IGNORED

Not missing football

CyderInACan

How many people on here are not actually missing football? I mean, the actual visiting the gate and watching the game. 

I’ve been speaking to a few people and i wouldn’t be surprised if less people go after all this has finished.  When the habit is broken with football a lot of the time it is hard to get back into it. 

I know for a lot football is a social aspect, a chance to get away from it all for a few hours and see your mates etc so I can see people missing that more. 

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I miss the buzz before a game with the build up listeng to 20man.

Once the game starts it's almost always depressing/boring/dull and I'm happy to avoid it.

What an amazing attitude for someone who actually doesn't watch any of the games

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

Haven't missed it one bit to be honest

Which is concerning as if I hadn't renewed my season ticket already I certainly wouldn't be bothering now

Hope to god it doesn't happen but there is always the chance we could be in the same position again next year, it's a brave man that renews a season ticket, I'm not that confident at the moment a game by game basis although dearer is probably a wise strategy.

58 minutes ago, Down Town said:

What an amazing attitude for someone who actually doesn't watch any of the games

Pretty sure he makes the trip over a couple of times a season, so no doubt the money Tommy spends following City adds up.

He's got every right to say it's all too often been boring and depressing, whether you're watching live or listening to the radio.

I'm getting very worried now - I've been watching city for 1/2 a centuary on and off (much more on than off) but was starting to get really fed up with the entertainment value this year so went to a couple of rugby games as well.

Now I find I'm missing the entertainment provided by a positive winning rugby team a bit more than the football - if/when this season starts again I think it's going to need a real effort from lee and the boys to get me back to feeling the 'good times' again.

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

What an amazing comment from someone who actually don't watch the games live on Robins TV with replays seeing what is happening

Hilarious. 

You've just confirmed that you base the majority of your negative posts on here from watching games on TV and listening to the radio. 

That is a priceless comment 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Pretty sure he makes the trip over a couple of times a season, so no doubt the money Tommy spends following City adds up.

He's got every right to say it's all too often been boring and depressing, whether you're watching live or listening to the radio.

Of course he has the right to an opinion, but he reminds me of the chap that used to constantly call Radio Bristol complaining about City then confessed to never going to a game but just listened to games on the radio. 

So the person who complains constantly on this forum watches one or two games a season

As for money spent. Don't get me started on that!

15 minutes ago, Down Town said:

Hilarious. 

You've just confirmed that you base the majority of your negative posts on here from watching games on TV and listening to the radio. 

Of course he has the right to an opinion, but he reminds me of the chap that used to constantly call Radio Bristol complaining about City then confessed to never going to a game but just listened to games on the radio. 

So the person who complains constantly on this forum watches one or two games a seasonI watch

I watch (more or less) every game live. With replays. I never listen to the radio.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Will people now realise that football isn’t all that important? Will managers doing badly stop getting dogs abuse?  

I suspect it will be back to normal before too long 

Off topic but is it just me who gets their nut done in when an apparently new poster name appears with 10k likes? There used to be a function to see previous names but that appears to have gone. Please put me out of my misery! Many thanks ?

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

Off topic but is it just me who gets their nut done in when an apparently new poster name appears with 10k likes? There used to be a function to see previous names but that appears to have gone. Please put me out of my misery! Many thanks ?

I’ll give you a clue.... two words, first word colour City play in, second word, shortened version of mans name, also a TV channel.

On 28/03/2020 at 08:32, CyderInACan said:

Is it just me? The world has become such a vastly different place so quickly and staying safe & looking after your friends and family has become so important that I honestly haven’t had time to miss football at all. I couldn’t tell you who we were supposed to be playing today either as the iPhone calendar has gone and the OS has removed them too. 

Have I gone mad or is football just not as important as we used to think it was?

Almost three weeks on from this opening post and I am really surprised how much I'm not missing my weekly diet of City and Bristol Rugby.

