IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The more I read, the more irrelevant football becomes.

I’m past caring about finishing the season, Euro 2020 and when next season will start. I fear it’ll be all lost in the noise over the coming months.

You're right, of course, but this is a football forum after all, so makes sense to debate the football season.

The somewhat biased panel on the Sunday Supplement on Sky commented that when we are all in lockdown and panicked, football could be exactly the distraction that people need.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

You're right, of course, but this is a football forum after all, so makes sense to debate the football season.

The somewhat biased panel on the Sunday Supplement on Sky commented that when we are all in lockdown and panicked, football could be exactly the distraction that people need.

They would though because that's provided them a living for people who have no love of football they would say different 

55 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Things are already descending into chaos. And there was no way on Earth this report would be suppressed. You cannot control chaos by trying to hide things that are bound to come out very quickly indeed.

But you would expect them to still try and keep order and potentially a lid on things. 

The problem lies with the people leeking this confidential information, not the intention of the government to keep some kind of order. 

Edited by Robin-hugh-blind
Typo

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Nicked from elsewhere:

Panic in the aisles of Tesco
Panic in the aisles of Sainsbury's
I wonder to myself
Could my bum ever be clean again?
The Co-Op aisles that you look down
I wonder to myself
Hopes may rise in the Aldi
But honey pie, there's no Andrex here
So you run down
To the safety of the town
But there’s panic in the aisles of Lidl
Costco, Asda, Morrisons
I wonder to myself.

get over it 

there is more way than one way to clean your arse

if in doubt ask an indian neighbour or you tube it 

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fairly ominous, grave posts by @bcfc01 and @Robin-hugh-blind

My view is based on information given by members in verious parts of the military and civil service and may well be 'full of it' as you say. And I hope so.

But overwhelming priority for them seems to be how to control or predict public reactions. 

All I was alluding to is that it's not far fetched to see the government soften particular bits of public information for our own good and that is what there job is. 

Obviously the lefty's will cry but in the real world this kind of tactic (when used appropriately) can save lives and money. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

On 14/03/2020 at 18:16, Littlesh*t said:

Sorry if it's already been covered but what will happen if they delay the season and players are out of contract this summer? They aren't going to sign a new contract with the club so could potentially be without key players . Also same for loan players 

Would the players be made to play under Force Majeure? 

Would make most sense but no idea if it can apply in this sense or if it needs to be actually stated in contracts when signed

2 hours ago, RumRed said:

It happened.

It’s the possibility of a decent trade agreement that’s being screwed by this (Not that I ever thought we’d get one).

Love to see the Venn diagram between all those ‘Blitz Spirit’, ‘Dunkirk’, ‘D-Day’ spouting gammons and those stockpiling ******* Andrex.

I’m imagining just 1 circle.

Interestingly, the EU is planning a major equipment pooling effort, plus sharing information and data. Whatever your views on Brexit, it’s a great pity that we are not part of this. 

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Would the players be made to play under Force Majeure? 

Would make most sense but no idea if it can apply in this sense or if it needs to be actually stated in contracts when signed

Rather a lot of clubs will be in financial dire straits by then. If there is no definite date for re-starting, I doubt that many clubs will be able to afford to offer new contracts.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Interestingly, the EU is planning a major equipment pooling effort, plus sharing information and data. Whatever your views on Brexit, it’s a great pity that we are not part of this. 

My views are quite clear, just over half the country are mad, or been lied to.

The only way that I can cope is that I haven’t kids, however having no skin in the game does make me unattractively gloating.  Not a good look.

Need to work on that, but suck it up you plastic flag wavers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RumRed said:

My views are quite clear, just over half the country are mad, or been lied to.

The only way that I can cope is that I haven’t kids, however having no skin in the game does make me unattractively gloating.  Not a good look.

Need to work on that, but suck it up you plastic flag wavers.

Agree re Brexit, but the U.K. needs to grow up rapidly. Brexit is irrelevant, we need to work as closely as possible with other Countries, sharing resources, data and information. We have no idea what mess economies will be in by the end, so no point thinking about trade deals.

Politically, it’s very clear that Johnson is way out of his depth and totally the wrong man for the job. It’s not Johnson or Corbyn as many believe, we just need a cross party effort pooling the best talents, led by somebody who is not divisive, and is capable of rational decision making.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Ashton appears to be a 'former' self important gobshite. Interesting he doesn't suggest what Government should be doing other than 'convene COBRA' (which for those who've never been there is a ROOM -Cabinet Office Briefing Room A, as opposed to the smaller B.) It's not a standing function of control. It's political point scoring at times like these that aren't needed.

Anybody know why he's 'former' and now a rent a quote?

Precisely.

He was the outspoken 'Star', read boorish oaf, who interrupted incessantly on last week's Question Time.

As you say, this paid-up Labour Party member seemed unable to state what should be done, but just constantly criticised what was being done by the current Government.

Interestingly, both the Labour and SNP panellists were openly supportive of the Conservative actions thus far.  

