IGNORED

for those who remember roger malones flash back for the fans

He said that quote at Trumpton not Eastville didnt he? His other quote that landed him in trouble was after a Christmas match as the players and officials were trundling off the pitch. The man in black had had a bad game if you were Rovers biased. Out of the tannoy came, "The ref is available for pantomime bookings." 

On 27/03/2020 at 12:18, RedRock said:

A little known fact, his son went on to be the anchor sports reporter for BBC South and daughter became a nationally/internationally renowned potter - and was the original female presenter on the Great Pottery Throw Down show. That latter programme worth a watch for the eye-candy alone. Think Roger was producing articles for The Telegraph late into his seventies.

The daughter has actually done a national archive recording of her early life - which is very interesting and accurate reflection of times in the 70’s living in Bristol’s north-west ‘quarter’.  

A dustbin of useless facts me. 

The original presenter was Sara Cox who went right up in my estimation when she presented a C5 show about her Grandad in the World War. Because of this, when my wife started to watch Throw Down I became interested.

However, I wasn't aware Sara came from Bristol. However the original Judge was Kate Malone! 

It's a great show especially as I couldn't model anything let alone in clay. Also, filmed in Middleport, Stoke-on-Trent where we lived for 10 years.  

6 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

He said that quote at Trumpton not Eastville didnt he? His other quote that landed him in trouble was after a Christmas match as the players and officials were trundling off the pitch. The man in black had had a bad game if you were Rovers biased. Out of the tannoy came, "The ref is available for pantomime bookings." 

Keith Valle? He`s been in a shedload of trouble with the law since too I believe. It was Trumpton as you say, I was there and it nearly caused a riot - no-one could believe what he`d said and it nearly kicked off big time.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Keith Valle? He`s been in a shedload of trouble with the law since too I believe. It was Trumpton as you say, I was there and it nearly caused a riot - no-one could believe what he`d said and it nearly kicked off big time.

don't take any sardine tins from him...….

I remember us playing Northampton Town and Todger coming up with the immortal “he opened up the Cobblers defence as if with a shoe-horn”.

Actually my absolute favourite was in the legendary 4-3 away victory at Derby in 1992 when Todge clearly hadn’t been following the ball and suddenly noticing Paul Simpson unmarked in the area, and about to score his hat-trick for Derby, said “Hello, what’s this?”.

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Yep, Keith was reluctantly sacked by Rovers and then quietly re-hired when the fuss died down, if I recall correctly.

Then again, as fellow regulars in the Brunel would have had it (Sammy Mason included), 'you might as well do the white line'. Indeed. 

30 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Yep, Keith was reluctantly sacked by Rovers and then quietly re-hired when the fuss died down, if I recall correctly.

Then again, as fellow regulars in the Brunel would have had it (Sammy Mason included), 'you might as well do the white line'. Indeed. 

I wonder what dear Sam is up to these days. A bit of a colourful life she appeared to be living, though let's face it...  not too uneasy on the eye, in her best days.

Taxi! (no, not you...)

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I wonder what dear Sam is up to these days. A bit of a colourful life she appeared to be living, though let's face it...  not too uneasy on the eye, in her best days.

Taxi! (no, not you...)

Oh she's still knocking around 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bbc-radio-bristol-samantha-bush-3833612?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

9 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

You remember that time she ran on the pitch when the players were lined up for kick off to present Shaun Taylor with an award?

Just been watching the derby game from '75, 1-1 draw.
I know he came across as a nice genuine bloke, but man as a commentator he left a lot to be desired. And, as someone on this thread mentioned, in the local derby game as we attacked and the ball went for a corner, he's said (several times) another corner to Bristol. Did a decent job as a reporter, but commentating was not his forte .

5 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/subs-bench-meets-bristol-broadcasting-3279860.amp

Remember a couple of Malone comments in particular:

Describing a long range Alan Walsh effort as a ‘bending bombshell’

and as Bob Taylor hit the bar against the Gas, ‘Lady Luck can be a fickle friend’!

Was it him with the famous `Pick that one of the net you men from Crewe` as Super Bob banged one in from about thirty yards?

9 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Was it him with the famous `Pick that one of the net you men from Crewe` as Super Bob banged one in from about thirty yards?

Sounds like the 4-1 evening game at AG in April '90 when Super Bob got injured after scoring a hat trick (?) and missed the run in to the end of the season.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Just been watching the derby game from '75, 1-1 draw.
I know he came across as a nice genuine bloke, but man as a commentator he left a lot to be desired. And, as someone on this thread mentioned, in the local derby game as we attacked and the ball went for a corner, he's said (several times) another corner to Bristol. Did a decent job as a reporter, but commentating was not his forte .