Apart from the stress of being in a state of limbo waiting for next home purchase to complete, life is walking the dog for four miles a day, knocking out meals with what I've managed to acquire rather than what I've been able to buy. Endless hours on cryptic crosswords, Soduko, and Jigsaw puzzles. And doing my best to stay virus free and alive!

Maybe it is time to call it a day at the Gate? ST refund?

Stay strong everyone until the danger is gone.

4 hours ago, daored said:

Exactly amazing why @bristolcitysweden doesn’t find himself a new team - clearly Bristol City FC gives him no enjoyment based his comments 

Bristol City ( over the last 2-3 years) brings me no enjoyment either, but they will always be my club.

I’m hoping I will one day fall back in love with it, but for now I’m far more excited watching the thrills and spills of non league football. City Sweden is being honest in his assessment of the stuff he has endured over the 2-3 years, it’s dross. 

48 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Bristol City ( over the last 2-3 years) brings me no enjoyment either, but they will always be my club.

I’m hoping I will one day fall back in love with it, but for now I’m far more excited watching the thrills and spills of non league football. City Sweden is being honest in his assessment of the stuff he has endured over the 2-3 years, it’s dross. 

Run in with some spirited displays to avoid the drop (2017/18) with a reasonable number of goals too.

Then of course the first half in particular of 2017/18 and then periodically in the 2nd half (think chunks of home game v Hull, first half v Sunderland home and Leeds away- less said about the second the better), 4-0 v Sheffield Wednesday.

Granted we didn't get into the top 6 when we likely should've, but that was a pretty good season overall IMO. Quite a few goals, good possession, chance creation at home in particular.

Each to their own of course, but latter couple of months 2016/17 and decent chunks, especially before Christmas, of 2017/18 were hardly so bad.

I was starting to get quite fed up towards the end of the run as many others were, however, I still miss it. Probably not helped that I am still working and wake up feeling a bit lost on a Saturday.

Why do I miss it? 

- Waking up on a Saturday and using my "match day mug"

- Making or going out for breakfast that will get me through the day

- Rushing home from that place I used to go to called the office, and eating dinner with a can of Thatchers with Sky Sports News on, before heading out for a game under the lights

- Meeting up for a couple of pints with others before the game and trying to find standing room somewhere my pint won't get knocked so I end up with cider all over one hand and foot.

- Rushing for a pint and then having a vape at my usual spot at half time, then rushing for a quick piss, before heading back

- Cold hand dryers 

- Singing 

- Calling the ref a *******  ****

- Singing on the way out of the ground after a win 

- Hearing singing into the night after a win

- And don't even get me started on away days, which has it's own list.

My weekly walk to the Gate has turned out to be every few days, then every day and I love making it a part of my daily exercise routine. Will I miss that when life returns to normal when it has become so normal? Possibly... but give me football at the Gate any day...

(Except on a ******* Sunday!)

2 hours ago, Down Town said:

Hilarious. 

So the person who complains constantly on this forum watches one or two games a season

I've gathered from Tommy's posts over the years he's been actively supporting City for over 40 years and comes over a couple of times a season with his large group of Swedish City fan friends and they arrange these visits so they can take in a couple of games (home and away) each time.

As for money spent, he is also known to be extremely generous - and I mean extremely - with online donations to S82 and other City related requests for cash support that turn up on here.

He may come over as negative a fair bit but 40 years following City can have that affect on the best of fans. The important thing afaic. is his heart is clearly in the right place when it comes to supporting this club and associated fan groups/charities, and this altruistic generosity along with the cost of travel and accommodation for his trips to England to support City in the flesh will mean his annual outlay following City will be far in excess of the cost of a ST.

So to me he's an unusual character of the forum, but most importantly a character who is a genuine long term Bristol City FC fanatic, and he's more than earned the right to have his say on OTIB.

I agreed with his post but if you don't agree with his views, or you simply find his forum persona irritating, the easy solution is to put him on ignore.

Archived