IGNORED

no football till after July

S25loyal

I know this is corona related and there is a thread,  but it looks like there won’t be any football at Ashton gate (unless behind closed doors) till at least after July. 

The council have banned any mass gatherings till after July. (Waiting for someone to say “least rovers can play then”)

Surely time to cancel the season?

11 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

I know this is corona related and there is a thread,  but it looks like there won’t be any football at Ashton gate (unless behind closed doors) till at least after July. 

Said this from the outset. 

7 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Surely this only applies to council organised events? If this clears up by end of May and the rest of the football league is back up and running in mid June then BCC would not stand in the way

No it’s not, it’s any mass gatherings at all. 

16 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Surely this only applies to council organised events? If this clears up by end of May and the rest of the football league is back up and running in mid June then BCC would not stand in the way

That's a big call to have football back by June,  September at the earliest would be my guess. 

31 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Can't see why they can't just play the games behind closed doors. 

don't tavel unless necessary... football is not necessary

26 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Every squad player would have to be tested and clear of the virus. Imagine the insurance nightmare for a start.  I honestly believe this season is done .

Add to that you require medical staff at the ground, the NHS can do without that.

Anyone whining about it must finish can just do one as far as I am concerned.

Null and void it

6 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Don't want to go over it all again but if we go past June ,players contracts will be up in some cases that's just 1 obstacle. 

Not sure that is much of a problem, players can sign extensions of however long.

Just get on with it with the players available anyway.

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure that is much of a problem, players can sign extensions of however long.

Just get on with it with the players available anyway.

And medical staff that are required n attendance?  Null and void it.  Job done no one left in limbo

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

And medical staff that are required n attendance?  Null and void it.  Job done no one left in limbo

Well, medical staff are in attendance normally, no change there.

As for spectators, that depends on the circumstances at the time - either ok for full attendance or none at all. Either way, get the season finished. There may not be time for playoffs, if that is the case then top three go up automatically after the 46 games.

Feel free to disagree :)

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

As for spectators, that depends on the circumstances at the time - either ok for full attendance or none at all. Either way, get the season finished. There may not be time for playoffs, if that is the case then top three go up automatically after the 46 games.

Thank you I will. Scrap the season.  Safety first always.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

That is the point, medical staff are normall there anyway.  I think the point being, if they don't need to be there and can be in hospitals treating people that is where they should be.  Football is totally irrelevent in the countries current situation.

:) I disagree  bin it off. if not for the good of the country, then just so we can laugh at Liverpool!

• Admin
1 hour ago, S25loyal said:

I know this is corona related and there is a thread,  

What a great idea - start another one !!

36 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Have the EFL not said that the season will finish however long it takes ?

I don't know how many times people need to hear this

32 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Don't want to go over it all again but if we go past June ,players contracts will be up in some cases that's just 1 obstacle. 

That can easily be sorted - it won't just be footballers this sort of thing will be impacting people all over the place

• This topic was locked and unlocked
  • Admin
1 hour ago, S25loyal said:

The council have banned any mass gatherings till after July. (Waiting for someone to say “least rovers can play then”)

@S25loyal Are you referring to this story?

This is something different to sporting events this is more specific events that were scheduled

All public events in Bristol have been cancelled until the end of July at the earliest because of coronavirus, it has been announced

This year's Harbour Festival is one of several popular annual events that have been called off by Bristol City Council as the virus continues to spread.

A spokesperson said the decision has been made in light of the "government's clear advice surrounding social distancing, mass gatherings and non-essential social contact".

Events scheduled to take place beyond July will also be "placed under review" and could face either cancellation or postponement.

The council has announced it will no longer be accepting new event applications either, until further notice.

Bristol Mayor Marvin Rees said:

The festivals and events that take place here in the city each year positively enrich our culture, provide jobs and attract investment and Bristol has a long history as a successful host.

We recognise that these events being cancelled will be a huge disappointment to the hundreds of volunteers and organisations who put in a huge amount of time and effort into their planning and delivery. We sympathise hugely with them and many people hoping to attend these events over the next few months.

However, our top priority must be to make sure we can protect the vulnerable during this time of a national health crisis, and the government’s clear advice makes it necessary to take this decision. I hope people will understand these reasons and I’m confident that the vibrant, diverse and unique events that bring Bristol to life can return stronger in the future.

– MARVIN REES, MAYOR OF BRISTOL

John Hirst, from Destination Bristol, also responded to the announcement and said it was a "huge blow" to organisers, volunteers and the general public.

He said he's "very hopeful that Bristol’s much-cherished programme of events will bounce back even stronger in 2021.’’

People who have bought tickets for certain events are advised to liaise with the event organisers.

20 minutes ago, TRL said:

That is the point, medical staff are normall there anyway.  I think the point being, if they don't need to be there and can be in hospitals treating people that is where they should be.  Football is totally irrelevent in the countries current situation.

:) I disagree  bin it off. if not for the good of the country, then just so we can laugh at Liverpool!

The season should restart when the worst of the pandemic is over and its safe to do so, not during it. Without playoffs it can be done in around four weeks.

I agree, its irrelevant at this time.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

@phantom

Surely football counts as a public event? The dig for victory show at Ashton court is cancelled, how I found out about it and that isn’t ran by the council bar them renting Ashton court.

The council wouldn’t allow 20k people to go to football but ban other events. 

That decision will be made by the Government - what you are referring to is about controlling future events

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

That decision will be made by the Government - what you are referring to is about controlling future events

But they are future events. 

The dig for victory show has been cancelled due to the council banning mass gatherings following government advice till after July, football is no different ? 

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Can't see why they can't just play the games behind closed doors. 

Cant see why anyone still thinks a few games of football is still important to be honest.... All things considered does football even f'ing matter right now? 

Lets have a sense of perspective eh?   Hundreds of people are dying that will soon be thousands and possibly tens of thousands before long...  

Can't see Liverpool being happy to scrap this season. Personally I would re-start whenever it is safe. If that turns out to be October then condense next season, scrap cup competitions, only play eact team once etc. At least all that can be agreed in advance and everyone will know the rules at the outset. 

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Can't see Liverpool being happy to scrap this season. Personally I would re-start whenever it is safe. If that turns out to be October then condense next season, scrap cup competitions, only play eact team once etc. At least all that can be agreed in advance and everyone will know the rules at the outset. 

Playing each time once isn’t suitable for clubs, especially lower down the leagues.

Gste receipts keep them going and with paying wages at moment need all games they can get to stay afloat. 

Archived