IGNORED

James McClean fined

phantom

One thing not to be overlooked here. 
Does anyone actually think this guy is any good at football? He’s somehow found a career at championship level, yet I don’t rate him as much better than lower L1. 
Highly overrated player, in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

yeah Bs4 red Derry/Londonderry is in Northern Ireland but Derry City play in the league of Ireland not the NIFL. he could go back there. maybe he would like to go to then states and play in the msl and post pictures of himself on instagram dressed as Osama Bin Laden for his jokes!!

Fair play, cheers, didn’t realise Derry City plays in the League of Ireland ...

3 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Not sure what your confused about? 

Northern Ireland isn’t part of Britain, it’s part of the United Kingdom. 

So mcclean for example isn’t British, he’s northern Irish which is part of the UK.

I'm not at all confused.

You wrote that JM is 'northern Irish which is part of Great Britain.'

Hence the reason I inserted two large ?s and stated that Northern Ireland, like Great Britain, is in the United Kingdom. 

In essence, Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, it is a separate country like Wales and Scotland, but both are part of the United Kingdom.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

One thing not to be overlooked here. 
Does anyone actually think this guy is any good at football? He’s somehow found a career at championship level, yet I don’t rate him as much better than lower L1. 
Highly overrated player, in my opinion. 

He played around 160 premier league games for WBA and Sunderland too ...

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm not at all confused.

You wrote that JM is 'northern Irish which is part of Great Britain.'

Hence the reason I inserted two large ?s and stated that Northern Ireland, like Great Britain, is in the United Kingdom. 

In essence, Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, it is a separate country like Wales and Scotland, but both are part of the United Kingdom.

Sorry Phil, I had a typo, I meant Northern Ireland isn’t part of Great Britain but of the United Kingdom

A little bit wrong , Wales and Scotland are part of Great Britain, Northern Ireland is not.  

If your born in England Scotland wales you are British, being born in Northern Ireland your not. Your northern Irish. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I never suggested there weren’t. 
Just that he’s happy to revel in one side of it and I highly doubt his ‘history’ lesson would’ve included these innocent deaths as well as the ones on ‘his’ side. 

I’m not sure what’s become of you lately Mr Pops, you used to be a decent enough poster but you seem very argumentative and agitated of late. 

Fair. 

No side comes out of it in glory IMO, the Ireland issue. I hope he would've given a balanced perspective.

This coronavirus thing has taken a toll tbh and can manifest itself in my posts at times. Shouldn't and I'll work on it..until then in fact may give OTIB a swerve from a posting POV for a bit.

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I didn't say it was one sided. The topic is about James McClean. My point was regarding generosity and stupidity.

At a time when the globe is facing what we could look upon as a existential crisis this individual is giving his children a history lesson wearing a balaclava and sharing this on social media.

It is a crass act.

He's a dick, no doubt.

As the grandson of a Northern Irish protestant I'm honestly not offended by his tweet. Seems it was made in good humour. 

Because of his status as a well-known footballer it was of course ill-advised but I think we've got slightly bigger issues to worry about at the moment. 

No doubt the same people chirping up about this are the same people that voted Brexit which will bring a united Ireland closer to reality, cheers guys ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This coronavirus thing has taken a toll tbh and can manifest itself in my posts at times. Shouldn't and I'll work on it..until then in fact may give OTIB a swerve from a posting POV for a bit.

If you do, then spend of your new-found time on Netflix watching Derry Girls - you will love it.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As the grandson of a Northern Irish protestant I'm honestly not offended by his tweet. Seems it was made in good humour. 

Because of his status as a well-known footballer it was of course ill-advised but I think we've got slightly bigger issues to worry about at the moment. 

No doubt the same people chirping up about this are the same people that voted Brexit which will bring a united Ireland closer to reality, cheers guys ??‍♂️

Amazing. So you are the grandson of a Northern Irish Protestant, and you think his balaclava post was "made in good humour". Really, that's Shocking. 

The fact that we now have this pandemic does not detract in any way, shape or form from what he did. And to use it as a sort of mitigating circumstance is absolutely baffling. 

To further cement your ludicrous post, you say that those that support the feeling of outrage at his actions were simply just Brexit supporters! Unbelievable Jeff. 

34 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Not the first time this ***** has stepped out of line jeering the National Anthem and refusing to wear a poppy on his shirt .

Aside from the fact that he may have reasons, he is a dick.

However, might he have reasons for his views (his actions are those of a dick too, of course).

The second question is, in a free society etc...

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

From what I've read, Derry is what Catholics or maybe Republican minded Catholics call it, but as you say, the official name Londonderry isn't it?

Hey Norn Iron, you live over there now, what do you call it?

Great question. Thanks for asking me!

I live on the North Coast. The vast majority of people from Derry/Londonderry (as the non-offending BBC calls it but a Radio DJ added Stroke City to the moniker and it has become the new nickname) are more than happy to call it Derry. This definitely includes most but not all Protestants. Why? Well for one reason it's easier to say and quicker! 

