IGNORED

Bands who ‘ sold out ‘ to the money

Major Isewater

Queen , post Bohemian Rhapsody ,  went all shite and commercial when they could have been rock gods and pushed the boundaries.

Genesis , made some unbelievable complex and touching music then turned into a pop band , mostly thanks to Phil Collins and the missing influence of Peter Gabriel. 

Def Leppard , British rockers in the forefront of the new wave of heavy metal. Went to the States and became girls . 

Marc Bolan. Famously fell out with John Peel because of his pursuit of stardom over art. 

A band that was mentioned on another thread Sweet, went the other way. After their period of singing pop songs written for them by Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman, they went on to write and produce some really good stuff of their own. Desolation Boulevard was an album that started that crossover and remains one of the best I have in my collection.

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Marc Bolan. Famously fell out with John Peel because of his pursuit of stardom over art. 

A band that was mentioned on another thread Sweet, went the other way. After their period of singing pop songs written for them by Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman, they went on to write and produce some really good stuff of their own. Desolation Boulevard was an album that started that crossover and remains one of the best I have in my collection.

Level Headed is another good album that sounds different to what you expect. Of course there was the big hit Love Is Like Oxygen (brilliant song) from that very same album.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Rod Stewart. He hasn`t made a decent record since about 1978. The rot set in with `Do You Think I`m Sexy` and he`s been shite ever since despite raking it in.

Set in after The Faces I think

A left field choice here would be Snow Patrol.

Their two albums on Jeepster "Songs For Polar Bears" and "When It's Over We Still Have To Clean Up" were quirky, indie-fied with interesting songs about non-obvious subject matter.

Turn of the century, they signed to Polydor and started churning out power ballads about lurve. 

As Mr Blue says, I tuned out.

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

A left field choice here would be Snow Patrol.

Their two albums on Jeepster "Songs For Polar Bears" and "When It's Over We Still Have To Clean Up" were quirky, indie-fied with interesting songs about non-obvious subject matter.

Turn of the century, they signed to Polydor and started churning out power ballads about lurve. 

As Mr Blue says, I tuned out.

Similar front, Kings of Leon.

Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak great albums, particularly the latter. Dirty, raw, lyrics practically unintelligible. But fantastic. Saw them at Swindon Oasis around this time, fantastic.

And then.

Haircuts. Sex on Fire. Quasi Bon-F’n-Jovi.

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Similar front, Kings of Leon.

Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak great albums, particularly the latter. Dirty, raw, lyrics practically unintelligible. But fantastic. Saw them at Swindon Oasis around this time, fantastic.

And then.

Haircuts. Sex on Fire. Quasi Bon-F’n-Jovi.

The 3rd album is good too , altho a bit more polished than the first two excellent ones.

It was that 4th album with sex on fire and use somebody on it were it all went downhill. 

Such a shame 

7 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Are you kidding.  Queen ?????

No , sold out . 
They went pop after Night at the Opera .

They even admitted that they wrote songs with easy hook lines that people would sing . 

They were a fantastic , imaginative rock band who took the easy route to making money .

They were a good pop band but , in my opinion, could have been so much more and I was disappointed with a large part of their material after ‘ Opera ‘. 

‘ A day at the races ‘ was just a rehash and contained the songs not good enough for ‘ Opera ‘ . 

‘ News of the World ‘ ‘ Jazz ‘ !!!

I still love them but as I say they disappointed me . Look at artists like Bowie who developed music , experimented , pushed it on to new levels. Queen are so talented who knows what we would be listening to today if they had retained artistic credibility.

10 hours ago, internetjef said:

The 3rd album is good too , altho a bit more polished than the first two excellent ones.

It was that 4th album with sex on fire and use somebody on it were it all went downhill. 

Such a shame 

Knocked Up is actually my favourite track of all time. What a way to start an album. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

No , sold out . 
They went pop after Night at the Opera .

They even admitted that they wrote songs with easy hook lines that people would sing . 

They were a fantastic , imaginative rock band who took the easy route to making money .

They were a good pop band but , in my opinion, could have been so much more and I was disappointed with a large part of their material after ‘ Opera ‘. 

‘ A day at the races ‘ was just a rehash and contained the songs not good enough for ‘ Opera ‘ . 

‘ News of the World ‘ ‘ Jazz ‘ !!!

I still love them but as I say they disappointed me . Look at artists like Bowie who developed music , experimented , pushed it on to new levels. Queen are so talented who knows what we would be listening to today if they had retained artistic credibility.

Totally with you on this @Major Isewater So talented, but after about News of the world, I have little interest. BUT I still consider myself a huge Queen fan for the earlier stuff. it is brilliant.

27 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

The Clash

Sang about white riots.

Preached left wing politics.

Revolution.

Thatcher came to power.

Strikes and riots and the Clash?

They were so bored with the USA they took their career opportunities there for the cash.

But they never seemed happy with that, they played on a Rolling Stones undercard in the Caribbean somewhere almost like they were being groomed to take that position, but Joe in particular really wasn't interested. I think thats why he and Mick went their separate ways. He was always taking the piss out him and that apparent ambition to become a "proper" musician, even on Complete Control "you're my geeeetar heeerro". There was that weird period when Joe continued the Clash with the guy Nick Sheppard from The Cortinas the Bristol band, a real attempt to get back to basics, busking around the country.

Joe Strummer's stuff with the Mescelaros is much less commercial than the Big Audio Dynamite offering from Mick Jones.

19 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

I've use that USA line twice .. Poor.

I was disappointed with the Clash.

The Miners were on strike.

Other "political" bands did a lot more.

A lot more.

Red Wedge?

The Clash?

Bronski Beat were more real reds.

Strummer really meant it (man). You sign to CBS, what are you gonna do? Put out a triple album for the price of a single and lose a fortune on it, that's what. Joe lived his life that way always, I don't believe he ever cared for the cash.

52 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Strummer really meant it (man). You sign to CBS, what are you gonna do? Put out a triple album for the price of a single and lose a fortune on it, that's what. Joe lived his life that way always, I don't believe he ever cared for the cash.

I always remember going to pick up a copy of London Calling and thinking I had got away with something, because I was sure they had priced it wrong in the shop. It was a double album cheaper than most single albums by other bands.

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Look no further than Genesis ! Post Gabriel they were a shite pop combo !  I make an exception with Trick Of The Tail which was basically a continuation of P G Genesis sans Peter .

Hackett was an important figure in Genesis too. And he was gradually getting phased out of their sound. I can go as far as Wind and Wuthering, then I'm out.

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, I should have mentioned Hackett alongside PG, brilliant guitarist, he still keeps the proper Geneses sound alive .

Apparently there is a Genesis tribute band (Over the Garden Wall maybe?) that are so good that Peter Gabriel took his kids to see them so "they can see what their dad was up to in the early 70's" :) 

Archived