IGNORED

The Official “What’s Your Favourite Classic Thread” Thread

CyderInACan

It's not filed in the Classic Thread section but my favourite I think was started by Dolly in memory of her friend's husband who had just passed away. Both were OTIB posters.

Basically, it was a thread where you could reveal your true self and not hide behind your moniker. There were a few who thought it wasn't a good idea to post for security issues. Within a few days, it was the no1 thread in popularity. However, once most had posted, it descended the charts and into oblivion.

I can't remember the thread title but I'd like to read the posts again especially as I've been on here a few years now.

It would be lovely to see it again and for others to add.

15 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

It's not filed in the Classic Thread section but my favourite I think was started by Dolly in memory of her friend's husband who had just passed away. Both were OTIB posters.

Basically, it was a thread where you could reveal your true self and not hide behind your moniker. There were a few who thought it wasn't a good idea to post for security issues. Within a few days, it was the no1 thread in popularity. However, once most had posted, it descended the charts and into oblivion.

I can't remember the thread title but I'd like to read the posts again especially as I've been on here a few years now.

I’ve got a feeling that thread is how me and @CyderInACan became reacquainted with our cousin, @oldstandrobin As a result, our families have become much closer, we’ve shared a lot of memories......and might have had a few beers on more than one occasion!

14 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Yes, a lot of people did open up big time and there was a lot of love and support from others - it made me feel quite proud to read some of the supportive and genuinely caring stuff on there and I like to think it might have helped a few folks going through dark times to know that there were many of us out there thinking of them.

20 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

This one?

3 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

I’ve got a feeling that thread is how me and @CyderInACan became reacquainted with our cousin, @oldstandrobin As a result, our families have become much closer, we’ve shared a lot of memories......and might have had a few beers on more than one occasion!

Spot on Neil, families can split away dead easy for all sorts of reasons, in my case by moving for a few years to Spain but OTIB brought us back as a family. What a family. Dare I say BCFC's greatest set of supporters............................or do others know different ( I include in this Neil and Reg's Dad, Robert, our grand-dad Ivor, my dad , Alan, brother Steve, cousin Andrew, now sadly supporting Spurs) Some of us support the boys here, others from Heaven but common theme is that our xxxxxxxxxxxgranddad was a publican in Clifton and many descendants were Coopers in South Bristol. South Bristol we are. City we are. City till we die.

50 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

My names Tony Jones and I'm alot bloody older now than when that thread first started

Not a thread as such, but in 2014 City played Telford in the cup. There was a Telford supporter who  was or, more probably, pretended to a woman and deliberately posted garbled messages in semi English. Can anyone remember who she / he was? 

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Not a thread as such, but in 2014 City played Telford in the cup. There was a Telford supporter who  was or, more probably, pretended to a woman and deliberately posted garbled messages in semi English. Can anyone remember who she / he was? 

That was very surreal. IIRC other Telford fans were coming on the thread saying he/she did it on every team they played`s forums.

It was mostly about chips wasn`t it?

2 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Spot on Neil, families can split away dead easy for all sorts of reasons, in my case by moving for a few years to Spain but OTIB brought us back as a family. What a family. Dare I say BCFC's greatest set of supporters............................or do others know different ( I include in this Neil and Reg's Dad, Robert, our grand-dad Ivor, my dad , Alan, brother Steve, cousin Andrew, now sadly supporting Spurs) Some of us support the boys here, others from Heaven but common theme is that our xxxxxxxxxxxgranddad was a publican in Clifton and many descendants were Coopers in South Bristol. South Bristol we are. City we are. City till we die.

Absolutely spot on. I’m absolutely chuffed a big part of the family has found its way back together and the greatest compliment we can pay each other is that it’s like we’ve never been apart! 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That was very surreal. IIRC other Telford fans were coming on the thread saying he/she did it on every team they played`s forums.

It was mostly about chips wasn`t it?

I remember him / her now.  He / she was AFCTERESA. A quick Google search will see him / her on lots of other teams forums 

NTTDS has had some quite brilliant threads, photos of roundabouts and industrial estates at obscure away grounds, helpful travel advice, return trips to Newcastle.....without getting off the plane.

But my all time favourite story is of his well documented presence at the Sky Sports AGM each year, with even the broadsheets mentioning him in their write-up's. The whole meeting would kick off with James Murdoch wondering if NTTDS was there to ask why Bristol City weren't on Sky more often.

If Murdoch had read some of his threads on here there would surely be a Karl Pilkington type series for NTTDS on Sky. 

On 23/03/2020 at 18:12, CyderInACan said:

Had a wee peruse of some of the Classic Threads earlier, just to cheer me up a bit and keep me from worrying endlessly about the C-word. 

Got me thinking which were the best ones? Must say that my top two are the (Vince) hilarious “Dion Dublin” thread by @oldstandrobin and the infamous “Hartlepool Trip” thread by @Never to the dark side  

OTIB at its absolute bonkers best. Guaranteed to cheer you up in dark times like this. 

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/forum/38-archivesclassics/

Ironically in today’s modern world of online check in I reckon he could have actually achieved what he wanted to do now. 

6 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

given a like but a love icon would have summed it up better.

Thanks to Silvio for finding me the link.

I have just re-read them all again. Hopefully, Tipps69 has made a full recovery and In The Net is still able to come onto OTIB. Nice to read about MD and his reminiscence of Speedway. Jason Crump will be riding for Ipswich again this year sometime. His dad Phil was my hero and lived in Nailsea....as I did!

I'm still non the wiser as to who Gert Mare (great chant he had) really is despite a name change and a big clue from the Major (Elementary my dear, Watson)! Started off at Wolves, played in same team as Ian Holloway and entertained us in the early 80s? If Gert or anyone else could PM with the answer, that would be great.

On 23/03/2020 at 20:19, Dollymarie said:

Has to be either Steve Brooker and THAT fan of his, or Giles and Kelly! :D 

Although the one about me transferring to the “other lot” was pretty funny too! 

She's come back to supporting City now as well...must've been since Steveo retired!  She's also married now I believe (though not to Steveo!!).  I think she's on the facebook group.

Giles and Kelly was amazing!  I'd have felt sorry for him, but it was too funny!

Archived