Here's what I subsequently found on Wikipedia...

The name "Derry" is preferred by nationalists and it is broadly used throughout Northern Ireland's Catholic community,[28] as well as that of the Republic of Ireland, whereas many unionists prefer "Londonderry";[29] however, in everyday conversation "Derry" is used by most Protestant residents of the city.[30] Linguist Kevin McCafferty argues that "It is not, strictly speaking, correct that Northern Ireland Catholics call it Derry, while Protestants use the Londonderry form, although this pattern has become more common locally since the mid-1980s, when the city council changed its name by dropping the prefix". In McCafferty's survey of language use in the city, "only very few interviewees—all Protestants—use the official form".

Without going on a rant, and whilst I appreciate most of the above posts are meant in good faith, they are incorrect.

Yes, Northern Ireland is part of the UK and not Great Britain but come the 12th (July), you go up to an Orangeman and tell him he's not British! Subtle hint....don't. There are lots of them. This country though is geographically part of the British Isles.

It was a revelation to me when I read my son's GCSE History book regarding Norhern Irish politics from 1900 onwards. I thought I knew quite a bit before moving over here but I obviously didn't. I knew very little. For instance, one of the issues was the siting of the new Ulster University in the mid 60s. This caused major anger as Derry/Londonderry lost out to Coleraine which is a lot nearer to Belfast. 

When life returns to normal and weekend breaks are up and running again, you would be hard pushed to find a better City to visit than Derry. You'll get a genuine welcome from all shop owners, pubs and restaurants. The craic in the evening for music is second to none. My son will testify to this as he's a student at their Magee campus (now part of Ulster University)! You'll be able to walk on the City Wall which is the largest and still fully intact one of its kind in Europe. There are organised walking tours available which I have done. They do not shy away from 'The Troubles'. 

Should NTTDS be reading this, which is now an advert for the North Coast of Northern Ireland, the train from Coleraine to Derry is probably the most beautiful journey in the UK.

If you're a golfer, like me, forget Scotland. Northern Ireland has some of the best courses in the World let alone the UK. Apparently fishing is superb as well, whatever that is!

7 hours ago, freezer said:

Amazing. So you are the grandson of a Northern Irish Protestant, and you think his balaclava post was "made in good humour". Really, that's Shocking. 

The fact that we now have this pandemic does not detract in any way, shape or form from what he did. And to use it as a sort of mitigating circumstance is absolutely baffling. 

To further cement your ludicrous post, you say that those that support the feeling of outrage at his actions were simply just Brexit supporters! Unbelievable Jeff. 

Piss off mate, don't tell me my views are shocking. If you are "outraged" by it then you seriously need to get a grip. And if the irony is actually lost on you that a large number of the outraged British "patriot" types that voted Brexit have inadvertently fast-forwarded the unification of Ireland, then you need to wise-up. That's something to be outraged about if you want to see N Ireland remain as part of the UK,  not some shitty tweet from a known wind-up merchant. 

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

From what I've read, Derry is what Catholics or maybe Republican minded Catholics call it, but as you say, the official name Londonderry isn't it?

Officially known as Londonderry, signage around the city tends to show both names.

There is a certain irony about this.

His outrage about the history of NI hasn't prevented him from plying his trade at the source of his outrage.

Personally, if I've ever hated/disliked/etc. something, I've been pretty clear about it AND not done it/eaten it/engaged with it/etc.
Maybe the money swung it for him rather than staying home in NI or going elsewhere?
What does that say about him?

48 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Piss off mate, don't tell me my views are shocking. If you are "outraged" by it then you seriously need to get a grip. And if the irony is actually lost on you that a large number of the outraged British "patriot" types that voted Brexit have inadvertently fast-forwarded the unification of Ireland, then you need to wise-up. That's something to be outraged about if you want to see N Ireland remain as part of the UK,  not some shitty tweet from a known wind-up merchant. 

Likewise, Scottish independence. 

It really should have been called Engxit as it's going to destroy the union. 

Other than the fact the Welsh and Scots usually bring home (pre 2015) labour MP's, I'm all for self determination for all. United Ireland, independent Scotland, Wales and England. 

5 hours ago, J-mat said:

Likewise, Scottish independence. 

It really should have been called Engxit as it's going to destroy the union. 

Other than the fact the Welsh and Scots usually bring home (pre 2015) labour MP's, I'm all for self determination for all. United Ireland, independent Scotland, Wales and England. 

And then the Cornish will start; and who knows, "The Geordie Nation" next, followed by the "Scousers first, English second" ?

Before we know it, there won't be anything left. 

5 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

And then the Cornish will start; and who knows, "The Geordie Nation" next, followed by the "Scousers first, English second" ?

Before we know it, there won't be anything left. 

I doubt we'll see a mass breakup anytime soon. That said, to add to your list there is actually a 'Yorkshire Party'.

Archived