IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

5 minutes ago, TRL said:

Depends what temp staff are I guess. Like seasonal staff. Its shit but with those type of roles you a very vulnerable. Hell if you haven't been in a permy role for more than 2 years you really have no rights.. unless you there is a bullying case involved. It's the world we live now.

Bad times

There's different types tbh, wouldn't you say?

Contractors. White collar, non white collar. Some of these can make hay and yes, but not all- world we live in as you say.

Self-employed. The traditional traders, labourers- builders, whatever. Again some of these, but by no means all can be 

'Self-employed'. The most vulnerable. These are self-employed, but not really- better known as zero hours, but self- employed or via agencies partially, tax reasons or whatever. Or I don't know, door knocking on commission only- loads of these types of jobs around, some better than others but these fall through the cracks and some especially so.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

As a contractor, you are a business.

Have a look at the grant options - might be wrong, but a grant sounds quite different to a loan.

Generally, as I understand it, you are obviously obliged to repay a loan.

Not so with a grant.

At least, I hope that is how it works.

3 minutes ago, !james said:

Sensible move. Hopefully some can benefit from this 

Some have been doing this for some time.

Seen the Trooper delivery van around East Bristol loads of times.

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not so with a grant.

At least, I hope that is how it works.

As I understand it the grants are available to businesses that are getting Small Business Rate Relief, as a contractor I don't have business premises other than my home office so don't think I'm eligible for any grants.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So, big question for businesses:

- do I carry on in a very difficult economy and have a loan to try to service afterwards in a difficult economy (vicious circle!!), making profit margins smaller 

- bail out now

This will be a huge decision, and terms of loan not yet known, but ‘attractive’ rates.  It’s a step in the right direction, £330bn sounds great....but it ain’t free money to keep the economy going.

Thats my knee jerk reaction. 

Happy to be educated.

One Pretty big retailer is going BOGOF on everything in store tomorrow for probably a few weeks. Cash is king!

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

- do I carry on in a very difficult economy and have a loan to try to service afterwards in a difficult economy (vicious circle!!), making profit margins smaller 

- bail out now

This will be a huge decision, and terms of loan not yet known, but ‘attractive’ rates.  It’s a step in the right direction, £330bn sounds great....but it ain’t free money to keep the economy going.

Happy to be educated.

Hi Dave, I'd suggest following Richard Murphy's twitter or blog. He's currently tweeting about Sunak's useless announcements. Educational and informative.

https://twitter.com/RichardJMurphy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

- bail out now

Happy to be educated.

I think if your business is limited liability now is the time to borrow to the hilt and delay any payments to HMRC, worry about it if you get through this intact.  It's about survival not profits at this point. 

Investors I deal with are basically advising hunker down hard now and string it out for as long as you can.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There's different types tbh, wouldn't you say?

Contractors. White collar, non white collar. Some of these can make hay and yes, but not all- world we live in as you say.

Self-employed. The traditional traders, labourers- builders, whatever. Again some of these, but by no means all can be 

'Self-employed'. The most vulnerable. These are self-employed, but not really- better known as zero hours, but self- employed or via agencies partially, tax reasons or whatever. Or I don't know, door knocking on commission only- loads of these types of jobs around, some better than others but these fall through the cracks and some especially so.

Oh without doubt. Many types and all can be under the heading contractors. Each one very much open to market conditions. Some people may not have any other choice but to work in this type of role, a lot do, be it for more money or working for yourself. Something to think about if the choice is in your remote.

That said if you are not under an umbrella company some of these contractors will be seen as a business in their own right so will hopefully be getting some help

Just popped on here to see how things are going. Glad to see everyone taking things seriously. 

At the current rate it will take 71 days for the whole population of the world to contract that disease!

Strain in hospitals is expected to peak as soon as schools close. 

Look after your olds. Some of them aren’t going to make it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TRL said:

Oh without doubt. Many types and all can be under the heading contractors. Each one very much open to market conditions. Some people may not have any other choice but to work in this type of role, a lot do, be it for more money or working for yourself. Something to think about if the choice is in your remote.

That said if you are not under an umbrella company some of these contractors will be seen as a business in their own right so will hopefully be getting some help

Good point by the BBC economics editor.

Point is, think Government need to do something- tailored- but do something for all groups in these troubled times. Great many do, and will need help.

An unprecedented package with glaring omissions

Dharshini David

Economics Correspondent

This is an unprecedented package for unprecedented times.

We shouldn't dismiss this and it is just a first step.

But there are glaring omissions - most notably the help for the self employed, the freelancers and people working in the gig economy. The big question is - what is going to be done for those people.

And what about benefits and sick pay? We hear about some businesses who are saying to workers that if they isolate they have to do it on unpaid leave.

It will also take time for these measures to be put into action.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

51 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

As a contractor, you are a business.

Have a look at the grant options - might be wrong, but a grant sounds quite different to a loan.

Wasn’t thinking about me per se!!! ?

47 minutes ago, !james said:

Sensible move. Hopefully some can benefit from this 

Indeed.

Heres Darragh from Peterborough. Lots of good concepts.

9 hours ago, downendcity said:

Had BJ announced  a total lockdown - schools shut, travel stopped etc - 2 weeks ago, to avoid greater infection, I strongly suspect that any of those now criticising his actions would have been equally vocal in criticising him for overreacting and jeopardising business, when the majority of other countries had not taken such steps.

