IGNORED

Your favourite away day memories?

The Nest Egg

On 25/03/2020 at 21:40, BanburyRed said:

Leicester FA Cup 3rd round, Jacki, Jacki, Jacki - like an ice skater without skates, freezing conditions, red hot performance!  Made friends that day that are still friends til this day, even discovered we drank in the same pub in Hanham (Maypole)

For some bizarre reason I recall a group of us trying to set fire to a Rovers shirt in the away end @ Manor Ground Oxford one year, @Harrymight be able to help me here?!

Ah yes. Was that Oxford one the same game when the tea shack was relieved of it’s sugar cubes at half time, spotted again only when they started raining down on the opposition keeper! 
That prompted the old bill to enter the terrace to apprehend the sugar-throwers, only for them to retreat again when you decided to start singing “surge surge, super surge” and we all bounced and pushed and jostled the police into a hasty retreat. 

As for the Leicester game. That was one of those strange life coincidences. We pulled up in a very small car park about a mile from the ground to find another car just parked up with a couple of City fans. We talked, and walked to the ground together, and then saw them in the car park on the way back. Said our farewells, and headed back to Bristol. 
Got back, went straight to the Maypole, and who was playing pool - the two lads from the Leicester car park! 
They’d just moved into a shared house over the road from the Maypole, and we all became good mates. 
A very happy coincidence that day, to go with a mint away day. 

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ah yes. Was that Oxford one the same game when the tea shack was relieved of it’s sugar cubes at half time, spotted again only when they started raining down on the opposition keeper! 
That prompted the old bill to enter the terrace to apprehend the sugar-throwers, only for them to retreat again when you decided to start singing “surge surge, super surge” and we all bounced and pushed and jostled the police into a hasty retreat. 

As for the Leicester game. That was one of those strange life coincidences. We pulled up in a very small car park about a mile from the ground to find another car just parked up with a couple of City fans. We talked, and walked to the ground together, and then saw them in the car park on the way back. Said our farewells, and headed back to Bristol. 
Got back, went straight to the Maypole, and who was playing pool - the two lads from the Leicester car park! 
They’d just moved into a shared house over the road from the Maypole, and we all became good mates. 
A very happy coincidence that day, to go with a mint away day. 

Ah yes, the 'sugar cube' incident!!  Their keeper literally didn't know what had hit him, and he'll have never been involved in a game like it since!

Happy days indeed!

I enjoyed Millwall away last season.

Enjoyed it for a specific reason- was a proper decent day, started drinking on way up with a mate then went from there.

More drink...some winning bets on City- nearly got ejected at half time, was good away game- didn't O'Leary save a pen, was quite high up this time so could stand.

Specific reason I enjoyed it was it was my mates first away game- he's been with me at home pretty often but that was a good one to take him to- always a little bit of edge at Millwall.

The last 15 mins turnaround, O'Leary penalty save saw the late turnaround kick in- missed it this year but if and only if we're still down or we're in the same division, will look to do it again next year!

Charlton away was good too in 2016- went with a mate, first City away game, a different one- LJ's first game but not first game as it was still Pemberton but he was announced that day, good atmosphere again- crucial win in a six pointer- all told, pretty enjoyable!

for some reason two games really stand out

1) Sheffield utd when we dragged them down to our division, remember they did good pies but a long drive home 3 hours sleep then up for work(young then)

2) Walsall 3rd game and David F in Kelly.

Surprised that nobody's mentioned the mid-week FA Cup replay at Elland Road in the 1970's.  During the 3 day week, so was played in the afternoon I believe.  Leeds were top of the old Division One, and I remember that Donnie Gillies had his picture on the front of The Times the following day.  Surely that must have been a memorable day out?

Another great day out with the lot I was with at the time was Charlton away 2008 night game (the flare incident). The OB expected 500 to turn up, instead over 3000 went.

It was one of those spur of the moment away games where word got round that a lot was going. The away end was noisy to say the least. It is quite often the spur of the moment games we all remember rather than the headline games.

One real odd one sticks in my mind, Luton away in the Anglo Italian early 90's I would think.

Probably no more than 50 in the away end, players trying to give away complimentary tickets outside, but it was the days of all ticket for away fans at Luton.

The stewards tried to make you sit in your allocated seat!

For the record, 1-0 win Wayne Allison scored from memory.

47 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Another great day out with the lot I was with at the time was Charlton away 2008 night game (the flare incident). The OB expected 500 to turn up, instead over 3000 went.

It was one of those spur of the moment away games where word got round that a lot was going. The away end was noisy to say the least. It is quite often the spur of the moment games we all remember rather than the headline games.

A random one I remember was Orient away in about 1989/90. There was a slim chance we could have gone up on the day if about six other results had fallen right. I got up there really early as I wanted to make sure I got parked for a quick getaway because I was picking up the (future at the time) Mrs LR from Gatwick afterwards. Strolling around outside I got talking to a couple of coppers who said `How many of your lot do you think will be here today? A couple of hundred?`. When I advised him of the (slim) possibility that we might go up and it would probably be 1000+ he totally panicked and got on his radio telling his bosses that they`d need to send a lot more bobbies down straight away!

On 29/03/2020 at 11:34, Hampshire reds said:

May 1984 v Chester at Sealand Road was a great day for all city fans.  it was the day we got promoted from the old 4th division.  We had 3k up there and the atmosphere was fantastic. Those there i am sure will never forget that day. coyr

Yep that's definitely one of my favourite memories and perhaps the most emotional day ever following City. When TC and the boys emerged in the directors box to salute us all on the pitch, City truly were back from the abyss and I think I may have got something in my eye. 

One of my favourites was 1971 ,early season at Shef Wed , Won 5-1 . Galley hat-trick, Garland and Emmanuel.  The ref was the famous rotund  Roger Kirkpatrick. When big John completed his treble with a thumping header from about the penalty spot, the ref applauded him back to the center spot (wouldn't get that now ). It was Chrissy's game though, and when he got subbed he got a standing ovation from the Wendy faithful...........which was nice !

On 26/03/2020 at 10:20, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I remember passing a coach of some glory hunters (Liverpool, I think), who were all quite staid. Our lot, on the other hand, were going mental, gesticulating, mooning, taking the piss. We were only Div 4, but it meant far more to us to get that lowly promotion!

Remember a coach load of Welsh Man Utd looked peed of as they come 2nd to Liverpool

Archived