IGNORED

happy days when we were riding high

where's the joy

i thnk we are all saying to great heights (mid way through a season) - in fact high=er than anyone since A.DIcks and his Dad so lets keep to that fantastic praise and recognition of Lj. THe end of a season is much more important than any mid-point becuase it matters; - err like if you get promoted or relegated. When this season ends (if it ever does) we can then answer your question but the facts are the facts and he has taken us forward every season - is that unique amongst all league managers where one needs to see 3 or 4 seasons of improvement.

Havan asks a great question to start the 'we love Lee' comments but we all know how deflated we were after the Frankie moment, the Marlon moment and the Villa 90 moments that followed

18 hours ago, KevP said:

And then........Frankie.........?

More like LJ losing his mind and keeping Flint up front after we scored! 
Probably the worst decision hes ever made. 
Wolves looked knackered and couldnt be arsed. We only had to shut up shop and see it out. 
Certainly set the tone for our nose dive that season!

7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

More like LJ losing his mind and keeping Flint up front after we scored! 
Probably the worst decision hes ever made. 
Wolves looked knackered and couldnt be arsed. We only had to shut up shop and see it out. 
Certainly set the tone for our nose dive that season!

I think you have a point.

Frankie was crazy getting sent off, if the fella scores so be it , would still be 11  v  11 .

The Flint thing was equally crazy.

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Didn`t they go on a real storming run from January and only lost about one more game all season?

Made a good January signing in Mitrovic? , something we've not done when we've been in a strong position to push on and get promotion 

1 hour ago, paul_fox said:

Made a good January signing in Mitrovic? , something we've not done when we've been in a strong position to push on and get promotion 

Signed him on deadline day IIRC.

Their strong run was already underway, 6-7 unbeaten but Mitrovic doubtless sent them up another gear or two. 

Actually 23 unbeaten, brilliant. Beat most top end sides in that run, they really should've kept a lot more of their side last season and made incremental changes IMO. 

As for us, our FFP headroom just wasn't there- certainly not January 2018.

January 2019, maybe could've done a bit more.

January 2008 though...FFP wasn't even considered as a concept then, we could have rolled the dice in a bigger way.

Like say Stoke did with Shawcross and some others. 

7 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Frankie was crazy getting sent off, if the fella scores so be it , would still be 11  v  11 .

Add to that Pack's showboating just outside our penalty area and giving away the freekick that led to their second!

8 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

11 v 10. Wolves had a player sent off. Only adds to the crazy decision keeping Flint up front.

35 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Vile, the ending to that game, I felt sick. The Sunderland game that season was also vomit inducing. Our capitulation in the second half of that season was staggering. Injuries or not.

Don't forget the Hull game. 

Now it was a thrilling game indeed, but to turn it round from 1 down to 3-1 and I think in the 2nd half it was 4-2 to us...Hull had some good players despite being down near the bottom but we should never have needed a last minute equaliser from 3-1 and 4-2 up!

That season we should have made the playoffs IMO. Top 2, unsure but playoffs? Absolutely.

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Signed him on deadline day IIRC.

Their strong run was already underway, 6-7 unbeaten but Mitrovic doubtless sent them up another gear or two. 

Actually 23 unbeaten, brilliant. Beat most top end sides in that run, they really should've kept a lot more of their side last season and made incremental changes IMO. 

As for us, our FFP headroom just wasn't there- certainly not January 2018.

January 2019, maybe could've done a bit more.

January 2008 though...FFP wasn't even considered as a concept then, we could have rolled the dice in a bigger way.

Like say Stoke did with Shawcross and some others. 

The Jan of 2008 in many ways represents the biggest loss of opportunity this club has probably thrown away in the last 30 ofd years for that reason, FFP wasn’t even a thing back then. Of course we would have gone up in 07/08 and no doubt have come back down at some point over the next 11 years but at least we would have had at least had a shot at the big time! Hindsight ay..

2 hours ago, bris red said:

The Jan of 2008 in many ways represents the biggest loss of opportunity this club has probably thrown away in the last 30 ofd years for that reason, FFP wasn’t even a thing back then. Of course we would have gone up in 07/08 and no doubt have come back down at some point over the next 11 years but at least we would have had at least had a shot at the big time! Hindsight ay..

Might have been able to do a Burnley, do a WBA and yoyo, come back stronger in years to come.

On 29/03/2020 at 08:04, Midred said:

Add to that Pack's showboating just outside our penalty area and giving away the freekick that led to their second!

Add to that me punching the air and shout yes as I thought that the free kick was curling out past the far post. Nothing like being the first to celebrate the opposition winner :(

so there we have it 24 views on riding high before wolves 'beasted' us in the last 10 minutes plus ages of extra time.

bossing the midfield hasn't been much good since that turning point.

here's to a better city with an entire squad of fit players and loanees busting to get back and into the first team

here's my team for next season's end of this season, assuming no new players

1 o'leary

2 vyner

3 o'dowda

4 Taylor moore

5 kalas

6 han noah massengo

7 korey smith

8 afobe

9 diedhou

10 palmer

11 eliason

subs nagy, weiman, maenpaa, etc etc 

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

so there we have it 24 views on riding high before wolves 'beasted' us in the last 10 minutes plus ages of extra time.

bossing the midfield hasn't been much good since that turning point.

here's to a better city with an entire squad of fit players and loanees busting to get back and into the first team

here's my team for next season's end of this season, assuming no new players

1 o'leary

2 vyner

3 o'dowda

4 Taylor moore

5 kalas

6 han noah massengo

7 korey smith

8 afobe

9 diedhou

10 palmer

11 eliason

subs nagy, weiman, maenpaa, etc etc 

Is that something like a 3-4-1-2?

The relative youth of the backline would enable us to play higher up the pitch. Interesting blend of CBs...no DaSilva though??

3 hours ago, where's the joy said:

Dasilva as a left sided midfielder or winger/wing back. too easy to bounce off the ball at the back, so on the bench next to johnny smith.

have a hunch O'Dowda would make a very good defender  

I`ve thought that on occasions but he does have tendency to switch off a bit at times. Do that against Hernandez or Knockeart and you`re a goal down.

Archived