IGNORED

Talksport Paul Cheesley

Elruliri

In the mid-70s Birmingham City seemed quite active in the area too. Our school team captain went to them and eventually played a few first team games before moving down the leagues.

Quite extraordinarily, after the second day of my new job  I went out with with work colleagues to watch the local side, Tamworth FC. Stood next to the tunnel and who ran out leading the team - my ex-school team captain from Bristol!  

Another of the team was scouted by Tottenham, but didn’t breakthrough the ranks.

What with the Mabbutt’s being grabbed by the Bristol teams at the time, appears Norwich scouts didn’t extend their net to the north side of Bristol. 

Although I'm old and rickety, I'm blessed that I was able to watch The Cheese playing for BCFC.  Man was awesome, just had his career ended too soon.  I'm convinced that he'd have been a full England regular if he hadn't got crocked.  As someone else said, an improvement on Paul Mariner at that time.  

It was nice to be in the Lansdown lounge hearing him speak a couple of seasons back at the Hull (5-5) game.  Legend, and a status that was well earned.  

Looking at the attachment, the geezer drove a Cortina 1600E.  The stuff that dreams are made of, eh!

s-l1600-5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

7 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Gary Gollier what a football player he was. if he was playing football now he would be worth millions. 

Best defender Ive seen in a City shirt.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think Adam Webster might have pushed him close if we`d got to see him for longer.

Early last season I commented that Webster was the closest I'd seen to Collier.

Playing in today's top flight I think Webster could go on to be as good, if not better, but as always, it's difficult to compare players from different eras.

• Like 2

On 30/03/2020 at 17:31, alexukhc said:

Obviously I’m 35 so never saw him play, but reading about him, how did a kid who was born in Bristol and went to school in Bristol picked up by Norwich? Has our scouting for youth always been this bad? 

Back then Norwich had a big scouting network in and around Bristol. 

On 01/04/2020 at 10:09, RedRock said:

In the mid-70s Birmingham City seemed quite active in the area too. Our school team captain went to them and eventually played a few first team games before moving down the leagues.

Quite extraordinarily, after the second day of my new job  I went out with with work colleagues to watch the local side, Tamworth FC. Stood next to the tunnel and who ran out leading the team - my ex-school team captain from Bristol!  

Another of the team was scouted by Tottenham, but didn’t breakthrough the ranks.

What with the Mabbutt’s being grabbed by the Bristol teams at the time, appears Norwich scouts didn’t extend their net to the north side of Bristol. 

Julian Dicks went to Brum to in early mid-80s.  Best player I played against as a kid.

Haven't listened to the Talk Sport show but wondering if Big Cheese mentioned the cross I put in for him to score one of his trademark headers when he was playing as a 'ringer' for us in the Somerset Senior League one evening, late 80's.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I was hoping to contact Paul Cheesley to ask him to autograph some memorabilia for my father. 

Paul remains my Dad's favourite ever City player, I don't think that will ever change now!

If anyone knows how to get in touch with him I would be most grateful.

Try and contact Richard Latham.  If anyone can get hold of Cheese it'll be him, I'm sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sinenomine said:

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I was hoping to contact Paul Cheesley to ask him to autograph some memorabilia for my father. 

Paul remains my Dad's favourite ever City player, I don't think that will ever change now!

If anyone knows how to get in touch with him I would be most grateful.

Cheese hosts in the Heineken lounge most matchdays. You can find him there, or via the club's commercial department.

5 hours ago, red colin said:

Yes played against Paul when he played for Easton in Gordano either boys club or school not sure. 

I went one better :laugh: played against him sunday prem he was at Taylor brothers i was at immediate deliveries our manager said I want you to Mark cheese so he put me centre back usually upfront we lost 5.0 cheese got five :laugh:

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

I went one better :laugh: played against him sunday prem he was at Taylor brothers i was at immediate deliveries our manager said I want you to Mark cheese so he put me centre back usually upfront we lost 5.0 cheese got five :laugh:

Ha  well believe it or not I'm sure he played in goal when I played against him everyone knew he was on way to Norwich so think he was taking the mick .

• Like 1

On 01/04/2020 at 16:56, JackofromSanJavier said:

Although I'm old and rickety, I'm blessed that I was able to watch The Cheese playing for BCFC.  Man was awesome, just had his career ended too soon.  I'm convinced that he'd have been a full England regular if he hadn't got crocked.  As someone else said, an improvement on Paul Mariner at that time.  

It was nice to be in the Lansdown lounge hearing him speak a couple of seasons back at the Hull (5-5) game.  Legend, and a status that was well earned.  

Looking at the attachment, the geezer drove a Cortina 1600E.  The stuff that dreams are made of, eh!

s-l1600-5.jpg

My dad lived near him in Hartcliffe for a while.

Spoke with him at the bar in the Whitchurch Folkhouse once, Shearer had just been transferred for £15 million, Cheese said he would have been worth almost that - Arsenal offered £250k in 1976 if I recall correctly, were turned down by City, and so they bought Malcom MacDonald for £300k instead.

Love some of his answers:

FAVOURITE OTHER TEAMS: Bristol City reserves and Bristol City youth

BIGGEST THRILL: Scoring for Bristol City (not for example playing for Norwich in a league cup semi final or scoring forNorwich at Anfield)

BEST COUNTRY VISITED: England

PROFESIONAL AMBITION: To help City gain promotion

Top man.

• Like 1