IGNORED

Bands who ‘ sold out ‘ to the money

Major Isewater

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Apparently there is a Genesis tribute band (Over the Garden Wall maybe?) that are so good that Peter Gabriel took his kids to see them so "they can see what their dad was up to in the early 70's" :) 

The Musical Box, I think they're called. I've seen them on Youtube.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, so good that Genesis  lent them a load of props, I know PC has sat in with them on stage once or twice .

Gets a lot of stick, some of it deserved, but nothing is black and white in this world and credit where it is due. I think i've seen that where he is sitting in. Lovely to see that.

It is easy to forget too, that at one time Phil Collins was a phenomenal drummer in a very, very good, innovative rock band.

On 30/03/2020 at 15:47, Silvio Dante said:

Similar front, Kings of Leon.

Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak great albums, particularly the latter. Dirty, raw, lyrics practically unintelligible. But fantastic. Saw them at Swindon Oasis around this time, fantastic.

And then.

Haircuts. Sex on Fire. Quasi Bon-F’n-Jovi.

I was at that Swindon gig. Every time I listen to Milk I am right back there.  They admit they chased the money nowadays.  First two albums equally incredible. Can just about stomach half of the third album and then wow...dogshit 

On 30/03/2020 at 15:47, Silvio Dante said:

Similar front, Kings of Leon.

Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak great albums, particularly the latter. Dirty, raw, lyrics practically unintelligible. But fantastic. Saw them at Swindon Oasis around this time, fantastic.

And then.

Haircuts. Sex on Fire. Quasi Bon-F’n-Jovi.

Perfect example Silv, and I mourn it all the time.

Courteeners. The first album came when raw laddish indie was having a revival, then they became well produced and radio 1 friendly. 

But hey, John Lydon did a butter advert and Iggy Pop wound up selling insurance or summat, so don't hold out for artistic integrity from your heroes.

On the same subject as the Pistols, if only because the story involves Malcom McLaren, Adam and the Ants are a classic example of a band who were struggling commercially and making average although sometimes interesting music (Dirk Wears White Sox anyone?), then suddenly took off.  Adam asked MM to become their manager, which he agreed to do, then promptly sacked 3 of the band and pointed them in the direction of Annabella Lwin's Bow Wow Wow (who McLaren also happened to manage!).

Adam and the Ants, with the use of Burundi drums, then created a distinctive and very popular sound, and basically stormed the charts in late 1980 through the whole of 1981, only losing momentum when Adam (Stuart Goddard) branched out on his own, although he was still successful for a year or 2 as a solo artist.   I think people forget just how huge the whole Adam Ant/Antmusic phenomenon was at the time. I remember, when they were in their pomp, songs from their back catalogue like Young Parisians and Car Trouble hit the charts, something that happens to very few artists, David Bowie's Life on Mars being an example that comes to mind. 

I know he had some mental health issues a few years ago, but he was touring quite recently, I am sure he played the Colston Hall about 5 years ago. I also remember him doing a solo spot at Live Aid in 1985, and thinking after his lacklustre performance how quickly his stock had lowered in the space of 2 or 3 years.  Good artist when he was on the top of his game though.

And Bow Wow Wow were pretty good!

15 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

That was Bowie , life on Mars .

Thought Jagger was the first to promote Mars Bars, in a duet with Marianne Faithful. :shocking:

On 02/04/2020 at 21:11, Kingswood Robin said:

The Wurzels?

Absolutely.

Though "selling out" isn't really the case there.  They were a very popular local band whose leader, singer, and songwriter died young in a car crash.

They had the choice of folding or carrying on without a songwriter and have continued to do so and long may they continue because I like them.

A fact I only found out recently was that whilst I knew that "I've got a brand new combine harvester" was a take off of an existing hit "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates" it wasn't their take off.

It was previously a minor hit in Ireland for an Irish comedian who played the jungle music loving priest in Father Ted. 

24 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Absolutely.

Though "selling out" isn't really the case there.  They were a very popular local band whose leader, singer, and songwriter died young in a car crash.

They had the choice of folding or carrying on without a songwriter and have continued to do so and long may they continue because I like them.

A fact I only found out recently was that whilst I knew that "I've got a brand new combine harvester" was a take off of an existing hit "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates" it wasn't their take off.

It was previously a minor hit in Ireland for an Irish comedian who played the jungle music loving priest in Father Ted. 

Someone say Father Ted . Tell Go On GIF

Heard one on 6 music just now, Generation X / Billy Idol. That is if they were really keen on being the band that had tracks like King Rocker in their locker in the first place.

I always thought they were style over substance and then Idol went off to become an American rocker to prove it.

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Heard one on 6 music just now, Generation X / Billy Idol. That is if they were really keen on being the band that had tracks like King Rocker in their locker in the first place.

I always thought they were style over substance and then Idol went off to become an American rocker to prove it.

And Tony James formed Sigue Sigue Sputnik!

As an aside, I still have a tape by SSS which was sent out to everyone who had a ticket for their gig at the Colston (?) which was cancelled at the last minute.

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And Tony James formed Sigue Sigue Sputnik!

As an aside, I still have a tape by SSS which was sent out to everyone who had a ticket for their gig at the Colston (?) which was cancelled at the last minute.

:laugh: I remember being told at the time that I HAD to get into these, as they were going to be the future of rock or something ridiculous.

I never did, and it appears that I wasn't alone.

Bomb, Sigue bomb ya fake *******

43 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Ler's be grateful that it wasn't for Marathons, Topics or (heaven forbid)...Nutty Bars.

What about fudge?

As the Tv add used to say, " a finger of fudge is just enough to give a girl a treat"! :shocking: 

15 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

:laugh: I remember being told at the time that I HAD to get into these, as they were going to be the future of rock or something ridiculous.

SSS were massively hyped for a while in the mid 80s weren't they? I think the hype came mainly from Tony James himself, who seemed to be under the impression they were cool and sexy when in fact, strangely, they were rather shite. 

The Jesus and Mary Chain emerged around the same time I think. They were far more the real deal. 

15 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

17 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

SSS were massively hyped for a while in the mid 80s weren't they? I think the hype came mainly from Tony James himself, who seemed to be under the impression they were cool and sexy when in fact, strangely, they were rather shite. 

The Jesus and Mary Chain emerged around the same time I think. They were far more the real deal. 

Wasn`t Malcolm MaClaren involved somewhere along the line or have I misremembered?

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

What about fudge?

As the Tv add used to say, " a finger of fudge is just enough to give a girl a treat"! :shocking: 

I used to work with someone on Radio 4 called Fenella Fudge.  Was always temped to bring this advert up. 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Wasn`t Malcolm MaClaren involved somewhere along the line or have I misremembered?

I've googled and it appears not. Very McLaren like stuff all round though.

I almost wanted them to be brilliant just because of the pompous name they had :laugh:

Archived