IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

I recommend everyone to watch Trump’s press conference just then. Like nothing I’ve ever seen before.  USA first day over 100 deaths. Trump talking about virus in past tense. Says normal flu kills more people.  Says economy is back. Moving on. More people will commit suicide if economy is bad than will die from covid. USA wasn’t built to be shut down apparently. 

9 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Certainly will. Plenty of self employed don't put all their earnings through the books and will now only receive 80% of what they have? 

And so they should.

If anyone doesn't declare all of their earnings to HMRC then they'll lose out, but they gained by not paying their taxes correctly in the first place. 

No sympathy here I'm afraid. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Atalanta vs Valencia probably didn't help either....

https://www.football-italia.net/151489/atalanta-valencia-worsened-coronavirus

Was behind closed doors, the 2nd leg but can't have helped!

At the very least, I recall about 30% of the Valencia squad got it.

OTOH, just read the article and it may have exacerbated the spread more widely- indeed within a week of that first game, Milan had reopened bars etc to normal hours. :doh:

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Gonna be interesting how this one plays out in detail.

Thanks for sharing.

Indeed.

The devil will be in the detail and in the administration of it. 

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no faith that any of the schemes being put in place will be easy to obtain.

Apparently the "business loans" which were launched with a fanfare last week aren't necessarily business loans as banks are asking for personal guarantees - may as well be a personal loan secured on your own home. Not that I qualify for that anyway but it is a signal for how things are.

I'm waiting to see the detail for the business rate relief grants for which I qualify - I'm not holding my breath that they will be grants and, even if they are, I'm certain the bureaucracy will be arduous as local government have been tasked with administering it and they couldn't organise a straightforward piss up in a brewery. 

The self employed/soul trader/freelancer payments should be straightforward as the HMRC have all the returns - but I bet they will take a closer interest in peoples accounts if they apply for these payments. I don't care about that, all above board, but I'm absolutely positive that it will be a drawn out hassle and could lead to people being investigated later on.

Sorry for being negative, and I think the Government have pitched things just right so far, but my experience of past dealings with government agencies leads me to think it will be a huge cock up.

• Like 3

I can only speak of my own experience in France, but I believe the 'lockdown' is working quite well over here.

The lockdown rules are broadly similar (although outlets such as Sports Direct are not considered essential, so have been forced to close!).

Two comments, though:

Firstly, should one wish to leave the house one must fill in and sign a form (on a daily basis) and, after a few days' lenience, the Police have now become much more strict in ensuring people adhere both to the law and to the spirit of the law - they became exasperated by people going shopping several times a day for a few bottles of beer. The lockdown has undoubtedly had some effect on drug dealing, with the effect that some towns have been obliged to enforce curfews and, of course, this has brought about its own tension.

Secondly, there is a fixed system of fines (€135 for a first offence, but rising to €3,750 and even 6 months imprisonment for repeat offenders), which is enforced because, of course, people are obliged to carry official ID papers in France. Good Luck with enforcing your lockdown in the UK - I envisage loads of warnings and requests to disperse, but no real change for weeks.

One further difference, although I am sure there are many, is that our supermarkets are full: due to the lockdown, population movement has obviously decreased, but whenever I have gone shopping since our lockdown commenced, people have waited patiently in the queues to enter the supermarkets (5 minutes max, and 'policed' by polite security guards), so there has been no 'need' to storm through past nurses and OAPs as people know they will find all they want inside - and this includes fresh fish, meat, fruit and vegetables, all delivered daily! 

Be aware, though; be aware and, if not afraid, be very respectful of this virus.

I hope I am wrong, but should people not self-distance you are all going to see some horrific figures.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was behind closed doors, the 2nd leg but can't have helped!

At the very least, I recall about 30% of the Valencia squad got it.

OTOH, just read the article and it may have exacerbated the spread more widely- indeed within a week of that first game, Milan had reopened bars etc to normal hours. :doh:

The second leg was behind closed doors, but the first leg, in Milan, attracted some 40,000 Atalanta supporters, who, of course, hail from Bergamo!

• Thanks 1

Well tonights announcement was inevitable. It was always going to happen. And whilst I agree that this is necessary, it should not be something to be celebrated or cheered. Today is a dark day for personal freedoms and liberty, regardless if it is essential and needed.

