IGNORED

The Good Old Days

AppyDAZE

The 20th Century. What do you miss about it folks? Because I'm starting to miss pretty much everything about it TBH.

The good ol' days before coronavirus (of course), before 9/11, before Greta's grim message about our poor planet dying, before all the crap we seem to have to be putting up with in the news day after day. What the **** have any of us done to deserve the 21st century? ...   Probably best not to answer that, cos i think i might know the answer to that question.

As I've said elsewhere... I miss record shops to start with, and lots and lots of other things

Wish we could turn back time.

14 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

The 20th Century. What do you miss about it folks? Because I'm starting to miss pretty much everything about it TBH.

The good ol' days before coronavirus (of course), before 9/11, before Greta's grim message about our poor planet dying, before all the crap we seem to have to be putting up with in the news day after day. What the **** have any of us done to deserve the 21st century? ...   Probably best not to answer that, cos i think i might know the answer to that question.

As I've said elsewhere... I miss record shops to start with, and lots and lots of other things

Wish we could turn back time.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be.........

I could list quite a number of things I don’t miss about the 20th century......two world wars, Vietnam..... The Cold War, arms race. AIDS, and that’s without giving it much thought.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I could list quite a number of things I don’t miss about the 20th century......two world wars, Vietnam..... The Cold War, arms race. AIDS, and that’s without giving it much thought.

You remember them better than i @Robbored of course, AIDS is in my time I'll give you, but most of my memories of the 20th century are far better than my memories, so far from this one.

All joking aside the 20th century also saw the end of the USSR as well as Apartheid in South Africa. It saw the UK join the Common Market and it also saw City reach an FA Cup Final and play in the country's highest division. 

But it's high point was 1973. No doubt about that. 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

All joking aside the 20th century also saw the end of the USSR as well as Apartheid in South Africa. It saw the UK join the Common Market and it also saw City reach an FA Cup Final and play in the country's highest division. 

But it's high point was 1973. No doubt about that. 

1950 and 1953 were both excellent years in Southmead Hospital as were 1973 and 1975 Reg  ?

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

All joking aside the 20th century also saw the end of the USSR as well as Apartheid in South Africa. 

To be fair, it also saw the start of both of those things. ;) 

I think every generation feels nostalgic for the time when they were young. For me the mid 90’s to late 00’s was the greatest period, but that’s because I was in my teens and 20s.

I’m sure older people think the 60s and 70s were the greatest time to live.

Correct me if I'm wrong people but in my memory, the halcyon days were 1989 to 2001.

The Berlin wall came down

Thatcher's reign ended

Oasis, Blur, Pulp etc

The New Labour optimism, 'Cool Britannia'

1990 World Cup

The Premier League begins

Computer games are getting good

Euro 96 euphoria

The internet arrives, as a force for good

Social media did NOT exist

The middle eastern was out of sight out of mind

Despite economic crisis in early 90s, the economy soon boomed for much of the decade

The world just seemed a relatively benign place.

Then 9/11 in 2001, followed by Iraq, Afghanistan and the war on terror. Social media arrived seemingly benign, but proving to be a Pandora's Box. Now, democracy is in crisis, a Pandemic could take our beloved and recession looms. Humans are data points to tech companies and the robots are coming to take our jobs. How I yearn for those 12 years!

On 24/03/2020 at 23:18, Robbored said:

Hearsay, Shakin Stevens, Sweet, The Beatles, The Osmonds

On 25/03/2020 at 17:00, Lanterne Rouge said:

The fact that I was under forty.

stone ?

Archived