IGNORED

The "they were massive... and quite rightly so" thread

AppyDAZE

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

More random quality albums...

pretty much every XTC album

Shakespeare Alabama - Diesel Park West (brilliant)

Turn Back - Toto (guitarist phenomenal) hated by many, not me

Home - Procol Harum

Grand Hotel - Procol Harum

Psychomodo - Cockney Rebel

Kimono My House - Sparks

I know, i'll shut up and leave you all alone now

Forgot about XTC. You've got my running back to my collection again.

Home - Procol Harum

Kimono My House - Sparks

Virgins & Philistines - The Colourfield

Home - Procol Harum

Kimono My House - Sparks

I don’t recognise the last one , was it Cliff Richard ? 

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Difford and Tilbrook is a songwriting partnership that should be revered: they have written some fantastic songs. I have the first 3 or 4 Squeeze albums on vinyl, but never got to see them live until last year, when their greatest hits tour coincided with a work trip over to Dublin. They were fantastic and their back catalogue is a thing of beauty. 

There`s a really good Sky Arts(?) documentary out there which explores their friendship and collaboration. If you`re a fan, it`s well worth seeking out.

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Sparks, now there was a band. They`ve still got it now and are just as good live as they ever were.

I challenge anyone to say the words `this town aint big enough for the both of us` without doing it in time with the song.

They are really a ‘ cult ‘ band . They never achieved the recognition they deserve. 

For what it's worth, No Thugs In Our House has one of the best lyrics ever written by anyone, IMO.

Andy Partridge was / is a really, really smart intelligent songwriter and he had a way with words that is truly astounding.

Respectable Street is another incredible satirical piece of class.

Long Live XTC!

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

For what it's worth, No Thugs In Our House has one of the best lyrics ever written by anyone, IMO.

Andy Partridge was / is a really, really smart intelligent songwriter and he had a way with words that is truly astounding.

Long Live XTC!

Brilliant lyrics, banned version that is.

19 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

There`s a really good Sky Arts(?) documentary out there which explores their friendship and collaboration. If you`re a fan, it`s well worth seeking out.

Not sure if just one of those stories going around, but have heard for ages that they don't actually get on/like each other.

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Long Live XTC!

I still can`t hear `Dear God` without the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I still remember seeing them on TOTP doing `This Is Pop` and thinking WTF is this, it`s mint!

I`ve said it before, seek out the Sky Arts documentary on the band, it`s one of the best I`ve ever seen and Andy Partridge is such an interesting man.

Long Live XTC!

Where's Nigel ?

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I still can`t hear `Dear God` without the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I still remember seeing them on TOTP doing `This Is Pop` and thinking WTF is this, it`s mint!

I`ve said it before, seek out the Sky Arts documentary on the band, it`s one of the best I`ve ever seen and Andy Partridge is such an interesting man.

Loved "This is Pop" ooh ooh ooh ooh ooooh

34 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Where's Nigel ?

Loved "This is Pop" ooh ooh ooh ooh ooooh

I had the first three albums already, but it was 1980 and Black Sea coming out when I knew i was a massive fan. Saw them in 81 (?) at The Studio or whatever it was called, I think (the one next to the Ice rink) and they were OK, but always better on record. And Andy was probably starting to have a lot of problems by now.

45 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I had the first three albums already, but it was 1980 and Black Sea coming out when I knew i was a massive fan. Saw them in 81 (?) at The Studio or whatever it was called, I think (the one next to the Ice rink) and they were OK, but always better on record. And Andy was probably starting to have a lot of problems by now.

Locarno ?

Strange how some bands are better on record than live or vice versa. 

Cheap Trick are just amazing live but a bit ho hum on record.

INXS are another and my liver still shivers at the memory of a night on the batter with them in Adelaide very early in their career.

18 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Cheap Trick are amazing live but ho home on record. INXS are another.

Very true. The one act that sounded equally amazing in the studio AND live has to be Zeppelin. The album released fairly recently, by that i mean well after they were finished, was How The West Was Won (recorded live 72 ish I think)

Phenomenal live recording. The guitar playing is almost unreal on this, and I'm not exaggerating .

It is a long performance too. They were really clever, clever guys

Listening now and my memory has served me well. Fantastic recording.

23 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Locarno ?

Cheap Trick are just amazing live but a bit ho hum on record.

INXS are another and my liver still shivers at the memory of a night on the batter with them in Adelaide very early in their career.

The records sometimes can`t quite capture the energy of the live performance. The Pet Shop Boys are a good example, the records are `nice` enough but live - wow!

Also Carter USM. I loved the records but seeing them live just blew me away - so much raw energy and power it was frightening.

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The records sometimes can`t quite capture the energy of the live performance. The Pet Shop Boys are a good example, the records are `nice` enough but live - wow!

Also Carter USM. I loved the records but seeing them live just blew me away - so much raw energy and power it was frightening.

I lived in Australia for a good few years and most bands come through a thriving pub scene and hone their live performances this way. INXS, AC/DC and Midnight Oil are good examples. Saw AC/DC & INXS in the Largs Hotel in Adelaide back in the day before they became huge.

On 29/03/2020 at 15:37, BigTone said:

Seen them twice. First time they supported Mott the Hoople. Second time was in Adelaide when Night at the Opera was doing the rounds. Have to say I was very disappointed.

I interviewed them (well, three of them) for a student magazine once.  Very smart cookies...

Archived