IGNORED

Grealish shows his usual class

Lrrr

On 12/07/2020 at 15:54, cidercity said:

How did VAR take so long to see that Grealish had actually stamped on the Palace player, cheating get.

Palace had a good goal disallowed by VAR as well, clearly came off his shoulder not handball.

VAR and the people using it are useless get rid.

With the Palace goal had they disallowed it for a foul on Reina I would have said "a bit soft but understandable" but to disallow it for handball?!!

Anyone can see there was no CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR by the referee, certainly on the handball, so the referee should be backed and it has to be given as a goal. Just do what they do in Cricket and have "Referee's Call" in situations where a decision could be given either way, even after you've looked at it 143 times.

20 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Since the season re-started, the number of VAR decisions that have been so obviously wrong is now embarrassing.

You can excuse  the referees decision made in real time in most cases, but when the VAR officials have the benefit of slow motion replays but still get it so wrong the it is inexcusable.

Even in “real time”, you could see that many of these VAR decIsions were wrong. You didn’t need to be a experienced referee or multiple slow motion replays.

The penalty given by Jon Moss against Villa and reviewed by VAR and still given was actually the worst of them. Dangerous play by Fernandes but as he plays for “Man United“ give him a penalty anyway.

The sad thing about this is, the ref originally gave a penalty. It was only overturned by var. Grealish has been diving and getting away with it for too long.  The commentators real out the stats saying he's won the most fouls. Is that just another way of saying he's the biggest cheat/ con artist ?

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

Even in “real time”, you could see that many of these VAR decIsions were wrong. You didn’t need to be a experienced referee or multiple slow motion replays.

The penalty given by Jon Moss against Villa and reviewed by VAR and still given was actually the worst of them. Dangerous play by Fernandes but as he plays for “Man United“ give him a penalty anyway.

This is what annoys me. Some clubs get decisions go their way with the post match explanation being "there was no clear and obvious error from the referee" and then in the next game the VAR Hut overturns a decision where there was also "no clear and obvious error by the referee". How difficult can it be, when knowing the rules of the game inside out is your paid profession, to ask yourself ONE very straightforward question (that's what it is at the end of the day) and then apply it consistently to slow motion replays that give you the benefit of limitless replays and numerous angles?

59 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Everything I hate about modern football/footballers who seem to have these invisible buttons that if touched cause instant paralysis of their legs and arms (caveat: some players also have the unfortunate issue of their arms uncontrollably flying up in the air as if pushed off a cliff). 

Football Authorities across the globe need to do more to fund medical research and protect players from this horrific vulnerability!!!

If I was a ref an saw this, it would be an instant red card it. 

And people get offended when footballers are called snowflakes.

12 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Not likely to happen but would love to see him rot in the championship with Villa when they get relegated.

Only way he plays this division next season is Villa setting a ridiculous price for him and no one willing to pay it

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

59 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

This is what annoys me. Some clubs get decisions go their way with the post match explanation being "there was no clear and obvious error from the referee" and then in the next game the VAR Hut overturns a decision where there was also "no clear and obvious error by the referee". How difficult can it be, when knowing the rules of the game inside out is your paid profession, to ask yourself ONE very straightforward question (that's what it is at the end of the day) and then apply it consistently to slow motion replays that give you the benefit of limitless replays and numerous angles?

16 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Everything I hate about modern football/footballers who seem to have these invisible buttons that if touched cause instant paralysis of their legs and arms (caveat: some players also have the unfortunate issue of their arms uncontrollably flying up in the air as if pushed off a cliff). 

Football Authorities across the globe need to do more to fund medical research and protect players from this horrific vulnerability!!!

If I was a ref an saw this, it would be an instant red card it. 

And people get offended when footballers are called snowflakes.

I mentioned in another thread that it was interesting what Jermaine Jenas had to say on MOTD at the week-end.

Following 3 VAR penalty decisions that where the "authorities" subsequently agreed that VAR had got all 3 wrong, he suggested they should have ex pro footballers on the VAR panel. His argument being that footballers know how the body reacts under different types of challenges and would be better judges of the difference between a proper foul and a dive. 

Ive long felt this was an issue with referees as well, as even though I never played at top level even I have been able to tell when referees have been conned, but how many referees have played the game at any sort of decent level?

The only downside with players making VAR decisions is when they apply the " there was contact - he was entitled to go down" argument!

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

I mentioned in another thread that it was interesting what Jermaine Jenas had to say on MOTD at the week-end.

Following 3 VAR penalty decisions that where the "authorities" subsequently agreed that VAR had got all 3 wrong, he suggested they should have ex pro footballers on the VAR panel. His argument being that footballers know how the body reacts under different types of challenges and would be better judges of the difference between a proper foul and a dive. 

Ive long felt this was an issue with referees as well, as even though I never played at top level even I have been able to tell when referees have been conned, but how many referees have played the game at any sort of decent level?

The only downside with players making VAR decisions is when they apply the " there was contact - he was entitled to go down" argument!

Can imagine a few ex players on the panel losing friends if they started this. Would be good though. I bet there would be quite a few diving bookings as a result.

8 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Not likely to happen but would love to see him rot in the championship with Villa when they get relegated.

If he stayed in The Championship (Sadly he won't because he's too good) he would he'd probably drag us out of it again.

