IGNORED

no football till after July

S25loyal

22 minutes ago, ZiderheadTJ said:

I also agree, I would scrap all cup competitions to allow all games go ahead next season
Also international breaks to be scrapped or shortened.

Broadcasting and tv rights would be affected, Champions League/europa League etc also smaller clubs who Rely on cup revenue would be affected but I fell this way, you may be able to fit in fixtures.

Shortened certainly- scrapped? How do you fit in WC Qualifiers though- global game remember, world doesn't revolve around a few Leagues.

Sometimes attractive, but at the end of the day fairly meaningless friendlies can certainly be binned off in these circs though.

Cancel this season and be done with it, hopefully run a full season next season starting in July/August when we hopefully have the worst of this behind us.

Im hopeful that social restrictions will be lifted long before that, I don't like freedoms being removed in any circumstances for long and if these restrictions carry on into May I worry what the adverse effect will be on the HNS dealing with mental issues.

12 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Guess Harry Kane has booked his hols already then....https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52086428

Weird a player for a club who'd benefit from the season being scrapped supporting it.... if its scrapped and he's still at Spurs next season they'd probably be awareded a champions league place for being in it this season whereas they'd quite likely miss out if the season was seen out

9 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Cancel this season and be done with it, hopefully run a full season next season starting in July/August when we hopefully have the worst of this behind us.

Im hopeful that social restrictions will be lifted long before that, I don't like freedoms being removed in any circumstances for long and if these restrictions carry on into May I worry what the adverse effect will be on the HNS dealing with mental issues.

If I'm a corporate lawyer I'm loving that idea!

On 26/03/2020 at 13:15, Badger08 said:

Can't see why they can't just play the games behind closed doors. 

You couldn't  play and comply with the social distancing advice.

22 sweaty players touch tight - subs/physio/coaches/officials just add to the mix.

You also take medical resources that could be used elsewhere to actually save lives.

Not a fan of Bristol Council but at least they are being realistic IMO current restrictions will be in place until end of May then relaxed gradually.

42 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Shortened certainly- scrapped? How do you fit in WC Qualifiers though- global game remember, world doesn't revolve around a few Leagues.

Sometimes attractive, but at the end of the day fairly meaningless friendlies can certainly be binned off in these circs though.

I would finish the season now and award promotion and relegation to the clubs that occupy those positions. Not sure about the play offs so it may be easier to offer the 3rd place club In the championship & league one and the fourth place club in league two

You could finish the season then make next season shorter. Play each team once with either - clubs all accepting it luck of the draw which half of their games end up being home games or - home and away games are random apart from against the 4 teams closest to you (2 above & 2 below) with those games being played somewhere neutral. 

Nothing is going to be a perfect solution but those options would certainly be better than scraping either season. 

35 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

You couldn't  play and comply with the social distancing advice.

22 sweaty players touch tight - subs/physio/coaches/officials just add to the mix.

You also take medical resources that could be used elsewhere to actually save lives.

Not a fan of Bristol Council but at least they are being realistic IMO current restrictions will be in place until end of May then relaxed gradually.

You'll be able to play games behind closed doors sooner than you will be able to then with fans attending, as for medical resources its no problem as any form of football won't be starting until well past the peak and at a time when the situation has eased which means there will be medical staff available.

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I suppose we should just be thankful that this wasn`t the season when it all clicked and we were six points clear at the top.

That would be so Bristol City!

That would be so Leeds United....

37 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I would finish the season now and award promotion and relegation to the clubs that occupy those positions. Not sure about the play offs so it may be easier to offer the 3rd place club In the championship & league one and the fourth place club in league two

Even more legal mess, any team who had a game in hand would have a field day for being deprived european spots/being relegated/missing out on promotion etc because they hadn't been able to play an equal amount of games

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

Even more legal mess, any team who had a game in hand would have a field day for being deprived european spots/being relegated/missing out on promotion etc because they hadn't been able to play an equal amount of games

You're right and I was being a little biased in my recommendation!

2 hours ago, hodge said:

You'll be able to play games behind closed doors sooner than you will be able to then with fans attending, as for medical resources its no problem as any form of football won't be starting until well past the peak and at a time when the situation has eased which means there will be medical staff available.

Agree but that won't be for a long time yet. Disruption to normal life for 6 months quoted tonight. Not total lock down but still social distancing.

After all this does die down I think the medical services should have a break from non essential work anyway - like football. But that is just my opinion.

Harry Kane summed it up for me. The aim should be to finish the season but a time comes when you have to say enough is enough and move forward.

"It's not a matter of life and death. It's more important than that."

So said Bill Shankly with his tongue stuck firmly in his cheek. It's been one of the most used statements to show how many of us feel about the beautiful game and Bristol City FC.

But at the moment, with thousands about to die, it seems so trivial. When doctors, nurses and other NHS workers are dying along side those whom they are trying to help, worrying about whether the season is over or not, seems so trivial.

Stay in and stay alive, so we can one day return to some normality and go to watch City play football (boringly).

My best wishes to all football and rugby fans and their families.

20 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Harry Kane summed it up for me. The aim should be to finish the season but a time comes when you have to say enough is enough and move forward.

As said before he's speaking from a position of convenience as its been rumoured if the season gets voided the same teams would enter the champions league and Spurs are struggling to make it at the moment. 

Watching the new over the last 24 hours it seems less and less likely were going to see live football for a few weeks yet 

sorry to be a profit of doom but there just seems to be so many far more important things that need addressing before we can rock up at Ashton gate again 

2 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Watching the new over the last 24 hours it seems less and less likely were going to see live football for a few months yet 

sorry to be a profit of doom but there just seems to be so many far more important things that need addressing before we can rock up at Ashton gate again 

Fixed for you

Archived