IGNORED

Educational/learning websites?

RedM

Seems plenty to occupy children but can anyone recommend any good (preferably) free ones for adults? 

My daughter (a young adult) yesterday has been furloughed until May 31st. She usually works in a busy office and does admin type work. She’s a clever girl ( even if I say so!) and has already done quite a few courses through her training, but happy to redo as a refresher. She really needs to learn and keep her brain active or staying home will be hard. She has plenty of ‘downtime’ stuff but wants to keep in a fairly loose work structure and routine.

She has been working from home and been really busy for the past two weeks but being unexpectedly furloughed when half way through a project is frustrating, and no she isn’t able to carry on with it at the moment due to other necessary people being furloughed alongside her.

She has found a free course for Excel, and even considering learning a language just for the hell of it as she has never been interested in languages before.

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas or experience and if there were any courses people found good out there please?

9 hours ago, RedM said:

Seems plenty to occupy children but can anyone recommend any good (preferably) free ones for adults? 

My daughter (a young adult) yesterday has been furloughed until May 31st. She usually works in a busy office and does admin type work. She’s a clever girl ( even if I say so!) and has already done quite a few courses through her training, but happy to redo as a refresher. She really needs to learn and keep her brain active or staying home will be hard. She has plenty of ‘downtime’ stuff but wants to keep in a fairly loose work structure and routine.

She has been working from home and been really busy for the past two weeks but being unexpectedly furloughed when half way through a project is frustrating, and no she isn’t able to carry on with it at the moment due to other necessary people being furloughed alongside her.

She has found a free course for Excel, and even considering learning a language just for the hell of it as she has never been interested in languages before.

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas or experience and if there were any courses people found good out there please?

I guess the most obvious option M, is the Open University's site Open Edu. 

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses . Over 1000 courses available, including several language courses. As they say in Cantonese "say ha k" (you're welcome) :) 

Found this thread searching for "Open University" as I am pondering doing some further study later in the year.

@RedM did your daughter use their free OpenLearn stuff? If so did she find it a positive experience?

@Port Said Red have you used it before? Again, any feedback or tips?

I am basically thinking to do a couple of the free short courses on OpenLearn as a way of seeing if I enjoy the distance learning style, and if I can fit it into my general lifestyle. If it works, then I might commit the time, energy and money to a more formal OU course.

Any thoughts from anyone would be much appreciated.

54 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Found this thread searching for "Open University" as I am pondering doing some further study later in the year.

@RedM did your daughter use their free OpenLearn stuff? If so did she find it a positive experience?

@Port Said Red have you used it before? Again, any feedback or tips?

I am basically thinking to do a couple of the free short courses on OpenLearn as a way of seeing if I enjoy the distance learning style, and if I can fit it into my general lifestyle. If it works, then I might commit the time, energy and money to a more formal OU course.

Any thoughts from anyone would be much appreciated.

Hi there. I had completely forgotten this thread and my post. The answer is yes, I did a couple of the open courses on subjects related to my field (Training Consultant), one was on NLP and one was on reinforcing learning. To be honest, they were subjects I knew quite a bit about already, but it gave me an insight into how they were constructed and I was impressed. 
I haven't pursued any learning as I have decided to take early retirement instead, but as you have reminded me of this, I may return and do some on subjects that interest me personally, like History and Literature. 

As you say, it's definitely worth pursuing, speaking from many years experience, what you get from it will depend on whether the delivery fits your learning style, but free is free right? :) 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Hi there. I had completely forgotten this thread and my post. The answer is yes, I did a couple of the open courses on subjects related to my field (Training Consultant), one was on NLP and one was on reinforcing learning. To be honest, they were subjects I knew quite a bit about already, but it gave me an insight into how they were constructed and I was impressed. 
I haven't pursued any learning as I have decided to take early retirement instead, but as you have reminded me of this, I may return and do some on subjects that interest me personally, like History and Literature. 

As you say, it's definitely worth pursuing, speaking from many years experience, what you get from it will depend on whether the delivery fits your learning style, but free is free right? :) 

Exactly. I've just got a bit of an itch to get back into learning. It's been 9 years since I did my under graduate degree and then post-grad law stuff and I just want to keep the brain ticking.

Like you I might do a course relevant to my career...or I might indulge an interest or hobby.

Thanks for replying though, good to hear they are useful. I'm not expecting the same depth or quality as a full paid for course, but it's good to know they aren't useless.

And as you say, free is free.

On 28/03/2020 at 06:49, RedM said:

Isn't OTIB good enough for you - it educates(?) Informs(?) and definitely entertains!

Archived