IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers - the ‘recovered’ figures have interested me on all sites such as these. I know these sites have been highlighted as being the most accurate etc but not sure how ‘recoveries’ can be measured accurately - and if they are some countries’ recovered figures seem low? Eg, using your link, in the UK 1.4% of those infected have recovered - just doesn’t seem accurate especially when these sites are showing that over 76% of those infected in China have recovered... but we have to rely on any info that is deemed to represent the best sources I suppose ...

Would it be because many of the people within the UK are still within self isolation periods etc so not 'recovered', whereas China the majority of theirs will have come out of those periods being a few weeks ahead of us

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, City oz said:

The sister in-law visited us about 5 weeks ago from the UK. She stayed for about 3 weeks. When here we organized a winery tour which included about 5 wineries and a couple of micro breweries. The trip was a day trip and we were on a mini bus which was full. There was us 3 pomms, 6 x persons from Austria and 2 x Italians. 2 of the girls from Australia were a bit sick. 

2 days after when I got home I started to feel hot/cold and fluey. I went to the quacks and have been on 2 x courses of anti-biotics and still not quite well. I have had this now for over 3 weeks.

it has been confirmed I have a flu virus. I also had the flu jabs this year as well. 

Just sharing this information As the common flu is always around no matter where you are. However if you are run down and in the unlikely hood you do catch the Corona stuff and you already have the flu you will not have much chance of surviving. 

Drives me mad that - why do quacks still give out anti-biotics for symptoms of a virus?  They do nothing for viruses and over prescribing them makes them ineffective against serious bacterial infections.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

I see all assessments related to benefit claims have been postponed for three months 

Expecting a spike in unemployment perhaps- temporary or otherwise.

Spike in unemployment means things like benefit assessments will become quite a bit lower a priority at this time, and when that happens- yep streamlining, priorities etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

27 minutes ago, Nibor said:

You're interested in facts now?!  It was meant to be ironic.

Ahh irony. Very good.

Hey, I was just reminding you not to believe everything you read. But you know that already right. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, seems normal enough in central Bristol- though will have to see a bit later.

Reading online though, saw a virtually empty tube. Suggestions of plenty in West London working from home,. not chancing it. Could be a small sample size, granted.

7_Q47spK?format=jpg&name=small

ETODnTXXgAA2Uhc?format=jpg&name=small

ETODjbqWAAINgvC?format=jpg&name=small

These are pretty selective photos. I just spent a week in London for work. Tubes were busy as usual, Paddington was busy. Heathrow T5 yesterday wasn't packed to the rafters but was pretty busy. Plane was full. 

Could have taken half a dozen photos myself that showed a totally different outlook than what you've put here from the papers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

These are pretty selective photos. I just spent a week in London for work. Tubes were busy as usual, Paddington was busy. Heathrow T5 yesterday wasn't packed to the rafters but was pretty busy. Plane was full. 

Could have taken half a dozen photos myself that showed a totally different outlook than what you've put here from the papers.

Okay thanks, that brings a bit more balance.

Still I'm not so certain...a number of those were outside London too it's worth remembering.

Secondly, just read that footfall on the tube last week was down 19%. If true it does suggest a fair few are taking up/requesting the work from home option where possible.

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Guessing you were on the BA through Nassau: any word or speculation as to what BA might be doing with that route?

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Precisely.

He was the outspoken 'Star', read boorish oaf, who interrupted incessantly on last week's Question Time.

As you say, this paid-up Labour Party member seemed unable to state what should be done, but just constantly criticised what was being done by the current Government.

Interestingly, both the Labour and SNP panellists were openly supportive of the Conservative actions thus far.  

See also Corbyn announcing he's so upset with Johnson's actions he'll be writing to him to ask what emergency measures his Health Secretary will be announcing Tuesday ? (As if the PM wasn't busy enough at the moment.)

As commentators pointed out, rather than shooting his mouth off on TV and social media Corbyn might simply have asked his Shadow Health Secretary who in a welcome cross-party, emergency effort helped Government draft the emergency measures to be announced.

Or John McDonald this morning proselytising the Government : " ...must listen to the people," this from a senior party member who concluded that Labour's utterly disastrous election resulted from them, er, not listening to the people. What would he have us do, stockpile bog-rolls in case 70's terrace projectiles make a comeback?

Those seeking political gain from this extraordinary global crisis should never be given the time of day once it passes (as it will.)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

See also Corbyn announcing he's so upset with Johnson's actions he'll be writing to him to ask what emergency measures his Health Secretary will be announcing Tuesday ? (As if the PM wasn't busy enough at the moment.)

As commentators pointed out, rather than shooting his mouth off on TV and social media Corbyn might simply have asked his Shadow Health Secretary who in a welcome cross-party, emergency effort helped Government draft the emergency measures to be announced.

Or John McDonald this morning proselytising the Government : " ...must listen to the people," this from a senior party member who concluded that Labour's utterly disastrous election resulted from them, er, not listening to the people. What would he have us do, stockpile bog-rolls in case 70's terrace projectiles make a comeback?

Those seeking political gain from this extraordinary global crisis should never be given the time of day once it passes (as it will.)

Not to go party political but there are a lot of big voids here- nobody's fault as such, but it does show how unprepared we are as a nation.

• Mass layoffs- what happens to rent and mortgages?
  • Mass unemployment- can SSP or benefits cover the above?
  • Or even cost of living verbatim.
  • Will the DWP be able to administer all of the above?