What like suspending football last Thursday only 5 days ago 

The way I see it (lucky enough to have a wife who is a director of an insurance company to tell me, very little businesses have BI insurance and if they do COVID-19 certainly is not named on notify-able deceases) is the government are  asking us the general public to take control and stay away,  rather than imposing a ban. But we all know that will be coming within days rather than weeks. 

My wife sent me this link regarding insurance cover against this pandemic.

https://www.abi.org.uk/news/news-articles/2020/03/statement-on-business-insurance-and-coronavirus/

While a lot of employers are hanging on, insisting staff try to attend at the moment, I'll give you some news about an employer positive.

I work for a world wide company and was, sadly, badly ill in late 2017 with sepsis and pneumonia. I'm absolutely fine now and have been for over 2 years.

My employer has gone back through each employees employment records, looking for elevated risk and informed me I'm not allowed to go to a company site or enter a customer's premises for 12 weeks as I'm at an 'elevated risk' and to work from home where I can. 

Totally shocked me and i was a bit gutted but, in support of their decision, they are looking out for me as well as themselves. Roll on June 14th when I can do some 'proper' work.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Galway Red said:

It's not a digatyou but how many people on the menial, low paid, zero contract hours can work from home? 

None. And that’s exactly the point. The clear advice at present is that those who can work from home should. Because there are many that can’t. So it’s a slowly slowly process. 
If employers are refusing those that can, then they are dicks, simple as. 

My wife’s job requires her to be there in person. She can’t serve a table if she’s not there. So, if her restaurant is open this weekend then she’ll have to be there. Likelihood is that they won’t be open as they’ve had 500 cancellations yesterday. 

As I said to rumred earlier, I don’t see where the ambiguity is. If you can work from home, you should. 
This reduces the movement of people significantly enough to reduce the risk of spread, slowing it enough for the NHS to be able to cope. It’s all about stemming the flow and gradually introducing harsher and harsher actions, whilst relying on the public to abide by the advice in the meantime. 

Give it a few more days and everything will be shut. No one will be earning any money and the government will need to have an income protection plan in place for ALL workers. 

For now, and prior to the BIG shutdown, people should abide by the advice to try to reduce the case count. 
Loads of people are going to die, whichever way this is handled. And everyone is going to suffer loss of earnings, whichever way this is handled. We are quite literally in a no-win situation. Everyone. 

42 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Entertainer  - Fair to say its panic stations! 

Cheers for that! Checked online and they had some backlash for it being in store only so they are doing limited online sales too with the code BOGOF just bought some birthday presents for my daughter! 

41 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

in travel insurance as it happens (as you can imagine, this is causing that industry a lot of stress!)

Oh I bet, best of luck pal. Hope people understand your just doing your job 

Edited by RUSSEL85

• Admin
2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Just popped on here to see how things are going. Glad to see everyone taking things seriously. 

At the current rate it will take 71 days for the whole population of the world to contract that disease!

Strain in hospitals is expected to peak as soon as schools close. 

Look after your olds. Some of them aren’t going to make it. 

I guess you are busy, my mate in Glos Elderly William is on 12 hour days, 7 days with alternative sat or Sun off.  All leave cancelled until review in June....

I'm self employed and have been told by an organisation that I do a lot of maintenance and upgrade work for that its emergency work only at the moment and yet BCFC still wanted me to commit several hundred pounds yesterday for a season ticket which I didn't do due to the uncertainty and my seat has gone, I've mentioned it before and sorry for mentioning it again but surely they could have extended the seat renewal deadline for a couple of months, very disappointed by the clubs attitude. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

There is an assumption that because footballers earned more over their short careers they are in a position of disposable cash they can spare.

If you have an (say on average) ten year career, you'd not find a lender who is going to give you a 25 year mortgage on your 3 million quid house. You'll be shelling out a fortune on repayments and critical illness cover so that if you career comes to a premature end you aren't homeless, likewise trying to get a suitable pension pot in place for the end of a short career is going to be a stretch.

Yes, there will be some players who can probably afford it, but a lot of players already give strongly to charities.

I don't think it's for players to do anything.

My heart bleeds at the thought of them having to relocate to a house costing less than £3m if they are not doing their job for a protracted period of time.

Those of us with more modestly priced homes also face difficulties if the side-effects of this virus stop us from working as normal. Why should footballers be insulated?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My heart bleeds at the thought of them having to relocate to a house costing less than £3m if they are not doing their job for a protracted period of time.

Those of us with more modestly priced homes also face difficulties if the side-effects of this virus stop us from working as normal. Why should footballers be insulated?

Absolutely they shouldn't.

Never understood the idea that a professional football player only has a short career so it makes them more worthy of their excessive earnings, does the ability to do work stop once a player reaches retirement as a profession football player, funny how players from the past managed to find other work after their playing career ended.

• Like 3

• Admin

From BBC Sport - We may hear more on the proposals tomorrow

Championship clubs are unanimously behind trying to complete the season despite the coronavirus outbreak.

All 24 second-tier clubs held a video conference on Tuesday.

It followed a similar meeting on Monday when the current top six-placed clubs agreed in their desire to play remaining fixtures, a view supported by at least three other clubs.

Leeds United are currently top of the Championship table, a point ahead of West Brom with nine games to play.

• Like 2