IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Not ridiculous at all. Relentless travel and the difficulty in diagnosing prior to symptoms means our best hope is a vaccine prior to mass spread. 

I imagine later this season or early next there may be a ban on all mass gatherings. 

Up to 50 million died from Spanish Flu last century and that was before mass travel. 

Measures like cancelling events would be a minimum action should it get a grip here. 

This virus doesn’t compare to Spanish flu surely?

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

What an idiotic statement. 

If you care for anyone who is vulnerable, you wouldn't see them as acceptable collateral in a Darwinian storyline. 

If my son were to contract it, it would be a huge risk to his life and the same many other people I know. 

If the benchmark for addressing a problem is whether humanity will survive it, then why are we wasting money and effort on looking after the elderly? Maybe we should just get rid and spend the money on something else. 

Honestly. I have no idea why we waste all that money mate.

Pretty clear we aren't going to agree on this. Essentially you're final paragraph sums it all up.

On topic: of course we shouldn't cancel the league.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Then whole thing is a pathetic overreaction to a necessary part of nature.

Death rate for under 50's is 0.5%. The rate for healthy people is 0.9%. So the rate for those both healthy and under 50 is 0.45%. Can a global population of nearly 8billion survive that kind death rate? Of course it can. It needs it if anything

Alright Thanos calm down :fear:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

This virus doesn’t compare to Spanish flu surely?

Mortality rate is about the same, there are far fewer cases though so likely it's harder to transmit and care is far better now than 100 years ago.

It may yet be that this becomes a pandemic but so far it's looking hopeful as recoveries are happening much faster than new cases at the moment.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RedDave said:

Absolutely not. Ridiculous suggestion. Barely a case in this country and

**China getting to grips with it from what I’ve heard. 

China getting a grip?  really? 

Dont hold your breath …. It took them about 300years to get rid of the Ming Dysentery!  ?

Edited by WhistleHappy

3 hours ago, phantom said:

No

Exactly this 

Usual overreaction 

We're we not supposed to all be killed by SARS and bird flu? 

I think people are very complacent because SARS and bird flu didn’t affect us.

The difference between this and SARS is it is much more infectious and has a long incubation period. This means clusters can suddenly break out almost from nowhere like has happened in Korea and Italy. 10 towns in Italy have been put on lock down today.

The good news is it is not very deadly and many people only get mild symptoms but it could still kill 10s of thousands in the UK and put huge pressure on the NHS

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RedDave said:

My work depends on what happens in China in terms of factories. They are opening up again. Actions speak louder than words for me.  

This virus is less deadly than flu it seems so far. The season is nearly over. Just can’t see it being cancelled.  All seems a bit of an overreaction so far. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yeah, we should make no attempt to stop the spread of a highly contagious infection at all, let it overwhelm our health services and just accept that 1 in every 200 healthy young people who get it will die.

The general mortality rate in the UK is 4.4 in 1000, or to put it another way a little under 1 in 200 people always die.  Coronavirus has had virtually zero impact on the normal mortality rate in China - there are literally dozens of illnesses that kill way more people every day, including as has been mentioned before, ordinary flu.

The whole thing has been blown massively out of proportion and the suggestion that sporting events should be cancelled is ridiculous. If that were true we should cancel everything forever, because of all the other illnesses out there that people might catch. 

• Like 2

There's a middle ground between panic and complacency.

We have no herd immunity so the fact it's about as deadly as flu* isn't the only consideration. The risk is that many more people will get it than get the flu (20-25% of diamond princess passengers in less than a month), so even with low fatality rates that's serious.

We know it's spreading in multiple countries and the authorities can't find the source cases. It's likely that it's also spreading in other locations that haven't yet been identified.

That doesn't mean we should give up on containment. We need to keep working to slow down the spread to give heath services as much time as possible to prepare. That doesn't mean canceling football matches yet, but it might do soon.

*I think that's wrong. Just checked a source which says seasons flu mortality is lower

Edited by Yellow&Blue&Red
Made a mistake, added an asterisk

On 23/02/2020 at 10:24, RedDave said:

Absolutely not. Ridiculous suggestion. Barely a case in this country and China getting to grips with it from what I’ve heard. 

Still ‘ridiculous’? 322 infected persons in Italy now and 10 deaths - the Ireland vs Italy ‘Six Nations’ rugby match may be cancelled - Japan has cancelled all football matches until mid-March and in Italy five Serie A matches will be played behind closed doors... it goes on ...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Still ‘ridiculous’? 322 infected persons in Italy now and 10 deaths - the Ireland vs Italy ‘Six Nations’ rugby match may be cancelled - Japan has cancelled all football matches until mid-March and in Italy five Serie A matches will be played behind closed doors... it goes on ...

At the moment I’d still say it was. China factories open at 15% capacity at the moment which is better than last week. Last week I had one vessel confirmed for March out of 25. Got three now.  In daily conversations with China. Seems to be slowly getting better there. 

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

At the moment I’d still say it was. China factories open at 15% capacity at the moment which is better than last week. Last week I had one vessel confirmed for March out of 25. Got three now.  In daily conversations with China. Seems to be slowly getting better there. 

May be getting better in China, but closer to home it ain’t ...

• Like 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

That’s not what I am hearing, maybe it depends on the area you are dealing with, no doubt the Chinese authorities will be fronting it as all OK and improving, but I very much doubt that that is true, the truth won’t be exactly forthcoming from China.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

May be getting better in China, but closer to home it ain’t ...

Well that was always going to be the case. If it is getting better already in China then it’s not the virus people are talking about it being. If that’s correct then the football season won’t be cancelled. Which is why I said it was ridiculous. Guess time will tell.  As I’ve said before, I’m talking to people in the thick of it regularly. Another call 6:30am tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

That’s not what I am hearing, maybe it depends on the area you are dealing with, no doubt the Chinese authorities will be fronting it as all OK and improving, but I very much doubt that that is true, the truth won’t be exactly forthcoming from China.  

I am sure there are different bits of advice etc but all I can do is take the people I trust and have worked with for over 10 years at face value 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Well that was always going to be the case. If it is getting better already in China then it’s not the virus people are talking about it being. If that’s correct then the football season won’t be cancelled. Which is why I said it was ridiculous. Guess time will tell.  As I’ve said before, I’m talking to people in the thick of it regularly. Another call 6:30am tomorrow. 

But sporting events are being cancelled in increasing number outside of China ... so it isn’t ‘ridiculous’ to expect this to expand 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But sporting events are being cancelled in increasing number outside of China ... so it isn’t ‘ridiculous’ to expect this to expand 

Yes they are. One off matches. Not a whole season. Unless I’ve missed something.  You can keep quoting the word ridiculous if you want but, as I’ve said, time will tell. Wait and see.  

If it gets so bad that a whole Football season affected we will have much more important things to worry about than a few words on a forum. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Yes they are. One off matches. Not a whole season. Unless I’ve missed something.  You can keep quoting the word ridiculous if you want but, as I’ve said, time will tell. Wait and see.  

If it gets so bad that a whole Football season affected we will have much more important things to worry about than a few words on a forum. 

Japan has cancelled all matches until mid March - not one offs - anyway, given your posted pic of the Huddersfield stadium earlier why are you on here? Just get home safe RD ....

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Japan has cancelled all matches until mid March - not one offs - anyway, given your posted pic of the Huddersfield stadium earlier why are you on here? Just get home safe RD ....

Cheers. Got back to hotel as staying local to ground. Fingers crossed I am correct about virus. Not for ego but if it gets really back I might be unemployed soon!!