2 hours ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

My view is based on information given by members in verious parts of the military and civil service and may well be 'full of it' as you say. And I hope so.

But overwhelming priority for them seems to be how to control or predict public reactions. 

All I was alluding to is that it's not far fetched to see the government soften particular bits of public information for our own good and that is what there job is. 

Obviously the lefty's will cry but in the real world this kind of tactic (when used appropriately) can save lives and money. 

Possible my post was a little ott. 

My 'full of it' claim wasn't a dig, more a hope. More a hope because the alternative is ever more worrying. 

Agreed, it's certainly known to happen.  Unsure how I feel about it, mixed views but there were go.

The military stuff, what kinda stuff have they been saying- making the assumption that this is all public domain, granted! If not then nothing can be said.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

You lost get over it.

And you won ?‍♂️. Well done, live with it (or maybe not, considering we’re no longer aligned with Europe regards shared ventilators, manufacturing, access to drugs etc).

Soon be coming home to roost, enjoy!

Edited by RumRed
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, RumRed said:

And you won ?‍♂️. Well done, live with it (or maybe not, considering we’re no longer aligned with Europe regards shared ventilators, manufacturing, access to drugs etc).

Soon be coming home to roost, enjoy!

Funny how we managed for 100s of years before we joined the EU, don't worry I'm sure we will be fine we usually are.

5 hours ago, pillred said:

Funny how we managed for 100s of years before we joined the EU, don't worry I'm sure we will be fine we usually are.

Not the time for this Brexit stuff. The U.K. needs to work closely with other Countries right now, noting that the EU Countries are pooling resources, data and information. We should be putting our pride to one side and joining that, after all, putting a flag on your FB status and saying ‘we won’ gives you zero immunity.

Economies will crash badly, the World is in crisis, so how can we even begin worrying about trade deals? 
And how did individual EU Countries close their borders? I thought we had lost control of ours?? Remember, Brexit is about our last priority right now.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

113 deaths in Iran in 24 hrs

368 Italian deaths in last 24 hrs.

Hospitals are running out of ventilators, and sadly 90% of those on them will die. I think Italy has something like 1700 patients being ventilated for more than 7 days on ECMO - the chance of recovery is very slim.

Because of its complexity and risk, ECMO is most often used as a last resort in patients suffering massive lung failure, heart failure, the effects of massive infection such as sepsis or pneumonia.

Doctors have lowered the max age for use of ventilators to 55 in Northern Italy.

Guys I work in Anaesthetics. 

It's bad over in both those countries, and the rest of Europe and the Middle East are catching up fast- which is why I really doubt the Chinese info.

• Like 1

If the season is deemed null and void, do Bolton start another season on -12 points? If Bury get their Finances in order will they have a claim to be reinstated to the league? 

Id hate to be in charge of all this, so many winners and losers from any alternative other than getting the season finished.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

If the season is deemed null and void, do Bolton start another season on -12 points? If Bury get their Finances in order will they have a claim to be reinstated to the league? 

Id hate to be in charge of all this, so many winners and losers from any alternative other than getting the season finished.

Contracts ending on 30.06 seems to be a big hurdle.

Someone suggested finishing this season whenever but treat the period until re-start as another short window to allow renewals, etc.

With any suggestion, the finer detail is always the stumbling block.

But statements like “xyz is the likely route they’ll go” is rubbish.  The leagues haven’t sat down yet, so anything suggested, is just a high level idea at this point.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Is it me, or is it becoming hard to find information on what is going on? I feel I know more about whats going on in the USA than I do here in my own country this morning. 

That's because Boris has gone missing for the last few days.

Apparently he is due to speak later.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Who is working from home by now then?

Clearly some jobs, perhaps even a decent number of jobs if you can't you can't but interested to see how many employers have sent staff to work from home etc, for those jobs that can obviously.

I worked at home Tues-Fri last week, at home today, but plan on going in tomorrow.  Our IBM contractors have been told to work at home until 31st March.  Undoubtedly it will be quiet in the office.  The tech is holding up.  

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Who is working from home by now then?

Clearly some jobs, perhaps even a decent number of jobs if you can't you can't but interested to see how many employers have sent staff to work from home etc, for those jobs that can obviously.

I tended to work from home anyway, but last week I was asked to work from home for the foreseeable future.

Conversation was a bit weird though.

'Rob, would you be okay to work from home for an extended period of time? Only we want to ensure that those who can, do, and if you do need to come in, it'll be by exception...'

My reply was to sigh slightly, and then 'reluctantly agree'.

This was met with a 'thank you so much, we really appreciate it, critical to the success of the protect etc...'

Just goes to show how 'critical' I am, I have only been in to work twice this year (on both occasions because there was a meal/drinks social) and I only went in about a dozen times last year, and that was just to keep my door card activated.

Critical my arse. The fact they haven't missed me or noticed I never came in anyway tells you just how valued I am!

Just means I have to share bandwidth with 1000s or others now!

Edited by Bristol Rob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1