IGNORED

Fastest ever City goal?

Olé

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I was up there for that one. I think it was a header as well? Anyway, 25 years on and I still don't expect any city fan that was there believes what they saw.

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

As to opponents, anyone quicker than (I think) Mellon for Blackpool, opening day 1995/6? 12 seconds or something like that.

(Yes I am bored)

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry to delve back into the dim mists of the past, but I'm pretty sure that John Galley scored one in less than 10 seconds from kick off (though it might have been the start of the second half) at Ashton Gate in the late 60s.  Can't remember much more than that except that I think Chris Garland was playing.  Anyone back me up?

Swindle at home (3-3)

• SC&T Board Members
3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry to delve back into the dim mists of the past, but I'm pretty sure that John Galley scored one in less than 10 seconds from kick off (though it might have been the start of the second half) at Ashton Gate in the late 60s.  Can't remember much more than that except that I think Chris Garland was playing.  Anyone back me up?

Yep, at the start of the second half, I think. 6 seconds if memory serves me correctly.

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I thought it was a 1-1 as well.

You are both correct, for some reason, I thought we had a 2-2 with them. February 1928 has been the only time this fixture has ended 2-2 at AG.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He did but I think it might have been a Saturday. I was with my former brother-in-law who supports them and he`d only just sat down!

Yes was a Saturday early kick off. A lot of the Millwall fans had been inadvertently “delayed” and were going nuts outside the ground.

Rob, great thread as are any that force us to look back over recent history

Teo things i had forgotten about the 'Bent Double'  game was 1) he scored with his head and 2) that the away fans were in Dolman 'A' block. Amazing how we forget such events; but then 50 odd games a season gives us all a lot of things to remember - and forget!!

Keep them coming

The one and only John Atyeo holds the record for fastest ever City goal;

"Atyeo also created Bristol City history on 16 March 1957 scoring after only nine seconds of the match v Bury which City went on to win 2–0 with Atyeo scoring both goals. This still remains as the fastest ever goal scored in a match by a Bristol City player."

12 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

The one and only John Atyeo holds the record for fastest ever City goal;

"Atyeo also created Bristol City history on 16 March 1957 scoring after only nine seconds of the match v Bury which City went on to win 2–0 with Atyeo scoring both goals. This still remains as the fastest ever goal scored in a match by a Bristol City player."

I've just had a look at one of the books written by David Woods. "Reporters at the game timed the goal as six seconds, but the Referee insisted it was nine seconds".

Jim Fryatt of Oldham holds the league record at six seconds. The quickest ever recorded was Derek Dougan of Wolves. The ball was knocked forward at kick off and he lobbed the keeper. Just two seconds, but as this was in a friendly, it doesn't count.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

I've just had a look at one of the books written by David Woods. "Reporters at the game timed the goal as six seconds, but the Referee insisted it was nine seconds".

Jim Fryatt of Oldham holds the league record at six seconds. The quickest ever recorded was Derek Dougan of Wolves. The ball was knocked forward at kick off and he lobbed the keeper. Just two seconds, but as this was in a friendly, it doesn't count.

I once saw a player in the Northern Premier League who scored in a couple of seconds - same as Dougan only the ball rifled into the net in a gale force wind. Couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 seconds. But that was kick off for the second half.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Ah Jim Fryatt, can remember him playing up front for Torquay  alongside Robin Stubbs.

4 hours ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

The Peterborough game (in the video) was the last game of the season.

This was the game I was thinking of for some reason, which confirmed Brentford’s relegation...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/bristol-city-v-brentford-08-may-1993-175099/

Can’t find who were the goal scorers from that day though.

16 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

This was the game I was thinking of for some reason, which confirmed Brentford’s relegation...

https://www.11v11.com/matches/bristol-city-v-brentford-08-may-1993-175099/

Can’t find who were the goal scorers from that day though.

Yes, by a quirk of fate we won the last game for two consecutive seasons 4-1 against relegated sides at Ashton Gate. 

This one was a Leroy Rosenior hat trick and Wayne Allison. From memory all close range with Tinnion and Mark Gavin pulling the strings and a couple of youngsters playing. Was a few days after or before the Chris Garland testimonial against Man Utd where we scored another three too.

On 28/03/2020 at 14:06, cider hoss rules said:

I don't remember that keeper at all, commentary says he was understudy to Keith Welch.

His one game for which I think he got MOTM. We seemed to always play the sub keeper for the last home game for a while 

On 28/03/2020 at 12:11, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I should remember this. You may well be correct.

I also have a dim and distant memory of John Atyeo getting a goal at home in around 9 seconds - 1950's.The old brain working now and it might have been against Bury.

On 28/03/2020 at 15:47, Olé said:

The impressive thing about that game/performance was Grimsby rocked up something like 16? Games unbeaten and closing in on us in second.  We absolutely destroyed them that day and after that there was no doubt we were going up. The only mystery is how we threw away the title, well selling Goater probably one reason.. 

On 28/03/2020 at 12:55, One Team In Keynsham said:

As to opponents, anyone quicker than (I think) Mellon for Blackpool, opening day 1995/6? 12 seconds or something like that.

That was James Quinn

On 28/03/2020 at 13:02, formerly known as ivan said:

I could have sworn Robinson also scored 2 vs Brentford in the last game of a season?

It was a Leroy Rosenior hat trick

2 hours ago, TomF said:

The impressive thing about that game/performance was Grimsby rocked up something like 16? Games unbeaten and closing in on us in second.  We absolutely destroyed them that day and after that there was no doubt we were going up. The only mystery is how we threw away the title, well selling Goater probably one reason.. 

I remember the press reports afterwards which said something like `The Grimsby players had spent the morning shopping in Bath and some looked as if they were still there`.

On 28/03/2020 at 11:15, BS15_RED said:

Didn’t we score very early in both half’s against Grimsby in the 1997-98 promotion season?

I thought about that one - the Goat scored as quickly as he could run from the centre spot to their box - must have been seconds. I was there and enjoyed that game very much - I think we ended up winning 4-1.

Archived