IGNORED

no football till after July

S25loyal

One of the papers summed it up perfectly when they said null and void the season PL clubs will lose £760m.

Non league where money is small is ok to null but higher up the chain different rules apply due to the high stakes. 

Gone are the days where what we played on the park is what we see on tv or at the ground. Money now rules the game and has created a game that now has two sets of laws. VAR,  goal technology,  officials communicating with each other now have created an elite game. The laws we played now don’t apply and elite clubs now decide what laws they want introduced. 
Laws should apply to everyone who plays the game not just the few.

4 hours ago, Swede said:

Cancel the season? Imagine for a moment yorkshire's most loved team missing out and having to start all over again . . . What a lovely thought.

Can you imagine the lawsuits and legal wrangling if you cancelled the season though?? 

I'd love to be a commercial lawyer with a bit of football experience in that situation...

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Agree with Neville on this:

The only issue would be how can you force players to stay beyond their agreed contract length? Hypothetically if the league didn't restart until November it would be 2 months at least to completion so you're talking about forcing someone to stay 6 months longer than they signed for. 

I'd say teams just have to play with the squad at their disposal, if a player wants to sign an extension to the end of the season they can, but you can't force someone to stay, the incentive would be saying they can't sign to play for another club until the season is completed.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

The only issue would be how can you force players to stay beyond their agreed contract length? Hypothetically if the league didn't restart until November it would be 2 months at least to completion so you're talking about forcing someone to stay 6 months longer than they signed for. 

I'd say teams just have to play with the squad at their disposal, if a player wants to sign an extension to the end of the season they can, but you can't force someone to stay, the incentive would be saying they can't sign to play for another club until the season is completed.

Given a contract requires 2 or more consenting parties, I would presume you couldn't force any player to remain beyond the termination date. That said, the job market outside of signing a 6 month extension might be offering slim pickings, so an impacted player might have a good incentive to sign.

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Given a contract requires 2 or more consenting parties, I would presume you couldn't force any player to remain beyond the termination date. That said, the job market outside of signing a 6 month extension might be offering slim pickings, so an impacted player might have a good incentive to sign.

For anyone staying in the same country it probably wouldn't be an issue to extend, more thinking about players moving abroad etc

I was previously opposed to the season being declared null and void but I don't see any other option now. Nobody really wants to play behind closed doors and why put players, staff, officials and their families at risk. I think we're being overly optimistic that we'll turn the corner in the next few weeks and don't see any chance of attending a match this side of the new year. 

12 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I was previously opposed to the season being declared null and void but I don't see any other option now. Nobody really wants to play behind closed doors and why put players, staff, officials and their families at risk. I think we're being overly optimistic that we'll turn the corner in the next few weeks and don't see any chance of attending a match this side of the new year. 

Hopefully your view is being overly pessimistic but it very easily could turn to reality. I think whatever the timeframe though that they will have to complete this season - even if it is next year as you say. Too many law suits will be forthcoming if it isn’t - unless of course there is something in the small print of the rules regards force majeure but you would have though you would’ve thought that would have come to light by now if it had. 

24 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

As far as I've seen no one is talking about playing before its safe to do so, pretty sure its already been said (can't remember if it was the FA or PL) that the English leagues won't be sticking to the proposed deadline of June 30th. You create more problems than you solve by null and voiding the season, how can another season start when you're likely to get lawsuits from clubs if it is? How do you determine (fairly) who plays in which European competitions if they're held? If it has to become a 19/20/21 season then so be it but the current season should be finished and then the next season adjusted to the fairest way possible.

On 26/03/2020 at 18:37, joe jordans teeth said:

Because the players will have to play the remaining games in a short time and they can’t cope with nonstop games as Klopp has said,unless you are suggesting we play 46 games from the start of the year till May to get it back in sync 

Not non stop games but most of the teams have large enough squads inc under 23s and fringe players to ring the changes and have two games a week to finish this season, whenever that will be. Once that is sorted then and only then should we be looking at 20/21 season.

To me it makes sense to finish this season in Feb-May 2021, never having a 2020/2021 season. Then having a normal closed season in the summer  before the 21/22 season?

The main issue with that is for lower league clubs being without revenue for 12 months, but surely with the money in football, something can be worked out?

