IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Chancellor has just announced an initial £330 BILLION (15% GDP) will be available for any business to pay bills, wages, rent etc

If this isn't enough more will be available 

Money will be available from next week and currently 6 months interest free loan

Good news indeed,I wouldn’t  expect it to be a full wage though maybe 75%.?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

Chancellor has just announced an initial £330 BILLION (15% GDP) will be available for any business to pay bills, wages, rent etc

Money will be available from next week and currently 6 months interest free loan

I would’ve felt much better about this had it been mentioned yesterday, when first advice given re “not going out”....but at least they’ve now reacted.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Maybe an across-the-board 25% reduction in salaries while games are not being played. Could buy time for some smaller clubs, while not being so stringent that lower league players cannot put food on their families' tables.

There is an assumption that because footballers earned more over their short careers they are in a position of disposable cash they can spare.

If you have an (say on average) ten year career, you'd not find a lender who is going to give you a 25 year mortgage on your 3 million quid house. You'll be shelling out a fortune on repayments and critical illness cover so that if you career comes to a premature end you aren't homeless, likewise trying to get a suitable pension pot in place for the end of a short career is going to be a stretch.

Yes, there will be some players who can probably afford it, but a lot of players already give strongly to charities.

I don't think it's for players to do anything.

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

This.

my mum called me today, sent home from work for having a fever and cough. I’ve been with her this weekend and last, so work sent me home this afternoon (To work from home) after the call.

I then got an email saying one of the directors has suggested if I have no symptoms myself I should come back to work tomorrow!

My partners also got a temperature though no other symptoms of yet. All a little too close to home now - for someone who admittedly thought they’d have little chance of catching it

Exactly, we’re at the mercy of our employers.  Much as people say just do it, that’s not how the world works.  Government should shut it down officially so people an companies can claim on insurance.  For the ‘party of business’ Boris is a ***.

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

This.

my mum called me today, sent home from work for having a fever and cough. I’ve been with her this weekend and last, so work sent me home this afternoon (To work from home) after the call.

I then got an email saying one of the directors has suggested if I have no symptoms myself I should come back to work tomorrow!

My partners also got a temperature though no other symptoms of yet. All a little too close to home now - for someone who admittedly thought they’d have little chance of catching it

Your director is a dick.

Where has he been ? Under a rock ?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

This.

Tell him you won't be going in as the government has said not to! And tell him he is a cock.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Exactly, we’re at the mercy of our employers.  Much as people say just do it, that’s not how the world works.  Government should shut it down officially so people an companies can claim on insurance.  For the ‘party of business’ Boris is a ***.

Been mentioned today that even closing businesses, most businesses Insurance doesn’t cover a closure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Genuine question, can the insurance companies afford this if there are widespread payouts?

Easily as a vast majority of policies will not cover it. This is just the wording to make those who do have the relevant policy, get paid out.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, phantom said:

What about the self employed?

Fair play on this stimulus- and I hope the self-employed, the zero hours/self-employed will get a boost too.

If only the Government had done this a couple of days ago though, I wonder how many who were let go as a result of this may still be in work. Say it had been announced Friday.

Fair play, they've stepped up but do wonder how many have slipped through the cracks between say last Friday and 5.30pm today.

The gig economy as well, just mentioned on the news- like self employed, they are more vulnerable than most.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

So more 'advice' but no action from the govt, still putting the onus on the public despite the fact they say follow what has been put out to help suppress the curve as much as possible, if its reached that level of importance shouldn't it now be a govt decision rather than advice? 

• Admin
1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not really, they said in the Conference that this was agreed with insurers today.

It’s an unprecedented situation, anyone expecting everything to be neatly organised and announced on day one is jumping the gun, things will change day by day, so there is no point in getting all excited or upset until something you want is definitively ruled out.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would’ve felt much better about this had it been mentioned yesterday, when first advice given re “not going out”....but at least they’ve now reacted.

Indeed. Even if it was just something like "we recognise that those establishments affected will be concerned, but we are finalising details of how we will support them and will announce this in the coming days", that would have been a start.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair play on this stimulus- and I hope the self-employed, the zero hours/self-employed will get a boost too.

If only the Government had done this a couple of days ago though, I wonder how many who were let go as a result of this may still be in work. Say it had been announced Friday.

Fair play, they've stepped up but do wonder how many have slipped through the cracks between say last Friday and 5.30pm today.

The gig economy as well, just mentioned on the news- like self employed, they are more vulnerable than most.

I would imagine its taken quite a few meetings and hours with many people over different sectors to get agreements.

Doesn't seem to me to be the sort of package that could be knocked up much quicker than it has done.

This is a fast moving and changing crisis and, as I see it, it is reasonable to assume we will always be reactive to most aspects of it.

So, big question for businesses:

- do I carry on in a very difficult economy and have a loan to try to service afterwards in a difficult economy (vicious circle!!), making profit margins smaller 

- bail out now

This will be a huge decision, and terms of loan not yet known, but ‘attractive’ rates.  It’s a step in the right direction, £330bn sounds great....but it ain’t free money to keep the economy going.

Thats my knee jerk reaction. 

Happy to be educated.

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I would imagine its taken quite a few meetings and hours with many people over different sectors to get agreements.

Doesn't seem to me to be the sort of package that could be knocked up much quicker than it has done.

This is a fast moving and changing crisis and, as I see it, it is reasonable to assume we will always be reactive to most aspects of it.

Well there is that of course, and yes reactive but they could have announced as Dave said, about significant support packages on the way, in progress- bear with us, etc.

That would have enabled businesses not so shed 30% of staff and maybe more in a week, as I know of at least one that did that last week!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harry said:

If you have the ability to work from home then you should do so. 
That’s the advice. That’ll keep the salary coming for those people. 
Of course there are HUGE challenges to come for many people who won’t be able to work and whose employers have to close. I know all about that, as my wife works in a restaurant who’ve had 500 cancellations yesterday and is likely to be let go. 
Yes, the government have a massive role to play in ensuring there is as little impact to people and businesses as possible. Big big challenge. 

But that’s a totally different argument to “I can work from home but I’ve decided not to because my employer isn’t following the advice”. 

It's not a digatyou but how many people on the menial, low paid, zero contract hours can work from home? 

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So, big question for businesses:

- do I carry on in a very difficult economy and have a loan to try to service afterwards in a difficult economy (vicious circle!!), making profit margins smaller 

- bail out now

This will be a huge decision, and terms of loan not yet known, but ‘attractive’ rates.  It’s a step in the right direction, £330bn sounds great....but it ain’t free money to keep the economy going.

Thats my knee jerk reaction. 

Happy to be educated.

As a contractor, you are a business.

Have a look at the grant options - might be wrong, but a grant sounds quite different to a loan.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Another indicator that we are living in remarkale times.

Clearly full sympathies with those affected on job front.

Well they got rid of contractors with immediate effect.. unfortunately that is the life of a contractor.  Make hay while the sun is shining

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Contractors temp staff, much the same?

Depends what temp staff are I guess. Like seasonal staff. Its shit but with those type of roles you a very vulnerable. Hell if you haven't been in a permy role for more than 2 years you really have no rights.. unless you there is a bullying case involved. It's the world we live now.

Bad times

• Like 1