IGNORED

The "they were massive... and quite rightly so" thread

AppyDAZE

On 29/03/2020 at 15:37, BigTone said:

Seen them twice. First time they supported Mott the Hoople. Second time was in Adelaide when Night at the Opera was doing the rounds. Have to say I was very disappointed.

Dont tell me the Mott the Hoople gig was at Colston Hall?

If so that night was one heck of a **** up for my mate and me, when the 'bunch of students' band warm up support was on we buggered off to the bar for a couple of pints while waiting for Mott …  Argghhh  few months later the ' unknown Queen  students'  turned into supergroup and the rest was history... Mott were great though.

7 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Dont tell me the Mott the Hoople gig was at Colston Hall?

If so that night was one heck of a **** up for my mate and me, when the 'bunch of students' band warm up support was on we buggered off to the bar for a couple of pints while waiting for Mott …  Argghhh  few months later the ' unknown Queen  students'  turned into supergroup and the rest was history... Mott were great though.

That was the one. Second time was at the Apollo Stadium in Adelaide when Bo Rap was doing the rounds. Again was very disappointed with them.

4 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

The "Dan"

R.I.P. Walter ?

Saw them in concert (minus Walter of course) and they were brilliant. The title track of this album is my second favourite song of all time. Did you know they were not keen on the cover of this album, but were over ruled by the record company. I bought this album via one of the mail order providers (Britannia?), (1 album per month type contract). :) 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Saw them in concert (minus Walter of course) and they were brilliant. The title track of this album is my second favourite song of all time. Did you know they were not keen on the cover of this album, but were over ruled by the record company. I bought this album via one of the mail order providers (Britannia?), (1 album per month type contract). :) 

Was that at the O2 ? (October 2017). Had to be there, thinking this might be the last time they tour the U.K., just weeks after Walter's death.

God Bless Walter.

Hope Donald and the rest of the band keep going.

22 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Was that at the O2 ? (October 2017). Had to be there, thinking this might be the last time they tour the U.K., just weeks after Walter's death.

God Bless Walter.

Hope Donald and the rest of the band keep going.

No it was the NEC in Birmingham last February last year, Steve Winwood was their support  and joined them for a couple of tracks.

Here are a couple of bands that could go in either thread when talking about size or missing out. I think it’s down to regions and how you determine their success, but

Arcade Fire

and

Flaming Lips

Both had a lot of success, but perhaps a bit too quirky to be massive.

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Here are a couple of bands that could go in either thread when talking about size or missing out. I think it’s down to regions and how you determine their success, but

Arcade Fire

and

Flaming Lips

I`ve never quite `got` Flaming Lips. RadMac play them a lot (great friends of the show and always good for an interview) but I`ve not really been taken with them TBH.

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Massive in their field and rightly deserving of their success:

System Of A Down

Loud, crazy, fast, different (at the time) and chop suey

I love them , a great endorsement. 5 great albums to their name.

I think you would also like Eighties Matchbox B Line Disaster, their debut album Horse of the Dog was just raw power. Especially Psychosis Safari

Another band who massive for a period and crossed lots of genres were Talking Heads. There are lots of songs I think people will know of course, and they were one of the great innovative bands when it came to videos. The stuff David Byrne has done on his own is good too. 
If I was going to recommend one album it would probably be Remain in Light, incredible songs with stunning production.

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Arcade Fire

and

Flaming Lips

Have seen Arcade Fire twice: both were excellent gigs. Strong back catalogue too. Good shout.

On 30/03/2020 at 21:05, Lanterne Rouge said:

The records sometimes can`t quite capture the energy of the live performance. The Pet Shop Boys are a good example, the records are `nice` enough but live - wow!

Also Carter USM. I loved the records but seeing them live just blew me away - so much raw energy and power it was frightening.

Saw Carter three times back in their day, Plymouth, Exeter and Glastonbury, from where I still have one of the hundreds of foam balls with their logo on (still faintly visible) they threw into the crowd. 

14 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

Saw Carter three times back in their day, Plymouth, Exeter and Glastonbury, from where I still have one of the hundreds of foam balls with their logo on (still faintly visible) they threw into the crowd. 

Jim Bob played an acoustic set at Shiiine last November: did 30 Something in its entirety, and then a few others thrown in: he was excellent. Very good showman. 

Massive for a reason, folks. It's called music.

:laugh: And yet still some people insist that they were "dreadful" ..  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Look. if musicianship, and all that technical stuff goes way over your head then fine by me... but they were in no way dire or shit. Rant over. New Queen vid coming tomorrow, corona virus permitting

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I remember going to see Dire Straits in about 1978 and thinking they were pretty average and that I couldn`t see them making it that big!

Never did see them in the early days, or the later days either. The thing that sticks in my mind is seeing them on the tv programme Revolver.

Revolver, now that was a fantastic programme. i've seen some of it back on Youtube and it takes me right back to being 16, 17.

Some amazing stuff was on that show.

Archived