Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Elruliri

Talksport Paul Cheesley

Recommended Posts

Hawksbee and Jacobs want to get in contact with him to chat on the show later in the week apparently. I just caught the tell end of it, they mentioned his knee injury and some shoot article he did back in the day.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the BT rerun of the Arsenal game yesterday.He looked some player.I was only 6 when it happened but a lot of older city fans I know reckon he would have gone onto play for England.

Such a shame his injury robbed him and us the chance to see what he could have achieved.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

I watched the BT rerun of the Arsenal game yesterday.He looked some player.I was only 6 when it happened but a lot of older city fans I know reckon he would have gone onto play for England.

Such a shame his injury robbed him and us the chance to see what he could have achieved.

Undoubtedly.

Such a shame for the lad - these days, he'd probably be back playing after a few months.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

I was only 6 when it happened but a lot of older city fans I know reckon he would have gone onto play for England.

Turned down an U23 Cap to play for City in the promotion run in. I think he would have been a cert for a full cap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Victory Park Reds said:

I watched the BT rerun of the Arsenal game yesterday.He looked some player.I was only 6 when it happened but a lot of older city fans I know reckon he would have gone onto play for England.

Such a shame his injury robbed him and us the chance to see what he could have achieved.

 

27 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Undoubtedly.

Such a shame for the lad - these days, he'd probably be back playing after a few months.

City’s treatment of his injury was scandalous. Nobody seemed to know what the problem was with his knee, so he was just told to spend weeks on his own running up and down the Dolman to try and strengthen the knee. Although he injured his knee in August the first X-Ray wasn’t until October. Then the specialist told him that running up and down the stands had made the injury worse. To compound matters he was valued at £250k (a lot in those days) but the club had only insured him for £50k which meant he only received £10k

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

In those days Norwich had a scouting network based in and around Bristol.

A bit like Southampton these days.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

In those days Norwich had a scouting network based in and around Bristol.

A bit like Southampton these days.

While we had a scouting network based in and around Glasgow and Edinburgh. Presumably, Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and Hearts were watching lads kicking a ball about in Norfolk....

  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexukhc said:

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

Yes i played for  Clevedon Town in those days, and a number of my team mates went up to Norwich for trials. The most successful  was Ian Davies, who went on to play for Newcastle and Man City.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being born in 74 unfortunately I didn't get the chance to see him live. I have meet him several times and he is a total gentleman. He could of been the best in his generation so I'm told. Mariner was no mug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, myol'man said:

@Dollymarie

Could Scott track Cheese down?

 

He was a hospitality host when I was in there last year, so the club must have his contact details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M49!Yes he does do hospitality sometimes. I've also seen him Going into the ground /turnstiles with all the other fans. 

I watched him from the time he made his debut to his injury v Stoke/Shilton and his unsuccessful comeback attempt v Birmingham.

Hugely talented player, strong, fast, hard shot, brilliant in the air, and didn't allow himself to be bullied or intimidated by some brutal monster centre halves who would today be red carded within 10 minutes of every ko........and only 22/23 when he had to quit so huge potential.

As stated in the thread his treatment was badly handled by the club and each day he ran up and down the Dolman steps in excruciating agony. - and did it because he was told that was the best "rehab" and all he wanted was to pull on the red shirt again - it was actually making his injury worse each day......sports science was non existent then and he'd probably have got the same bad treatment wherever he played.

A £50M player in today's game.  To think in 1976 we had so much talent that came through the youth/reserve team : Cheesley Merrick Gow Ritchie Whitehead Collier Fear etc and now despite the millions spent on the academy and the £70M spent by LJ on 50+ players we have never produced any players as talented!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

 

City’s treatment of his injury was scandalous. Nobody seemed to know what the problem was with his knee, so he was just told to spend weeks on his own running up and down the Dolman to try and strengthen the knee. Although he injured his knee in August the first X-Ray wasn’t until October. Then the specialist told him that running up and down the stands had made the injury worse. To compound matters he was valued at £250k (a lot in those days) but the club had only insured him for £50k which meant he only received £10k

You're right P, it was scandalous. And to make matters worse, the EP ran a back page headline - attributed to Alan Dicks - in Autumn 76, that ran something like, "Cheesley will have to go through the pain barrier for first-team return." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Yes i played for  Clevedon Town in those days, and a number of my team mates went up to Norwich for trials. The most successful  was Ian Davies, who went on to play for Newcastle and Man City.