I don't believe we would rot, anymore than your club.

• Admin
28 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

If he stayed in The Championship (Sadly he won't because he's too good) he would he'd probably drag us out of it again.

You need to take your blinkers off.

I appreciate you will have watched him play a lot more than me and many others but his performances and impact on the game seems to drop more and more every week. 

At Christmas it honestly looked like he could be on the verge of a move to a top Premier side. I honestly can't see that happening anymore. 

It was muted that he was knocking on the door for an England cap too. Again I believe he's played himself out of that. 

One big problem for Villa is they have a squad full of very average and very expensive players. Financially Villa won't be able to keep the same squad in the championship but equally who is going to take any of the squad off your hands? 

To me John McGinn is the real saleable asset you have but again where would he realistically go?

Both players if they moved on I can't see them going to any of the teams pushing for European football. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see Grealish stay with Villa next season if they were relegated. 

The first season Villa were down, you took a long time to get going and the early results were what stopped you get automatic promotion when you were on fire in the second part of the season, this time the turn around is much much shorter and I honestly think this will work against the relegated teams. 

One thing PLEASE keep Tyrone Mings, he'll be even more entertaining in the Championship 

10 hours ago, phantom said:

You need to take your blinkers off.

I appreciate you will have watched him play a lot more than me and many others but his performances and impact on the game seems to drop more and more every week. 

At Christmas it honestly looked like he could be on the verge of a move to a top Premier side. I honestly can't see that happening anymore. 

It was muted that he was knocking on the door for an England cap too. Again I believe he's played himself out of that. 

One big problem for Villa is they have a squad full of very average and very expensive players. Financially Villa won't be able to keep the same squad in the championship but equally who is going to take any of the squad off your hands? 

To me John McGinn is the real saleable asset you have but again where would he realistically go?

Both players if they moved on I can't see them going to any of the teams pushing for European football. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see Grealish stay with Villa next season if they were relegated. 

The first season Villa were down, you took a long time to get going and the early results were what stopped you get automatic promotion when you were on fire in the second part of the season, this time the turn around is much much shorter and I honestly think this will work against the relegated teams. 

One thing PLEASE keep Tyrone Mings, he'll be even more entertaining in the Championship 

Since the restart the entire team has been below par, or badly off the pace. With the exception of Erzi Konsa and Douglas Luiz. To a man. John McGinn badly lacks match fitness. Reina did OK in the last match, but the most of the squad has dropped in performance.

Grealish's head seems to be in the North West already. For me I can take him or leave him. If he stays we have the best player in the division, if he goes we get £50m to boost the coffers.
You say expensive and average but they aren't paid as much as Brighton or Burnley's players and the new intake all have resale value.(Except Tom Heaton) If (and it's a big if) we can hold on to 80 per cent of the squad that is the basis of a team that can operate at a competitive Championship standard.

You say I need to take my blinkers off, but I am choosing to see a few positives in the situation.  No harm in hoping we can recover and fightback. I don't accept that we would 'rot' in the Championship.

5 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

Also, without Tyrone Mings we would NEVER have got promoted in the first instance.

Had my super mega fast broadband installed by a mate Of Grealish’s dad. 

Apparently he’s just bought a house in Manchester. 

• Admin
On 15/07/2020 at 07:19, Fordy62 said:

Had my super mega fast broadband installed by a mate Of Grealish’s dad. 

Apparently he’s just bought a house in Manchester. 

Interesting as am sure everyone United and City players don't live in Manchester 

On 14/07/2020 at 19:50, AnAstonVillafan said:

Would he stay and play another season in the championship? Not if he aspires to play for England ahead of champions league performers.

A very good player who could become great...

Reading the thread title reminded me of one of David Coleman's famous Colemanballs bits of commentary.

"and there goes Juantarena down the back straight, opening his legs and showing his class".

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just signed a five year contract extension at Villa

Lack of ambition?

Great to extend at his boyhood club?

I'm not honestly sure he would have got a top 6 move in the Premier League, so maybe his best option

Not at the rumoured £80m they wanted for him & that was before he got his England call-up so Villa were unlikely to be willing to negotiate down.

Sorry, I just don’t rate him, him being more worried about how he looks & his constant throwing himself to the floor, far outweighs anything that he does that is good as a footballer in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just signed a five year contract extension at Villa

Lack of ambition?

Great to extend at his boyhood club?

I'm not honestly sure he would have got a top 6 move in the Premier League, so maybe his best option

As said by Danny Mills on SSN, quite likely a new contract to be offered triggered by a 1st cap

12 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Not at the rumoured £80m they wanted for him & that was before he got his England call-up so Villa were unlikely to be willing to negotiate down.

Sorry, I just don’t rate him, him being more worried about how he looks & his constant throwing himself to the floor, far outweighs anything that he does that is good as a footballer in my opinion.

He’s a good player i think - contracts mean nothing it just means he gets a pay rise and villa will get more money for him when they go down 

42 minutes ago, Rob k said:

He’s a good player i think - contracts mean nothing it just means he gets a pay rise and villa will get more money for him when they go down 

It maybe that he’s agreed to sign a new contract with an agreed release fee clause in there, that way Grealish & Villa both kind of know where they stand then unless one of the parties decides to cause problems.

Archived