Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Newquay-Red

Your favourite away day memories?

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He was from just outside Nottingham and didn't like Clough was why it was Notts County.

I think he actually was a fan but wasn't sufficiently interested to ever watch them!

Yeah I can imagine at that time Notts County was a good way to prove you weren't a "plastic".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He was from just outside Nottingham and didn't like Clough was why it was Notts County.

I think he actually was a fan but wasn't sufficiently interested to ever watch them!

Sounds like a sag .Yeah! I’m a gas head born and bred,have you ever watched them,are you mad ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Yeah I can imagine at that time Notts County was a good way to prove you weren't a "plastic".

Yes, if I was from Manchester in the 90s and not that interested in football I'd have probably claimed to be a Man City fan because I didn't like Utd so I could see where he was coming from.

F A Cup third round 1982 Carlisle away.

I thought I'd go on my tod.

Fortunately, the Official City Train that left TM that fairly cold Saturday morning had compartments and it wasn't long before conversations started. 

The first thing I remember about Carlisle Station was being hit in the face by the extreme temperature drop. The walk to the ground was at least in the dry. However, the away end had the turnstiles at the top of a mud bank. No concrete steps etc just mud. 

Whilst the game was uneventful and required a replay, the journey home included a visit to all compartments by members of the new board of Directors. 

Another memory was when City played their first ever Sunday match after the league rules had been relaxed mid 80s. It was away to Torquay. We had to stand in the terrace by the half way line.

During the second half, Terry Cooper decided to become a right winger and 'stormed' passed us. However, TC must have heard some heckling and whilst still 'dribbling' with ball shouted back, "I didnt get 20 England caps for nothing!" A score more than the heckler no doubt!

Millwall away in the 80s and returning on coach2 with five windows missing due to an ambush and rocket grenades (ok stones). The driver insisted on driving along the M4 at 40mph otherwise all the other windows would be blown out due to pressure. If only Mythbusters was still going on TV. I'd love to know if this driver info was correct. Anyone know?

• Like 2

A couple more that come to mind - 

Always enjoyed the trip to Saltergate, Chesterfield, beers in The Junction pub (I think that was the name) just in the side streets by the ground, made more memorable one year where the driver said entering the town 'is it me or is that spire on the piss?'.....cue many a laugh from inside the car!

Stockport FA Cup, think we won 4-0 or 4-1?, big Kevin Francis playing for them, in the pub before the game things got a little heated with both sets of fans after some good natured banter, then a proper scuffle broke out, the pub then cleared by the OB, only to be greeted by a police horse in the door to the pub! One more stride and it would have been fully in the pub.

Plymouth, not too long ago in the League, having beers in The Britannia (one of their boozers), pub clears to the windows as City are outside rushing to the pub.  Only 6 people left at the bar, myself and 5 mates, barman says quietly 'you're not Plymouth, are you?'....'nope'.....'another round anyone?'

Happy bloody days!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Tinnion penalty? I had travelled on my tod from Manchester. Didn't enjoy the walk back to the station.

It sure was, a bleak but memorable day out in Middlesbrough! I remember it being strange because there were advertising panels close to the back of the net - Tinnion’s pen hit the back of the net but also rebounded straight back out as it also hit an advertising panel through the net - and for a moment it looked like his pen had struck the post and he’d missed - so there was a weird delayed celebration from the City fans as we suddenly realised it had gone in when the players lined up for Boro to kick off! 

Also, didn’t a Boro fan charge across the width of the pitch to rip up his ST and throw it at Lennie Lawrence on their bench?! And it was our first win away at Boro for 86 years in 27 attempts! Happy days!

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

Of recent years Fulham in 16-17 (0-2) and Reading in 07-08 (0-2) spring to mind. After both I genuinely thought we might be heading for promotion. 

Last season, Millwall (1-2) wasn't bad either.

10 hours ago, DSTAF said:

Was that the tinman penalty?  If so, I was there.  A Boro supporter ran on to the pitch and ripped his ST up. 

yes think I can remember that, good ole days

Opening day of the 1996 season, a few of us drove up to Gillingham. Getting there very early we were able to park in the road leading up to their away end. We then used the little lane that takes you on to the next road and around to the away turnstiles. 

The match itself was going well, we were two goals up (possibly 2-1,can't quite remember). When the second goal went in a couple of our fans spilled onto the edge of the pitch but the Gills stewards calmly ushered them back onto the terrace. There was one fat, bald bloke with his shirt off on the Gills terrace next to the away end who had been a one man agro machine and after seeing our fans on his beloved pitch he went absolutely apoplectic. There was much laughter and banter from the City end when said fatty got lead away by a copper and thrown out. 

The game ended 3-2 to Gillingham which wasn't the best start to the season. 

After the game we couldn't walk back to the car the quick way via the lane because the police were stopping fans from using it so we had to walk to the end of the road and round and back up the next to the car. This was probably a good thing as it let the Gills fans clear away. All that was for one little kid who looked at our group in our City shirts pointed and went "hah hah" before running back into his house. 

It was a long journey back to Bristol. 

Mansfield Town 4-5 Bristol City. End of thread. Will never, ever, see anything like that ever again. Lucky enough to say I was there. A standard 3rd division fixture, and it still gets talked about now. Tells you everything you need to know.

5 hours ago, matalan12 said:

Mansfield Town 4-5 Bristol City. End of thread. Will never, ever, see anything like that ever again. Lucky enough to say I was there. A standard 3rd division fixture, and it still gets talked about now. Tells you everything you need to know.

Driving back from that game, Jonathan Pearce was fronting 606. He was asking for fans to phone in. I remember a Mansfield lady telling JP about how dire the ref was especially over the 5 mins added time.

