IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

48 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

A plus for me is the VAT payment deferment. I had two grand to pay this weekend and Mrs LR`s income has dried up completely with all the markets and craft fairs being cancelled so it was going to be a bit of a pinch - on the up side though, she`s managed to bag a temporary job at the Co-Op for the time being.

Anyone who has been laid off it`s worth looking at the supermarkets - they all need staff urgently and it`s only going to get worse now the schools have closed.

Yes, they said on the news that the supermarkets will need 25,000 new staff! I hope all of you are staying well and will weather the storm, the conditions here are not too bad, being a very small country population wise and Estonians are not well know for their social behaviour anyway, especially the elderly.  On the other hand they are very family oriented and grand parents help their families with child care etc, but at the moment although lot's of cafes and clubs are closed and the Old Town is deserted, everyone seems to be shopping sensibly and after the initial panic buying, especially bog rolls, it seems to have settled down, somewhat. Still we are not being complacent. Take care all OTIB'ers.

Edited by EstoniaTallinnRed
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, RedM said:

Absolutely, but to be honest you have got to need the (probably minimum wage) quite badly as you really will be working front line with little or no protection, not only from the virus but the abuse and rudeness too. 

There are millions that do though sadly. @Olé was talking in a previous post about his office cleaner who had no work as all the offices she cleaned were closing and was on a zero hours contract. He/she will still have rent to pay and get food on the table. There are so many in the country living on the edge like this and it`s them I feel so sorry for - whatever measures are put in place you can bet a lot will miss out/not qualify.

My family are fortunate and won`t starve but there are a lot that might.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting line...clearly the national/global emergency is most important but...

Looks like football and beyond, all the pieces might be thrown back up in the air and land where they might- nobody knows where they will fall again. At least in these times.

I look forward to Bristol Rob's analysis of it in conjunction with contractual law.

Biggest load of tosh I have ever read,contracts are signed for a reason

20 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Biggest load of tosh I have ever read,contracts are signed for a reason

In normal times you'd be right. 

However it's worth looking around for a broader picture. 

Aside from contracted individuals in the regular economy who are taking a hit..?

1) Rugby clubs maybe looking at a 25% cut. London Irish, Wasps and Worcester are three I read.

2) Hearts- all look like, that's players and everyone a 50% cut. 

3) Barnet laid off all staff who were non footballing.

4) Nimes in France have given all- players and staff alike- a 16% wage cut. Maybe a deferral!

5) Borussia Mochengladbach maybe imposing wage cuts. A Borussia Dortmund director will take a wage cut apparently.

6) Ronaldo (along with the rest of Juventus) read something about a cut, maybe 30%.

Hey, better than redundancies to keep the business solvent eh?

40 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

There are millions that do though sadly. @Olé was talking in a previous post about his office cleaner who had no work as all the offices she cleaned were closing and was on a zero hours contract. He/she will still have rent to pay and get food on the table. There are so many in the country living on the edge like this and it`s them I feel so sorry for - whatever measures are put in place you can bet a lot will miss out/not qualify.

My family are fortunate and won`t starve but there are a lot that might.

I understand that, I really do. I didn’t explain properly but I did make a point in response to the cleaner that people were disposable now. I’m appalled at the lack of protection most supermarket workers have, and are expected to work through. The 2m distancing rule is certainly not practiced in shops. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting line...clearly the national/global emergency is most important but...

Looks like football and beyond, all the pieces might be thrown back up in the air and land where they might- nobody knows where they will fall again. At least in these times.

I look forward to Bristol Rob's analysis of it in conjunction with contractual law.

Not that I actually care much about football at the moment, but hopefully, whenever we come out the other side of this hell, maybe, just maybe, we might see a wholesale change of how football operates. 
An idea could be that, hear me out, I know it’s totally revolutionary, but maybe clubs could only spend what they earn. 
Just imagine. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

I understand that, I really do. I didn’t explain properly but I did make a point in response to the cleaner that people were disposable now. I’m appalled at the lack of protection most supermarket workers have, and are expected to work through. The 2m distancing rule is certainly not practiced in shops. 

Agreed.

Trying to think what protective measures can be implemented, two metres for a start. Having said that it's far from the case- as a customer it's hard enough to social distance in a supermarket, so for a shop worker...

Revert to home delivery only? Leaving on the doorstep with online payment- I don't know how, have we the delivery capacity- can the elderly and vulnerable work such a system too?

Rationing?

Masks and gloves?

It's a hard one because if supermarkets are closed...and people can't eat or run out of food society would break down eventually.

On the other hand, the lack of protection for supermarket staff and yeah you can probably add delivery drivers, cleaners and some others to that is not on.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In normal times you'd be right. 

However it's worth looking around for a broader picture. 

Aside from contracted individuals in the regular economy who are taking a hit..?

