IGNORED

Birmingham City

E.G.Red

Birmingham City have become the first championship club to announce a pay cut of players wages 50% for those earning over £6k a week for four months, payable back in stages when the season resumes. Don’t know how many of our players would fall in this category if City followed on a similar basis. Like the rugby I can see this being picked up by other Championship and higher end League 1 clubs.

I hope out of all this the obscene transfers and wages are massively dropped for good. If Sky/BT lose shed loads of money through subscriptions (and poss the season cancelled), their subscribers losing money due to no work/lost businesses etc, there could be a lot less money for football in general. 

Could we see a big change in the future or is there just too much money in the game?

4 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I hope out of all this the obscene transfers and wages are massively dropped for good. If Sky/BT lose shed loads of money through subscriptions (and poss the season cancelled), their subscribers losing money due to no work/lost businesses etc, there could be a lot less money for football in general. 

Could we see a big change in the future or is there just too much money in the game?

I can't see it collapsing because there is too much money sloshing around in the Premier League; individual clubs can mess up but for every imploding Sunderland or Bolton there is a Bournemouth ready to step up and take their place.

The only thing that would rescue English football would be if the Chinese league really took off and became the de facto best in the world league that the EPL is at present.

Then all the top players would head there for the money and the TV subscriptions would follow leaving the EPL with much reduced TV income and much more reliant upon gate receipts.

India has done similar with cricket so maybe this will happen at some point. I can't see that anything else will save English football.

If subscribers leave Sky/BT though (which I think is bound to happen due to the current climate), surely they won't be able to pay the fortunes that they did for the last contract? Which should in theory filter down.

The current PL contract is only up until the next season, I assume that means including next season. It will be interesting to see what they are willing to pay for the next contract.

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

We are going to see a change in everything  in my opinion- football, entertainment, services, everything.  Hell, even the local chip shop will be doing things differently.  COIVD-19 will reset it all. This reaches far beyond any financial crises. 

I was quite surprised to find football clubs are part of the government 80% scheme

Forest Green have placed all staff, including players and coaches, on furlough leave during the coronavirus crisis.

The Nailsworth-based League Two club have announced that they will be using the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme that was announced by the goverment last week, which allows employees to stay on the payroll as a furloughed worker and claim up to 80 per cent of their wage up to £2,500 per month.

English football has been suspended until at least April 30 due to the pandemic that has led to the country going into lockdown, with players currently unable to train together.

Football clubs across the country have been hit with no income coming through their gates and Forest Green have moved to ease the situation.

38 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

We are going to see a change in everything  in my opinion- football, entertainment, services, everything.  Hell, even the local chip shop will be doing things differently.  COIVD-19 will reset it all. This reaches far beyond any financial crises. 

I don't think that will be the case at all.  The pause button has been pressed and the government is paying or loaning the money to keep things ticking over.

Any business that was already close to the edge with falling profits and big debts - which is a lot of non-food physical retail - will go. John Lewis for one but that's just bringing forward the inevitable.

All the other things you cite will be in as much, or as little, demand as ever.

It changes a lot in the short term but other than that it's merely going to accelerate the demise of already dying businesses.

Think most of our senior players will be £6k plus.  Maybe not the young ones, like O'Leary, etc....but I can't think of one player in our current squad who I think would be on less.

Think a lot of clubs will be taking this route for cashflow reasons.

In lower divisions suspect Furlough option will be used.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

A deferment is different to a cut, and if the players are happy then fair enough. 

Well it's a temp cut- deferral is fine.

However these are exceptional times, many people across an economy are taking a hit- don't see why they should get much choice in it tbh, players in general I mean.

Much choice in a deferral that is.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well it's a temp cut- deferral is fine.

However these are exceptional times, many people across an economy are taking a hit- don't see why they should get much choice in it tbh, players in general I mean.

Much choice in a deferral that is.

Suppose the argument there is 'I can't meet my financial commitments on 6k a week, what are you doing?'

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As for this, I thought it was a matter of time tbh. 

1) Championship clubs lose money, just a question of how much. 

2) This is even with normal cash flow. This has as of now fallen to zero at least at this time.

3) Wages even with normal income are in excess of 100% of turnover. 

Something's gotta give...

Something does have to give and I think it was always obvious that the damn would eventually burst - I never thought a pandemic would be that straw but I reckon there's a good chance that the house of cards will come tumbling: essentially because covid-19 has such far-reaching implications across all walks of life and all industries in every single country. Maybe i'm being overly catastrophic, but there's surely a good chance that it could stand to cripple modern football as we know it (which in all honesty, isn't a bad thing). 

Even the power clubs that hold the aces stand to be effected - what importance will a sporting vanity project now hold with a sheikh or oligarch that's seen his business interests take a hearty kick in the nuts. 

Interesting times ahead of us, who knows, maybe this is a catalyst that sees football returning to its roots... 

On a tangent, it's great to see how irrelevant these millionaire footballers genuinely are when compared to the real everyday heroes we've seen emerge across the globe - the doctors, the scientists, and crikey, this deluge of volunteers that the NHS has had. These are the real heroes worthy of the giant salary!

20 hours ago, RedM said:

I was quite surprised to find football clubs are part of the government 80% scheme

Forest Green have placed all staff, including players and coaches, on furlough leave during the coronavirus crisis.

The Nailsworth-based League Two club have announced that they will be using the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme that was announced by the goverment last week, which allows employees to stay on the payroll as a furloughed worker and claim up to 80 per cent of their wage up to £2,500 per month.

English football has been suspended until at least April 30 due to the pandemic that has led to the country going into lockdown, with players currently unable to train together.

Football clubs across the country have been hit with no income coming through their gates and Forest Green have moved to ease the situation.

The government backed 80% is capped at about £2,500 a month though. 
So less than £600 a week isn’t going make a huge dent into wage commitments of most clubs L1 & above. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Where did all those messages go? 

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Interesting 

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Obviously free speech and debate don't exist in reality. 

This thread was about teams not paying their staff etc, and went off on a massive tangent about China !

I'll leave this comments on here for a while for everyone to see then tidy it up "again"

Archived