proud that there children are still in bed !

Chatting to my brother-in-law yesterday. He works in banking, and his wife is a teacher, so they are both tagged as key employees. His wife is having to go in to her school part-time to cover the shifts to ensure the key-employee nippers are taken care of. They themselves have 4 kids, and was telling me that in his school WhatsApp group, there were parents where only 1 is deemed key, so the other is now at home, but the parents were saying "well, we'll send little Johnny in this week because we could do with the break." I am not sure that is how it is supposed to work.

4 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Chatting to my brother-in-law yesterday. He works in banking, and his wife is a teacher, so they are both tagged as key employees. His wife is having to go in to her school part-time to cover the shifts to ensure the key-employee nippers are taken care of. They themselves have 4 kids, and was telling me that in his school WhatsApp group, there were parents where only 1 is deemed key, so the other is now at home, but the parents were saying "well, we'll send little Johnny in this week because we could do with the break." I am not sure that is how it is supposed to work.

My brother is doing this. His wife is a key worker but he isn’t and is working from home. Sending his kid into school as ‘otherwise he wouldn’t get much work done’.   Can’t get through to him that he’s being selfish! 

On 23/03/2020 at 10:13, And Its Smith said:

My brother is doing this. His wife is a key worker but he isn’t and is working from home. Sending his kid into school as ‘otherwise he wouldn’t get much work done’.   Can’t get through to him that he’s being selfish! 

I understood where there were two parents at home and only one was designated a key worker , that the children should stay at home. Some people can’t get any work done and aren’t getting paid either.

Archived