Obviously much more important things than football at the moment but this debate passes the time.

3 hours ago, lenred said:

Too many law suits will be forthcoming if it isn’t - unless of course there is something in the small print of the rules regards force majeure but you would have though you would’ve thought that would have come to light by now if it had. 

I can't see things being safe enough to start again until August/September at the earliest. Can't see how anyone can realistically bring a law suit when the world has been in lockdown for half a year.

Watching Sky Sports news earlier and Jeff Sterling was explaining National league clubs player contracts expire end of April (play off clauses) which means in 5 weeks they will only have 5 players for rest ooc. 
There is no way they can keep paying players for budgeted till end of April, and if season carries on till June they will have to resign players if they are allowed. Will then run at loss for all of June, July and could well send clubs bankrupt. 

This may well apply to L2 and L1 sides who run on small budgets as well. Will the season then be a fair outcome it teams are playing youth teams etc. 

29 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

I can't see things being safe enough to start again until August/September at the earliest. Can't see how anyone can realistically bring a law suit when the world has been in lockdown for half a year.

I agree. But they will. Once this ends it won’t take long at all for it all to revert back to money, unfortunately. 

28 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Watching Sky Sports news earlier and Jeff Sterling was explaining National league clubs player contracts expire end of April (play off clauses) which means in 5 weeks they will only have 5 players for rest ooc. 
There is no way they can keep paying players for budgeted till end of April, and if season carries on till June they will have to resign players if they are allowed. Will then run at loss for all of June, July and could well send clubs bankrupt. 

This may well apply to L2 and L1 sides who run on small budgets as well. Will the season then be a fair outcome it teams are playing youth teams etc. 

Presumably, if these players contracts expire, they are not effectively furloughed at that point and no longer qualify for the 80% of salaries...?

18 minutes ago, lenred said:
47 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

I agree. But they will. Once this ends it won’t take long at all for it all to revert back to money, unfortunately. 

True, law suits will be brought. But hopefully no courts will give them the time of day....

21 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

The only lawsuits that may be heard are those regarding winding up orders or bankruptcy. Any lawsuit with regard to positions in the league shouldn't even get a hearing as it is a pure football matter. They have no place taking up time in the civil courts which are already overrun by more deserving cases. Null and voiding the system would mean no promotion or relegation, which while tough on some should maintain the existence of clubs faced with relegation concerns. 

As far as the totally unfair European competitions are concerned there is a simple solution. Liverpool are sent to the Champions League as our only representative as they are effectively champions who wouldn't get caught if the season was played out. The also ran positions otherwise known as the champions of sod all positions, are not finalised so are not taken up. Personally I find it perverse that we have 4 champions league spots by virtue of our superb European performances from the old Div1 days, when we certainly wouldn't qualify from our piss poor performances since the Premier league was formed. 

As far as the utterly stupid Europa league is concerned we send the winners of the FA Cup and League Cup and nobody else. If that's the same team and we only send one then that's tough. 

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The only lawsuits that may be heard are those regarding winding up orders or bankruptcy. Any lawsuit with regard to positions in the league shouldn't even get a hearing as it is a pure football matter. They have no place taking up time in the civil courts which are already overrun by more deserving cases. Null and voiding the system would mean no promotion or relegation, which while tough on some should maintain the existence of clubs faced with relegation concerns. 

As far as the totally unfair European competitions are concerned there is a simple solution. Liverpool are sent to the Champions League as our only representative as they are effectively champions who wouldn't get caught if the season was played out. The also ran positions otherwise known as the champions of sod all positions, are not finalised so are not taken up. Personally I find it perverse that we have 4 champions league spots by virtue of our superb European performances from the old Div1 days, when we certainly wouldn't qualify from our piss poor performances since the Premier league was formed. 

As far as the utterly stupid Europa league is concerned we send the winners of the FA Cup and League Cup and nobody else. If that's the same team and we only send one then that's tough. 

I prefer the old days when it was champions/fa cup winners into each competition.

With the current European competitions, we almost deserve more teams in, for having a more competitive league than most. eg Spain isn't much better than Scotland (2 or 3 way ahead of the rest). 