We did sing "Buh - riss - toll!" a lot in them days, to be fair to Rodge. 

On 27/03/2020 at 09:01, glen humphries said:

I thought roger was a bit of a **** until I meet him in a pub in London early 90s , he was actually a pretty nice bloke and was happy to 

If the chants were anything to judge how the fans felt about him. He was in fact not at all liked by everyone. Came over as someone who had no real passion for the club, or the game.

City's promotion season of 75-76 coincided with my 'A' Levels, unfortunate in a way because I was far more interested in following City home & away than school work and revising.

One of the perks of being in the 6th form was occasional lectures from local people of note. 

It was announced one week that the lecture was to be given by local TV personality Roger Malone and we could hand in questions to be put to him after he'd finished.

I can't remember much about the talk - it was more about his life and career than City/Rovers but went down well iirc -  but I do remember my question.

"How would you compare the respective qualities of John Atyeo ( who I never saw) John Galley ( my first City CF) and Paul Cheesley ( rapidly improving and playing brilliantly that season, and very much my hero at the time) and do you think Cheesley will emulate Atyeo and ever play for England?"

His insight would have been interesting ( and made this a better story) but unfortunately I'll never know because my question wasn't chosen!!

Also saw RM in Rediffusion, Blackboy Hill once and the way he was talking amiably at length to the counter staff he came over as a good bloke.

I did feel obliged to join in with the, 'we all agree...'  towards him stuck up in the gantry box that time we were all on the pitch celebrating at the end of the season though. :laughcont:

On 27/03/2020 at 19:35, poland_exile said:

He used to irritate me to bits, but with the benefit of hindsight I now view him as one of the great characters of the era - passionate but eccentric and a million times superior to the standard commentator today. 

That sums up my memory of him 100%! bit of a nightmare at the time I thought, but very fond memories looking back on it all.

I remember being involved in a documentary on something non footy related and had to visit the Bristol TV studio and when there I mentioned my thoughts on their colleague Roger M, they all nodded along as I moaned about him and all his "ways".... a few days later I had to go back and they had got me a signed picture of the big man himself.... as a joke.. but they aid he was thrilled to have such a big "fam", I think they did not communicate what I actually said about him thank goodness... 

I think I still have it, in a bag in the attic...

Nice bloke, as he appears to be in real life, how on earth did he ever get a job as a football commentator? Normal there is some sort screen test. Perhaps he did his by letter 

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sounds like the 4-1 evening game at AG in April '90 when Super Bob got injured after scoring a hat trick (?) and missed the run in to the end of the season.

That`s the one. I was in the EE right in line with Bob`s rocket shot and it was a peach!

Funny how trivial things stick in your memory as well - I will always remember that the Crewe keeper that night was Dean Greygoose, God alone knows why!

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That`s the one. I was in the EE right in line with Bob`s rocket shot and it was a peach!

Funny how trivial things stick in your memory as well - I will always remember that the Crewe keeper that night was Dean Greygoose, God alone knows why!

If you go to 39:30 on the above you’ll find the goal in question. Unfortunately with Full Throttle on commentary as opposed to Malone.

And for accuracy, the intonation should be “Pick.........(Ball hits net) that one out of the net you boys from Crewe”

Recommend watching on mute and playing that in your head.

23 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Quick, someone keep Mrs Honeyman right out of sight...

23 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That’s it (although was Full Throttle as confirmed elsewhere).

as well as being an absolute beast from Super Bob, that goal will always hold fond memories for me as I was a 10 year old down the Gate with my dad (who passed away 21 years ago) and he went nuts when it hit the back of the net - I’d never seen him react like that before!!

We’d also have won the league had God not done his hamstring in that game.

4 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

as well as being an absolute beast from Super Bob, that goal will always hold fond memories for me as I was a 10 year old down the Gate with my dad (who passed away 21 years ago) and he went nuts when it hit the back of the net - I’d never seen him react like that before!!

I think we all knew at the time that it would cost us. The reaction from fans when we realised it was serious told you all you need to know - a great night, a fabulous performance and it all ended like that - we knew.

21 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

At the time of his injury Super Bob had scored 27 in 37 League games. 34 in all competitions, including 5 goals in 7 FA Cup games.

Not sure how many games he had missed up til then, or exactly how many to go, but with the form he was in he must have been on course to challenge Don Clark's all time City record of 36 in 46-47.

In fact he may have only been a few away because it's not clear if Clark's total is League goals only or all competitions.

No doubt at all that hamstring injury cost us the title.

Archived