Norwich offered trials to a number of lads I knew and signed one, Andy Rollings from Portishead, who in addition to Norwich, went on to play for Brighton in the old First Division.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, pongo88 said:

 

City’s treatment of his injury was scandalous. Nobody seemed to know what the problem was with his knee, so he was just told to spend weeks on his own running up and down the Dolman to try and strengthen the knee. Although he injured his knee in August the first X-Ray wasn’t until October. Then the specialist told him that running up and down the stands had made the injury worse. To compound matters he was valued at £250k (a lot in those days) but the club had only insured him for £50k which meant he only received £10k

I was in hospitality for the West Brom game last season and was fortunate to be sat next to Cheese for the meal and HT. This is pretty much word for word what he told us.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Norwich offered trials to a number of lads I knew and signed one, Andy Rollings from Portishead, who in addition to Norwich, went on to play for Brighton in the old First Division.

Pro footballers tend to move to, rather than emerge from Portishead. Can't be many that make it from there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

You're right P, it was scandalous. And to make matters worse, the EP ran a back page headline - attributed to Alan Dicks - in Autumn 76, that ran something like, "Cheesley will have to go through the pain barrier for first-team return." 

Dicksy could've updated everyone via his matchday programme notes as to the bungled (if that's what it was) rehabilitation of Cheese, but he was too busy telling folk that were there at home games buying the programme and paying to get in, that not enough people were there buying the programme and paying to get in. And also, asking fans to be more patient/understanding, less vulgar/foul-mouthed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Pro footballers tend to move to, rather than emerge from Portishead. Can't be many that make it from there?

That’s true for sure! As Paul Cheesley was from Pill and went to school in Portishead, we’ll claim him as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Cheesley went to Whitehouse junior school in Hartcliffe and lived in Greenditch ave. Hartcliffe. Before going to Norwich. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 18:05, bcfc01 said:

In those days Norwich had a scouting network based in and around Bristol.

A bit like Southampton these days.

Yes they took the two lads from Gordano school his mate was a lad called Andy Rollings .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 17:31, alexukhc said:

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

It wasn't obvious to me, but if you say so! 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes they took the two lads from Gordano school his mate was a lad called Andy Rollings .

They had another lad from Cotham as well just before that time, can't remember his name.

But they were very active in Bristol at that time - while City were very active in Scotland.

Having said that, there were four or five lads from the Bristol Schools team that signed for City (one being Gary Collier).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the mid-70s Birmingham City seemed quite active in the area too. Our school team captain went to them and eventually played a few first team games before moving down the leagues.

Quite extraordinarily, after the second day of my new job  I went out with with work colleagues to watch the local side, Tamworth FC. Stood next to the tunnel and who ran out leading the team - my ex-school team captain from Bristol!  

Another of the team was scouted by Tottenham, but didn’t breakthrough the ranks.

What with the Mabbutt’s being grabbed by the Bristol teams at the time, appears Norwich scouts didn’t extend their net to the north side of Bristol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I'm old and rickety, I'm blessed that I was able to watch The Cheese playing for BCFC.  Man was awesome, just had his career ended too soon.  I'm convinced that he'd have been a full England regular if he hadn't got crocked.  As someone else said, an improvement on Paul Mariner at that time.  

It was nice to be in the Lansdown lounge hearing him speak a couple of seasons back at the Hull (5-5) game.  Legend, and a status that was well earned.  

Looking at the attachment, the geezer drove a Cortina 1600E.  The stuff that dreams are made of, eh!

s-l1600-5.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Robin 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Gary Gollier what a football player he was. if he was playing football now he would be worth millions. 

Best defender Ive seen in a City shirt.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think Adam Webster might have pushed him close if we`d got to see him for longer.

Early last season I commented that Webster was the closest I'd seen to Collier.

Playing in today's top flight I think Webster could go on to be as good, if not better, but as always, it's difficult to compare players from different eras.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 17:31, alexukhc said:

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

Back then Norwich had a big scouting network in and around Bristol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 17:31, alexukhc said:

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2020 at 10:09, RedRock said:

In the mid-70s Birmingham City seemed quite active in the area too. Our school team captain went to them and eventually played a few first team games before moving down the leagues.

Quite extraordinarily, after the second day of my new job  I went out with with work colleagues to watch the local side, Tamworth FC. Stood next to the tunnel and who ran out leading the team - my ex-school team captain from Bristol!  

Another of the team was scouted by Tottenham, but didn’t breakthrough the ranks.

What with the Mabbutt’s being grabbed by the Bristol teams at the time, appears Norwich scouts didn’t extend their net to the north side of Bristol. 

Julian Dicks went to Brum to in early mid-80s.  Best player I played against as a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't listened to the Talk Sport show but wondering if Big Cheese mentioned the cross I put in for him to score one of his trademark headers when he was playing as a 'ringer' for us in the Somerset Senior League one evening, late 80's.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...