IGNORED

The "they were massive... and quite rightly so" thread

AppyDAZE

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

This was actually a really good band before all the 80s stuff. No, they were actually and it is a fact.

The Knife (1970)  Mike Rutherford way before the mechanics and all that shit

What a bassist. And so OTIBers

I nominate Genesis

Agree totally, before the Abacab shite!

17 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

How the **** did I forget these?

Total class...

R . E . M .

Proud to say that I bought the debut the year it was released, and ended up buying their entire works.

What a legacy this lot left.

I used to have a pen pal in the US: she sent me a tape of Reckoning before I had ever heard of them. Loved them ever since. Only got to see them once, in Atlanta. Brilliant band.

As an aside, I know the barrister who got Peter Buck off his air rage case.

6 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I used to have a pen pal in the US: she sent me a tape of Reckoning before I had ever heard of them. Loved them ever since. Only got to see them once, in Atlanta. Brilliant band.

As an aside, I know the barrister who got Peter Buck off his air rage case.

Great stuff. Thanks for the memories there. They were amazing, and I still have fond memories of those early records (a real favourite of mine being Reconstruction of the fables)

Gonna start playing their stuff again soon

16 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Randomly...  some great albums by people had some success, or quite a lot of success in some cases

Cool for cats album - squeeze

the hurting - tears for fears

you cant hide your love forever - orange juice

14 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

actually the first 5 or 6 squeeze albums

Difford and Tilbrook is a songwriting partnership that should be revered: they have written some fantastic songs. I have the first 3 or 4 Squeeze albums on vinyl, but never got to see them live until last year, when their greatest hits tour coincided with a work trip over to Dublin. They were fantastic and their back catalogue is a thing of beauty. 

32 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Difford and Tilbrook is a songwriting partnership that should be revered: they have written some fantastic songs. I have the first 3 or 4 Squeeze albums on vinyl, but never got to see them live until last year, when their greatest hits tour coincided with a work trip over to Dublin. They were fantastic and their back catalogue is a thing of beauty. 

I saw them once in about 1980. They were good but the thing about it that I still remember today is they were quiet.

You could almost talk to each other when they were on. Weird. Kept thinking turn it up FFS. and this was an electric set.

53 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Back in the day you were either ‘ ABBA ‘ or ‘ Bucks Fizz ‘ ...

I wasn’t either Major but I recognise that Benny and Bjorn are songwriters extraordinaire. Their music will survive them as will the songs of Lennon and McCartney, Jagger and Richards. 

Btw, who wrote the Buck Fizz songs?     :dunno:

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

When they were at their height is was really uncool but their songs were very very good!  Especially this one and Fernando

Tbh I thought I was too cool for ABBA when they were at their peak ( although the women were great to look at ), but as I got older and opened up my head to other music I began to realise how great  the musical arrangements and genuine craft were in ABBA'S  songs

More random quality albums...

pretty much every XTC album

Shakespeare Alabama - Diesel Park West (brilliant)

Turn Back - Toto (guitarist phenomenal) hated by many, not me

Home - Procol Harum

Grand Hotel - Procol Harum

Psychomodo - Cockney Rebel

Kimono My House - Sparks

I know, i'll shut up and leave you all alone now

Archived