IGNORED

for those who remember roger malones flash back for the fans

I think it was spread over two seasons in 1987/1988/1989?

I have the names of eight former employees who appeared.

Were there more than eight City employees who appeard on the programme

inter mingled with other lot and I think Swindon

Please don't post the players you are aware who appeared,but does any one know if their were more than eight

2 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

I think it was spread over two seasons in 1987/1988/1989?

I have the names of eight former employees who appeared.

Were there more than eight City employees who appeard on the programme

inter mingled with other lot and I think Swindon

Please don't post the players you are aware who appeared,but does any one know if their were more than eight

I thought roger was a bit of a **** until I meet him in a pub in London early 90s , he was actually a pretty nice bloke and was happy to chat.

14 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Did he buy you a drink and say “it’s there!”

Need to be on a certain age to understand! ?

Because of RM I remember the name of the Mansfield goalie from the 1987 Freight River Final. The line he uttered was something like: 'Hitchcock used to write the plays ... <something about the goalie not writing one today> ... this boys going to tuck it away ..... oh no!' as one of our players missed in the penalty shoot out. I've no idea why I remember this or even bothered to watch it back. Perhaps I was hoping that HTV were going to include a shot of those two girls - it would have been the only highlight of the game!

Knew Roger through his son, who was my best friend at school - at least, until he stole my ‘girlfriend’!

Remember we went to Cardiff with him, when he was commentating. Think he had the safer position on the gantry rather than us on the Grange Town End that day!

My abiding memory of him was when our School, representing Avon Schools, in the National Pepsi Competition took on Devon Schools champions, Torquay GS. We were supposed to play the match at Eastville. However, we had more than our fair share of ‘mental’ 5th formers, containing many notorious Tote Enders!  The previous season’s final they had kicked off against Brislington on the Tote End so we had to play the match in sworn secrecy at the University of Bristol pitches, Stoke Bishop. This was to ensure our ‘mob’ didn’t turn up and put in a repeat the performance.  

Regrettably the match coincided with Torquay playing The Sags, so they brought up around 1,000 supporters...toilet rolls et al.

Now, little olde me having played in front of no more than a man and his dog previously turned to jelly. Unfortunately, playing in goal as I did then, there was no place to hide. Having let a simple back pass through my hands out for a corner, much to the hilarity of the Torquay fans, Roger quickly spotted I was a bag of nerves. He came around from the sidelines where he had the best view of his son, and stood in both half’s behind the goal and shouted encouragement and support to me. It really helped, and for that act I will forever be thankful. We still lost though.

Oddly, I met one of the Torquay GS players decades later. They were told by their master, who done a scouting trip on us, that we were the best school football team he’d ever seen and they didn’t stand a chance. Suspect he went on to manage professionally as they certainly did a job on us!

A little known fact, his son went on to be the anchor sports reporter for BBC South and daughter became a nationally/internationally renowned potter - and was the original female presenter on the Great Pottery Throw Down show. That latter programme worth a watch for the eye-candy alone. Think Roger was producing articles for The Telegraph late into his seventies.

The daughter has actually done a national archive recording of her early life - which is very interesting and accurate reflection of times in the 70’s living in Bristol’s north-west ‘quarter’.  

A dustbin of useless facts me. 

6 hours ago, RedRock said:

A little known fact, his son went on to be the anchor sports reporter for BBC South and daughter became a nationally/internationally renowned potter - and was the original female presenter on the Great Pottery Throw Down show. That latter programme worth a watch for the eye-candy alone. Think Roger was producing articles for The Telegraph late into his seventies.

The daughter has actually done a national archive recording of her early life - which is very interesting and accurate reflection of times in the 70’s living in Bristol’s north-west ‘quarter’.  

A dustbin of useless facts me. 

Did she have well rounded jugs?

37 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

The classic I remember him saying was Tom Jones scoring for Swindon in the 90's. And Rog saying "it's not unusual for him to score from there" I liked him to be fair.

In the mid late 80's it was thought Roger was biased towards city and when Swindon played the Gas at the county ground he was spotted climbing the gantry for HTV West then suddenly both sets of fans started singing "we all agree Roger Malone is a *****er"

Miss  characters like him plus the banter we used to get standing on the terraces 

My favourite memory of him was singing till we were hoarse, over and over again, We All Agree Roger Malone is a ****** :D 

He used to irritate me to bits, but with the benefit of hindsight I now view him as one of the great characters of the era - passionate but eccentric and a million times superior to the standard commentator today. 

On 27/03/2020 at 09:12, East End Old Boy said:

Did he buy you a drink and say “it’s there!”

Need to be on a certain age to understand! ?

He was the only person who used to  say “naught” instead of “nil” - eg Bristol City 15 Bristol Rovers naught 

39 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

He was the only person who used to  say “naught” instead of “nil” - eg Bristol City 15 Bristol Rovers naught 

Now that’s something I didn’t know, will listen out in future!

Although, perhaps, there weren’t many games where one, or the other, team didn’t score? ?

51 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

11 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Now that’s something I didn’t know, will listen out in future!

Although, perhaps, there weren’t many games where one, or the other, team didn’t score? ?

The more I dig back into my memory I think I can recall him saying `City and whoever played out a nought-nought draw on Saturday`

His classic was ‘as cool as a cucumber’ when describing a bit of defending down our left wing. 

If I were to criticise him, I think coming from print media he tended to speak in the printed word - if you know what I mean!

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, he did have the tendency to start summing the game up on 60 minutes! 

Mind you, that characteristic isn’t unique to him - was it the last World Cup when some **** of a commentator was writing the Germans off in a match only for them (predictably) to turn it around in the last 10 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

His classic was ‘as cool as a cucumber’ when describing a bit of defending down our left wing. 

If I were to criticise him, I think coming from print media he tended to speak in the printed word - if you know what I mean!

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, he did have the tendency to start summing the game up on 60 minutes! 

Mind you, that characteristic isn’t unique to him - was it the last World Cup when some **** of a commentator was writing the Germans off in a match only for them (predictably) to turn it around in the last 10 minutes. 

Barnsley away earlier this season on Sky `All City have to do is see out this last five minutes`.

Aaaaaaargh!

13 hours ago, poland_exile said:

I'm struggling to remember Malone's classic soundbytes. I was certain he once said something like, "Junior Bent - and he is you know" but just googled about and found it was actually more along the lines of: "Junior Bent - a likely name"  :D 

Pretty sure it was Rovers stadium announcer who said the first one you mention, and that he got sacked for it?

Archived