I would like to say that people like Piers Morgan has absolutely not helped in the last couple of weeks. I am sure he feels like he is vindicated now, but tonights decision was always going to happen. All he has done is help to create unnecessary panic, and potentially helped create situations like panic buying at supermarkets. I agree about scrutinising the government but the way he went about it was completely wrong. 

Also, after this does subside. The world need to look at China. It is not racist to acknowledge this started in China. And its not the first time. Repercussions need to happen. We cant have a situation where a state is allowing these so called wet markets to exist. Or to have a government like China's that try to suppress the outbreak for as long as it did. As we are seeing now, it is killing innocent people across the world. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I recommend everyone to watch Trump’s press conference just then. Like nothing I’ve ever seen before.  USA first day over 100 deaths. Trump talking about virus in past tense. Says normal flu kills more people.  Says economy is back. Moving on. More people will commit suicide if economy is bad than will die from covid. USA wasn’t built to be shut down apparently. 

He is right about a few of those remarks. Just not PC is it. What a shame.

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

https://www.heathrow.com/arrivals

I can understand flying back Britons from wherever - but all these flights can't be that can they ?

8 hours ago, freezer said:

Why oh why are flights from China, Italy and Iran still allowed to land in this country. 

Absolute madness! 

There are at least 10 million Britons living abroad. Might take a while to fly back that many don't you think?

Evening... Just looking for some advice and anyone in the know. I currently have shared custody of my 2 children but as of today are with their mum. Anyone know where I would stand with collecting them and spending time with them? Me and their mum both live on our own so the kids would only come into contact with us but I’m not sure what the rules are?? Any advice would be appreciated.

The only thing that annoys me with what Johnson has said, is that we should only shop when we need to and infrequently. Use food delivery when we can. Well we already know that delivery is out of the question in many areas. And to suggest to shop so infrequently is literally going to encourage more panic bulk buying, which means a huge influx of a mass of people at supermarkets that will try to bulk buy. This needed to be worded/explained better, or have a better understanding and co-ordination with supermarkets. 

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What you are overlooking here is that zero hours or certain jobs, don't work and don't get paid. 

Plus a proportion of these will be supermarket- necessary, limited number of teachers- necessary, key workers- necessary. 

These are people who cannot, literally cannot take time off work, or work from home for varying reasons..what, exactly, do you suggest?

There is also a saying that society is 9 meals from anarchy. Now I don't know how true that is, but things can start to breakdown- rapidly at that- if people cannot feed themselves let alone their children.

Clearly as many people as possible need to stay at home but short term, how feasible? 

Lastly, Daily Mail said 28 tube stations were shut. That can present a misleading picture.

I agree things need shutting down BUT you're taking a part of the situation in isolation here. More nuanced.

TfL said it was 40, including DLR and overground, and these were mostly stations with no connections to other lines, all interconnecting stations were open. The services were drastically reduced to a train every 15 minutes, where in rush hour they’re approximately usually every two. You’re going to have large amounts of people travelling at the same time, there are hospitals, supermarkets, pharmacies and other vital industries all over London. If the tube is shutdown, they’d have to have special buses but even then they pose a risk too

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, walsh left foot said:

Evening... Just looking for some advice and anyone in the know. I currently have shared custody of my 2 children but as of today are with their mum. Anyone know where I would stand with collecting them and spending time with them? Me and their mum both live on our own so the kids would only come into contact with us but I’m not sure what the rules are?? Any advice would be appreciated.

This one is also causing problems in Spain and last i heard the govt are reviewing it. Sorry....doesnt help you at all but at least you know you arent the only one in this situation. I'd imagine it was simply overlooked and will be added to the "essential" list soon. Good luck fella!

That is a tough one. Would you not all maintain that you are effectively one 'household' and therefore movement between the two homes is a natural thing for all of you? Think of it literally then as one home but different parts of it. This is a humanitarian family issue and I would think if outlined in this way the powers that be would fully accept and support that the welfare of children is paramount. 

Let's not forget, this is not the bubonic plague.

According to BBC website, moving children under 18 between parents homes is included in the allowed measures.

Coronavirus: UK wakes to strict new curbs on life https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52014472

Edited by Stedge

4 hours ago, walsh left foot said:

You can drop children to each other’s house. That’s allowed in the guidelines.