NTTDS should have been in our car because on the A50, we overtook the Flying Scotsman! It was on a low-loader transporter.

I was interviewed afterwards by the BP as we were parked near the team coach. No idea if I made it onto the hallowed pages!

I'll always remember going into Burger King near their ground after the game and queuing behind a father and young son. Both looked shell-shocked whilst we were at the other end of the physical/emotional spectrum.

On 25/03/2020 at 21:40, BanburyRed said:

Leicester FA Cup 3rd round, Jacki, Jacki, Jacki - like an ice skater without skates, freezing conditions, red hot performance!  Made friends that day that are still friends til this day, even discovered we drank in the same pub in Hanham (Maypole)

For some bizarre reason I recall a group of us trying to set fire to a Rovers shirt in the away end @ Manor Ground Oxford one year, @Harrymight be able to help me here?!

Ah yes. Was that Oxford one the same game when the tea shack was relieved of it’s sugar cubes at half time, spotted again only when they started raining down on the opposition keeper! 
That prompted the old bill to enter the terrace to apprehend the sugar-throwers, only for them to retreat again when you decided to start singing “surge surge, super surge” and we all bounced and pushed and jostled the police into a hasty retreat. 

As for the Leicester game. That was one of those strange life coincidences. We pulled up in a very small car park about a mile from the ground to find another car just parked up with a couple of City fans. We talked, and walked to the ground together, and then saw them in the car park on the way back. Said our farewells, and headed back to Bristol. 
Got back, went straight to the Maypole, and who was playing pool - the two lads from the Leicester car park! 
They’d just moved into a shared house over the road from the Maypole, and we all became good mates. 
A very happy coincidence that day, to go with a mint away day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ah yes. Was that Oxford one the same game when the tea shack was relieved of it’s sugar cubes at half time, spotted again only when they started raining down on the opposition keeper! 
That prompted the old bill to enter the terrace to apprehend the sugar-throwers, only for them to retreat again when you decided to start singing “surge surge, super surge” and we all bounced and pushed and jostled the police into a hasty retreat. 

As for the Leicester game. That was one of those strange life coincidences. We pulled up in a very small car park about a mile from the ground to find another car just parked up with a couple of City fans. We talked, and walked to the ground together, and then saw them in the car park on the way back. Said our farewells, and headed back to Bristol. 
Got back, went straight to the Maypole, and who was playing pool - the two lads from the Leicester car park! 
They’d just moved into a shared house over the road from the Maypole, and we all became good mates. 
A very happy coincidence that day, to go with a mint away day. 

Ah yes, the 'sugar cube' incident!!  Their keeper literally didn't know what had hit him, and he'll have never been involved in a game like it since!

Happy days indeed!

I enjoyed Millwall away last season.

Enjoyed it for a specific reason- was a proper decent day, started drinking on way up with a mate then went from there.

More drink...some winning bets on City- nearly got ejected at half time, was good away game- didn't O'Leary save a pen, was quite high up this time so could stand.

Specific reason I enjoyed it was it was my mates first away game- he's been with me at home pretty often but that was a good one to take him to- always a little bit of edge at Millwall.

The last 15 mins turnaround, O'Leary penalty save saw the late turnaround kick in- missed it this year but if and only if we're still down or we're in the same division, will look to do it again next year!

Charlton away was good too in 2016- went with a mate, first City away game, a different one- LJ's first game but not first game as it was still Pemberton but he was announced that day, good atmosphere again- crucial win in a six pointer- all told, pretty enjoyable!

for some reason two games really stand out

1) Sheffield utd when we dragged them down to our division, remember they did good pies but a long drive home 3 hours sleep then up for work(young then)

2) Walsall 3rd game and David F in Kelly.

• Like 1

Surprised that nobody's mentioned the mid-week FA Cup replay at Elland Road in the 1970's.  During the 3 day week, so was played in the afternoon I believe.  Leeds were top of the old Division One, and I remember that Donnie Gillies had his picture on the front of The Times the following day.  Surely that must have been a memorable day out?

Another great day out with the lot I was with at the time was Charlton away 2008 night game (the flare incident). The OB expected 500 to turn up, instead over 3000 went.

It was one of those spur of the moment away games where word got round that a lot was going. The away end was noisy to say the least. It is quite often the spur of the moment games we all remember rather than the headline games.

• Like 2

One real odd one sticks in my mind, Luton away in the Anglo Italian early 90's I would think.

Probably no more than 50 in the away end, players trying to give away complimentary tickets outside, but it was the days of all ticket for away fans at Luton.

The stewards tried to make you sit in your allocated seat!

For the record, 1-0 win Wayne Allison scored from memory.

47 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Another great day out with the lot I was with at the time was Charlton away 2008 night game (the flare incident). The OB expected 500 to turn up, instead over 3000 went.

It was one of those spur of the moment away games where word got round that a lot was going. The away end was noisy to say the least. It is quite often the spur of the moment games we all remember rather than the headline games.

A random one I remember was Orient away in about 1989/90. There was a slim chance we could have gone up on the day if about six other results had fallen right. I got up there really early as I wanted to make sure I got parked for a quick getaway because I was picking up the (future at the time) Mrs LR from Gatwick afterwards. Strolling around outside I got talking to a couple of coppers who said `How many of your lot do you think will be here today? A couple of hundred?`. When I advised him of the (slim) possibility that we might go up and it would probably be 1000+ he totally panicked and got on his radio telling his bosses that they`d need to send a lot more bobbies down straight away!

May 1984 v Chester at Sealand Road was a great day for all city fans.  it was the day we got promoted from the old 4th division.  We had 3k up there and the atmosphere was fantastic. Those there i am sure will never forget that day. coyr