Lot of unanswered questions and that's just a few...fear big cracks may develop but we'll see.

What I do agree with you on is that cross-party efforts should well and truly be required.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Guessing you were on the BA through Nassau: any word or speculation as to what BA might be doing with that route?

I was. It was fine yesterday. My boss' wife has been saying she's heard that today's flight may be the last one. But honestly that is just hearsay. Give BA a call if you're thinking of booking it.

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Nobody should be politicising this but it nonetheless alarms me that people are starting to use requests not to policitise this as a way to shut down legitimate questions about why we are pursing a strategy that runs contrary to what other countries are doing, contrary to WHO advice and contrary to the actions taken by those countries that do appear to have the outbreak under control.

We are being guided by science but nonetheless using different scientific advice to the scientific advice being followed by other countries, including countries with direct experience of containing pandemics that we lack.

In particular, the decision to no longer track or test cases that can be treated at home means we no longer know how and where the virus is spreading and that means - if the government’s models are wrong - we will not have the days to change course.

I have no desire to criticise the government on a political basis but people will die if the government get this wrong and it is vital that appropriate scientific scrutiny is not dismissed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

56 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Nobody should be politicising this but it nonetheless alarms me that people are starting to use requests not to policitise this as a way to shut down legitimate questions about why we are pursing a strategy that runs contrary to what other countries are doing, contrary to WHO advice and contrary to the actions taken by those countries that do appear to have the outbreak under control.

We are being guided by science but nonetheless using different scientific advice to the scientific advice being followed by other countries, including countries with direct experience of containing pandemics that we lack.

In particular, the decision to no longer track or test cases that can be treated at home means we no longer know how and where the virus is spreading and that means - if the government’s models are wrong - we will not have the days to change course.

I have no desire to criticise the government on a political basis but people will die if the government get this wrong and it is vital that appropriate scientific scrutiny is not dismissed.

Trying to shut down legit questions by accusing people of politicising it. A bit of Government transparency wouldn't go amiss...something that @bcfc01 and @Robin-hugh-blind seem less than keen on too based on their posts last night.

BTRFTG does seem to defend them, parrot their line or act as an apologist for them quite a bit, but taking the Government out of it I wonder what the strategy really is...

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://footballspotlite.com/stranraers-ryan-stevenson-offers-to-return-wages-to-help-club-during-shutdown/

:clap:

Point is we all have to make sacrifices during these times...wonder if any big earners in the PL especially will follow suit, Championship clubs have it especially acute- but then so in some ways do the bottom 2 divisions.

Well Liverpool have a timely goodwill PR opportunity. Sacrifice a weeks wages to help Tranmere, Southport and grass roots in Merseyside. Might curry a little extra favour in the future...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I think it's  safe to say that Corbyn's time of day will be long gone by the time this passes.

As an aside, can't help wondering whether the age reportedly chosen  for elderly people being required to self isolate has anything to do with the fact that Corbyn is 70?! 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Well Liverpool have a timely goodwill PR opportunity. Sacrifice a weeks wages to help Tranmere, Southport and grass roots in Merseyside. Might curry a little extra favour in the future...

Think Everton would be more likely myself, they have one of the best Community Schemes out there- but I won't hold my breath about clubs or top players in general.

Said it before, football could do a lot- but time will tell.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not getting into Brexit because this is neither time or place but your last thoughts were undoubtedly shared by the Roman Empire before its collapse, the great nations of Europe as tensions escalated in 1914, the citizens of Weimar Republic when the Nazis got voted in, Nicholas Ceausecu as he stepped on the balcony to deliver his speech and the Russian Monarchy in 2017.

Every civilisation in history is usually fine until it suddenly no longer is.

They were probably confident 100 years earlier, but look how that turned out....?.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Would it be because many of the people within the UK are still within self isolation periods etc so not 'recovered', whereas China the majority of theirs will have come out of those periods being a few weeks ahead of us

You’re probably correct - it may be more apt to show those numbers as ‘non-critical/recovering’ rather than quote such low figures

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Who is working from home by now then?

Clearly some jobs, perhaps even a decent number of jobs if you can't you can't but interested to see how many employers have sent staff to work from home etc, for those jobs that can obviously.

Can easily work from home, still expected in the office with the other 50 odd people though.

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay thanks, that brings a bit more balance.

Still I'm not so certain...a number of those were outside London too it's worth remembering.

Secondly, just read that footfall on the tube last week was down 19%. If true it does suggest a fair few are taking up/requesting the work from home option where possible.

Plus there’s no football. 
on the overground from Euston, relatively quiet but don’t use it regularly to know otherwise. People still need to get places. Paddington was a bit quiet on Saturday but the train coming back to London was full

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not to go party political but there are a lot of big voids here- nobody's fault as such, but it does show how unprepared we are as a nation.

• Mass layoffs- what happens to rent and mortgages?
  • Mass unemployment- can SSP or benefits cover the above?
  • Or even cost of living verbatim.
  • Will the DWP be able to administer all of the above?

Lot of unanswered questions and that's just a few...fear big cracks may develop but we'll see.

What I do agree with you on is that cross-party efforts should well and truly be required.

Didn’t the Italian government announce that all mortgage/rent and utility bill charges have been suspended for the foreseeable future? Don’t know the ins and outs of the detail but that must be reassuring for their populace if true ...