IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 minutes ago, daored said:

He was challenged on the guidance and advised its not on there!! It’s extremely unclear what is and what isn’t allowed on many fronts 

Crazy isn’t it.  More likely he is wrong I guess as lots saying it’s on there and there is Official looking text to back that up. 

I don’t think the guidelines are strong enough and police have no powers it seems. 

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

He is right about a few of those remarks. Just not PC is it. What a shame.

Ignoring the fact, that this has absolutely nothing to do with being PC or not, what do you think he is right on?

Recapping on what @And Its Smith said:

"Trump talking about virus in past tense. Says normal flu kills more people.  Says economy is back. Moving on. More people will commit suicide if economy is bad than will die from covid. USA wasn’t built to be shut down apparently. "

1) The virus is increasing in America (and indeed the world). It is not in the past tense.

2) It has killed more people over time because this is a new disease but the evidence so far suggests this is both more contagious and has a higher mortality rate over time. Normal flu has killed more people as it has had more time to do so. This is more deadly than flu.

3) Some analysts believe the US stock market might recover if a recovery package is announced and there are a few early signs of reasons for positivity after one of the biggest stock market crashes in history but the economy is in no way "back".

4) You can't really say the economy is moving on at this point.

5) It is likely an economic crash will cause suicides. It is far from clear how many people will die from COVID-19 at the moment but fivethirtyeight found the average consensus amongst epedemiologists was 200, 000 US deaths. It is hard to know how that will compare with the suicide rate.

6) The US is not an exception here. No country was built to be shut down but it not clear how the US could cope with an overwhelmed health service if they do not enact these measures.

So where do you actually think he is right?

12 hours ago, pillred said:

It's advisory surely?

Surely it’s quite clear by now this ISNT advisory, its government orders. You play with your own health by all means but if someone at risk doesn’t care about catching it but then ends up in hospital is taking a bed from someone else. Why take the risk ffs

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This isn’t a subject for Levity.

But Edwina Currie having no idea is very, very funny:

I’m fairly sure she knew it wasn’t real

11 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Excluding funerals...

That's handy

I’m grateful for this, still not sure I should be travelling across the country next Wednesday for a funeral, but I missed my last chance to see my Nan due to this virus, not sure I could miss the funeral.

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Trades are supposed to stop, unless it’s essential work, simple as.

During that time the government will cover 80% of wages for employers to help prevent redundancies.

That’s not what Michael Gove has just said, this isn’t clear from the government.

8 hours ago, QuedgeRed said:

As reported by The Sun online

88961674-7D8F-423C-AFA1-8F10ADC8CA36.thumb.jpeg.be3022013e5371ead7aad681e047b1e3.jpeg

Where are the Sun getting this? They’ve made this up as far as I can see.

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

6E21872D-997B-4349-88E1-4D2812F4C8A6.png

Promising news but can’t find that original tweet now, only one I found says a proposal.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Michael Gove just said the opposite!

I honestly mean no offence to Gove here but these are new and complex guidelines drawn in the last 24 hours. Not every minister will be fully briefed on them and remember every detail in an interview. Don't forget the Chancellor announced shops were closed in error last week in the announcement around the pubs.

I'd trust the official guidance on gov.uk websites over what ministers say in interviews as there will be points when they get confused. 

9 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.aea81e66656d12e255ebc35241526d26.jpeg

London this morning. Speechless 

People have to go to work, there’s many hospitals, police stations, pharmacies, vital industries in London. I don’t expect they’re doing it for a laugh. The frequency of trains has been reduced dramatically, there will be an increase of people on each train even though the actual numbers of people have fallen

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

People have to go to work, there’s many hospitals, police stations, pharmacies, vital industries in London. I don’t expect they’re doing it for a laugh. The frequency of trains has been reduced dramatically, there will be an increase of people on each train even though the actual numbers of people have fallen

Don’t think many are blaming the people themselves 

A nation wakes up and wonders.... “am I meant to be going to work or not?”

No doubt there’s further announcements tonight, giving headlines but no details, and the details for last nights announcement will be released at some obscure time in the middle of the night. It’s basically the opposite of good communication.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Good night rich boy 

You have had a lot to say over night, alas you didn't really say anything bar Me me me me me me what about me!

**** me you're a whiny little ***, hardship because you were not put first, you probably don't have a clue what real hardship is, there are people out there doing their best to keep people alive whilst risking their own lives and whilst having to spend time away from their own families.

There are also people working so selfish muppets  like you can get served their shopping and doing that while on low wages, no one is going to starve, no one is going to be evicted have their electricity or gas cut off, if you can't get food because you have no money their are people out there working to supply those that are struggling via food banks.

Many people are alone and scared, many have no one, but you know what,  we get on with it, we pull our purse strings in, cut back on our food intake and waste nothing and we isolate,  and you whine about losing some money.

Then to top it all you hope somone sneezes on someones dinner, really! 

About time you grew up.

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Partly true, but there are other forms of transport available in London. Plus I would guess, and only a guess, that not everyone on there has to be on that tube. It’s a London mentality, no one wants to back down as they believe they are the most important.

London cabbies are struggling at the moment so use them!

19 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Partly true, but there are other forms of transport available in London. Plus I would guess, and only a guess, that not everyone on there has to be on that tube. It’s a London mentality, no one wants to back down as they believe they are the most important.

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Yes but it also depends where you have to get to. Not everyone can afford a taxi at £50 a day across London.
I can’t seriously imagine people would put their life in peril because of arrogance. There’s just a lot of businesses in and around London. There may be people who haven’t had it confirmed to work at home yet 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes but it also depends where you have to get to. Not everyone can afford a taxi at £50 a day across London.
I can’t seriously imagine people would put their life in peril because of arrogance. There’s just a lot of businesses in and around London. There may be people who haven’t had it confirmed to work at home yet 

Granted. But surely instead of cutting tube services they should be putting more on so people can keep their distance. Not all cram into trains like that . London is in big trouble 

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Granted. But surely instead of cutting tube services they should be putting more on so people can keep their distance. Not all cram into trains like that . London is in big trouble 

Yes, reducing the frequency wasn’t a good idea, they used to be every two minutes

• Like 2

Where I live, Merseyrail have cut the number of trains per hour on each line from 4 to 2, however they've doubled train lengths from 3 carriages to 6 by joining units together so there's no loss of seats. 

I know not every operator can do that, especially on the Tube, but people having to cram on to fewer services defeats the object completely.

• Like 2