1) Rugby clubs maybe looking at a 25% cut. London Irish, Wasps and Worcester are three I read.

2) Hearts- all look like, that's players and everyone a 50% cut. 

3) Barnet laid off all staff who were non footballing.

4) Nimes in France have given all- players and staff alike- a 16% wage cut. Maybe a deferral!

5) Borussia Mochengladbach maybe imposing wage cuts. A Borussia Dortmund director will take a wage cut apparently.

6) Ronaldo (along with the rest of Juventus) read something about a cut, maybe 30%.

Hey, better than redundancies to keep the business solvent eh?

In a perfect world yes but we don’t live in a perfect world,regarding the Barnet point you made he spoke well on the radio but made it clear he couldn’t sack the players so staff it had to be 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

If you think about it the shops are most likely a virus heaven. I’m not trying to scare anyone as we all have to eat and drink but these are large areas, little or no fresh air, and the items and surfaces, even the trolleys and baskets touched by numerous people per hour. The aisles can’t be much more than 2m wide so you inevitably come into contact with people just walking around never mind queueing.  

All other mass gatherings have been banned, but hundreds can shop at once. This cannot be safe. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

In a perfect world yes but we don’t live in a perfect world

We shall see...it could come down to redundancy vs say deferral and I'm certain anyone would take the latter.

I'm actually shocked by the figure being cited though..thought it maybe 20% something like that.

Did you read the string of precedents? If a club such as Juventus can cut or defer wages as rumoured for the crisis then Championship clubs certainly can.

We'll see in any case.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We shall see...it could come down to redundancy vs say deferral and I'm certain anyone would take the latter.

I'm actually shocked by the figure being cited though..thought it maybe 20% something like that.

Did you read the string of precedents? If a club such as Juventus can cut or defer wages as rumoured for the crisis then Championship clubs certainly can.

We'll see in any case.

How about Juventus just release Ronaldo from his contract,he will be happy enough so he can earn a fortune elsewhere and the money they have saved on his wages they can put some towards hospital care in the country 

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We'll see in any case.

I did read all of the string of precedents you posted and all were maybe this maybe that,it was let’s be honest weak to say the least

The same people on social media moaning about panic buyers are now out for “1 last night out”

based on the news tonight are we confident the government are pulling through now or is it talked the talk, wait and see if they walk the walk?

It does sound a bit better effort from them, but a little too late in some situations.

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Thank god they’ve shut the pub. Mate of mine just sent me photo of him in a packed pub 

Mate of mine sent me a pic of 5 regulars from my old local out tonight. All with arms around each other's shoulders. so not exactly 2 metres apart!

Two are over 70; two others have heart conditions and my mate is about 8 stone wet through and lives with his 70+ parents.

Er, stupidity like THIS is why they have to close. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The same people on social media moaning about panic buyers are now out for “1 last night out”

based on the news tonight are we confident the government are pulling through now or is it talked the talk, wait and see if they walk the walk?

It does sound a bit better effort from them, but a little too late in some situations.

Is otib not social media because I can assure you I’m not down the pub so that’s a sweeping statement 

35 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I did read all of the string of precedents you posted and all were maybe this maybe that,it was let’s be honest weak to say the least

I'll look at them in more depth. Let's face it we'll all have a bit of  time on our hands!

Barnet. You said owner on Radio talking about it. Intend to listen. 

Juventus thing is uncertain. So is the Bundesliga stuff. 

Hearts. 50% wage cut for all players and none.

London Irish, Worcester, was it Wasps? Sounds confirmed. 

Nimes in France. Perhaps it's some French law but 16% cuts for all staff. 

When solvency of clubs is potentially on the line, drastic steps can be taken. Rightly or otherwise.

It'll vary from club to club but a problem at this level is wages to turnover.

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Some already rammed as usual at this time.

Not sure when pubs will close but its odds on that people will get "one last one in".

Also, I suspect that there'll be some secret locks ins here and there.

An off shoot of this dreadful time for me is that I'm saving a shed load by staying in.

Prohibition didn't stop them in America, people will always find a way.

4 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Looking like a PM in the making.....

Looks like J mat voted Corbyn  judging by the emojis he is handing out to anyone that dares praise the governments handling of the situation, sad really as I think they have gone above and beyond what anyone could have expected.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

Hate to say this? sorry but that doesn't paint you in a very good light there's grudging admiration but hate?

It’s odd isn’t it that even in this day and age people hate other partys and will never change because it’s what they have always known and will vote for a certain party not because of what they are offering but because I will never vote a Tory/Labour government in,hopefully the youth are not as one eyed as us elders

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pillred said:

Hate to say this? sorry but that doesn't paint you in a very good light there's grudging admiration but hate?

I’m not a Tory supporter and certainly not a fan of Boris, but credit where it’s due with the support they’re putting in place today 

• Like 5