IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

The Italians cancelled all games in Lombardy and Veneto regions today including Inter vs Sampdoria to try and contain an outbreak of Coronavirus.

Unfortunately, it looks like the efforts to contain this virus globally have failed and it is only a matter of time until we get a major outbreak here. I suspect we could also see games being cancelled to try and contain any outbreak here. 

This could be a big issue for the football authorities (as well as the NHS of course and the Government). If the season isn’t cancelled, I could see games being held behind closed doors.

It's possible. I guess it depends on how bad it gets here and what action the authorities need to take to try to isolate it. 

Personally I think it would be the right thing to do if there is a belief it will make a difference.

Other sporting events in that part of the world have already been cancelled and although it hasn't stopped the spread could it have prevented it from being worse.

Almost certainly unfortunately. I’m sure they’ll have some sort of protocol ready already on how to pick it back up. We’ll see

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Absolutely not. Ridiculous suggestion. Barely a case in this country and China getting to grips with it from what I’ve heard. 

Began to spread through Europe

12 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Almost certainly unfortunately. I’m sure they’ll have some sort of protocol ready already on how to pick it back up. We’ll see

Began to spread through Europe

Are you saying you think its almost certain the season will be cancelled? Cannot see it.  This virus is hardly at plague levels!

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Are you saying you think its almost certain the season will be cancelled? Cannot see it.  This virus is hardly at plague levels!

Almost certain it will spread here, and judging by other countries reactions yes season may well be cancelled, more likely postponed 

Unfortunately, I fear that the genie is out of the bottle and mass cancellations, lockdowns and quarantines are inevitable.  Certainly a case of when rather than if in my view.  It will take too long to develop a vaccine, so the best thing we can hope for for now is that quarantines and anti-virals restrict and alleviate the problem.

Expecting the worst but hoping for the best.

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Absolutely not. Ridiculous suggestion. Barely a case in this country and China getting to grips with it from what I’ve heard. 

Not sure I agree it’s a ‘ridiculous suggestion’ - South Korea’s cases increased eight-fold in the last four days, Iran has gone from zero cases three days ago to 28 cases and five deaths, Italy is now the European hotspot reporting 50 cases and two deaths in just two days with no evidence of victims having links to China ... etc, etc.

I agree there is no need to panic, influenza infects millions worldwide each year and kills thousands, including in the UK, and no one ever seems too concerned about that, but this new virus is certainly not just a problem for China anymore, so to say “China is  getting to grips with it from what you’ve heard” isn’t really relevant.

And do you believe everything that comes out of China?! Funny how that hard-hitting journo who was exposing the truth about this virus and its progress over there suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth ... and the doctor who discovered it and announced it over there last September was suddenly arrested and made to sign a statement saying he’d made it all up ... he then mysteriously died of the disease...I love a good conspiracy theory me! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not sure I agree it’s a ‘ridiculous suggestion’ - South Korea’s cases increased eight-fold in the last four days, Iran has gone from zero cases three days ago to 28 cases and five deaths, Italy is now the European hotspot reporting 50 cases and two deaths in just two days with no evidence of victims having links to China ... etc, etc.

I agree there is no need to panic, influenza infects millions worldwide each year and kills thousands, including in the UK, and no one ever seems too concerned about that, but this new virus is certainly not just a problem for China anymore, so to say “China is  getting to grips with it from what you’ve heard” isn’t really relevant.

And do you believe everything that comes out of China?! Funny how that hard-hitting journo who was exposing the truth about this virus and its progress over there suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth ... and the doctor who discovered it and announced it over there last September was suddenly arrested and made to sign a statement saying he’d made it all up ... he then mysteriously died of the disease...I love a good conspiracy theory me! 

My work depends on what happens in China in terms of factories. They are opening up again. Actions speak louder than words for me.  

This virus is less deadly than flu it seems so far. The season is nearly over. Just can’t see it being cancelled.  All seems a bit of an overreaction so far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RedDave said:

My work depends on what happens in China in terms of factories. They are opening up again. Actions speak louder than words for me.  

This virus is less deadly than flu it seems so far. The season is nearly over. Just can’t see it being cancelled.  All seems a bit of an overreaction so far. 

Fair play - China may be coping better now but other countries are becoming increasingly affected. I agree that it’s nothing to unduly panic about at this stage - and I’m sure the authorities here haven’t considered cancelling the football season yet - but I wouldn’t rule out some sort of reaction in terms of event-cancelling if the situation gets any worse over here

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Not convinced China have a grip on it, keep changing how they report it and appear to be not counting people who haven’t gone to hospital.

Plenty in China saying people died from it but kept away from authorities so wouldn’t count towards figures.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Not ridiculous at all. Relentless travel and the difficulty in diagnosing prior to symptoms means our best hope is a vaccine prior to mass spread. 

I imagine later this season or early next there may be a ban on all mass gatherings. 

Up to 50 million died from Spanish Flu last century and that was before mass travel. 

Measures like cancelling events would be a minimum action should it get a grip here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Then whole thing is a pathetic overreaction to a necessary part of nature.

Death rate for under 50's is 0.5%. The rate for healthy people is 0.9%. So the rate for those both healthy and under 50 is 0.45%. Can a global population of nearly 8billion survive that kind death rate? Of course it can. It needs it if anything. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Admin

No

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Death rate for under 50's is 0.5%. The rate for healthy people is 0.9%. So the rate for those both healthy and under 50 is 0.45%. Can a global population of nearly 8billion survive that kind death rate? Of course it can. It needs it if anything. 

Exactly this 

Usual overreaction 

We're we not supposed to all be killed by SARS and bird flu? 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

What an idiotic statement. 

If you care for anyone who is vulnerable, you wouldn't see them as acceptable collateral in a Darwinian storyline. 

If my son were to contract it, it would be a huge risk to his life and the same many other people I know. 

If the benchmark for addressing a problem is whether humanity will survive it, then why are we wasting money and effort on looking after the elderly? Maybe we should just get rid and spend the money on something else. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeah, we should make no attempt to stop the spread of a highly contagious infection at all, let it overwhelm our health services and just accept that 1 in every 200 healthy young people who get it will die.

• Like 1