On 26/03/2020 at 13:15, Badger08 said:

Can't see why they can't just play the games behind closed doors. 

Would this not take away home advantage (though not in our case) of home support at a critical time of the season for games left to play, and give home advantage to teams who have already played those more difficult games at home.

Players have often said home support helps them and they will be at a disadvantage without that support (though not in our case ?)

13 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

I prefer the old days when it was champions/fa cup winners into each competition.

With the current European competitions, we almost deserve more teams in, for having a more competitive league than most. eg Spain isn't much better than Scotland (2 or 3 way ahead of the rest). 

You would think it much more competitive, and in the days of the 1st División it was. But there have only been 6 winners of the Premier league in 26 seasons or 7 in 27 if you now count Liverpool. In the same time frame there have been 5 winners of the Bundesliga and La Liga, 6 winners of Serie A and 10 winners of Ligue 1. Not a lot in it, and if you extended it to the first 3 in each league the European nations would mostly fare better. Up to this season only 12 different sides have finished in the Premier League top 3.

9 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You would think it much more competitive, and in the days of the 1st División it was. But there have only been 6 winners of the Premier league in 26 seasons or 7 in 27 if you now count Liverpool

interesting, thanks.

And no, 6 in 26 it is! :laugh:

• Admin

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin says the current football season could be lost if it cannot be restarted by the end of June.

Most leagues in Europe are suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic, with this summer's Euro 2020 tournament postponed for another year.

Ceferin says seasons could be finished behind closed doors.

"If we don't succeed in restarting, the season will probably be lost," the Slovenian said.

He told Italian newspaper La Repubblica: "There is a plan A, B and C.

"The three options are to start again in mid-May, in June or at the end of June.

"There is also the possibility of starting again at the beginning of the next [season], starting the following one later. We will see the best solution for leagues and clubs."

As it stands there are nine games to be completed by the majority of Premier League clubs, and up to 12 in the Football League.

All football in England is suspended until at least 30 April.Ceferin says that playing remaining games behind closed doors would have to be an option across Europe.

"It's hard for me to imagine all the matches behind closed doors, but we still don't know whether we'll resume, with or without spectators," he said.

"If there was no alternative, it would be better to finish the championships."

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52079717

Unless everyone who is going to be involved in a behind closed doors match has been tested and found clear of the virus how can it be allowed to go ahead. How would everyone travel to the match, in their individual cars to ensure social distancing. The numbers are not that small. 36 players (possibly reduced to 28), 2 head coaches, 2 physios, 1 doctor, 4 officials (possibly reduced to 3), at least 2 stadium staff to organise parking, open and lock stadium etc, at least 2 police or security staff (to turn away any moronic fan who might show up). An absolute minimum of 40 people without any directors, St John's, caterers (players bring their own food and drink), photographers or anyone to stream the games to a live audience. Without widespread testing, why would the government allow it. 

On 28/03/2020 at 10:39, wayne allisons tongues said:

One of the papers summed it up perfectly when they said null and void the season PL clubs will lose £760m.

Non league where money is small is ok to null but higher up the chain different rules apply due to the high stakes. 

Gone are the days where what we played on the park is what we see on tv or at the ground. Money now rules the game and has created a game that now has two sets of laws. VAR,  goal technology,  officials communicating with each other now have created an elite game. The laws we played now don’t apply and elite clubs now decide what laws they want introduced. 
Laws should apply to everyone who plays the game not just the few.

Don’t forget there is also millions ( possibly billions ) of pounds in bets still riding on the final league places.

Add in that the bookmakers now control a huge stake in English football. 

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Don’t forget there is also millions ( possibly billions ) of pounds in bets still riding on the final league places.

Add in that the bookmakers now control a huge stake in English football. 

The bookies won't miss out. If the season is declared null and void you'll probably get your stake money back. 

On 28/03/2020 at 10:37, One Team In Keynsham said:

Agree with Neville on this:

I also agree, I would scrap all cup competitions to allow all games go ahead next season
Also international breaks to be scrapped or shortened.

Broadcasting and tv rights would be affected, Champions League/europa League etc also smaller clubs who Rely on cup revenue would be affected but I fell this way, you may be able to fit in fixtures.

Archived