IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, paul_fox said:

Very unclear. Will be a total lockdown by Friday 

Won't happen now, they had one chance of this and the general public are confused at the moment. Once they say LOCK DOWN people will say you changed the rules last time so I am not listening. 

We was warned by other countries that people will only listen once and IMO (not any one elses) this will backfire. 

I'm in heavy goods construction and can tell you that, not if any has cancelled their deliveries today.  

Just had confirmation that it isn't the young that won't heed advice. Although retired I have a business selling pre-owned Mobility Scooters. Just had an elderly customer on the phone with a problem with his. Wanted to bring it up to me to look at. Told him couldn't see him due to the new rules. He hasn't been watching the TV and got quite irate about it !! Said the Golf Club was open yesterday but as I told him, that was yesterday. Then said he must get it sorted as he wants to get out and about and play golf. Incredible

Edited by oldstandrobin
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, RedRock said:

One of many issues, that we’ve all got to untangle, sick, dependent parents et al but anyone know of recommendations for dealing with shared access children? 

Would love to say that my partner’s daughter could sort it amicably with her ex but I don’t think that’s going to happen! Assume they’ve got to go to one side or the other for a period. Makes sense. ...but common sense goes out the window between warring factions ..even as I say if this is potentially a matter of life and death! 

Partner’s daughter was going to complete on her new house purchase next week ...don’t think it’s going to happen! Shite timing. 

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but the government has confirmed that such children CAN visit each parent. On BBC live updates at 9.06, and Michael Gove on Twitter. Hope your partner’s daughter can sort this out amicably for the sake of everyone involved.

• Like 1

• Admin
30 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Just had confirmation that it isn't the young that won't heed advice. Although retired I have a business selling pre-owned Mobility Scooters. Just had an elderly customer on the phone with a problem with his. Wanted to bring it up to me to look at. Told him couldn't see him due to the new rules. He hasn't been watching the TV and got quite irate about it !! Said the Golf Club was open yesterday but as I told him, that was yesterday. Then said he must get it sorted as he wants to get out and about and play golf. Incredible

On another forum a guy who is retired has said he's off out to do non essential voluntary work - totalling breaking the rules, he has been advised, cajoled and people have been down right blunt with him and he still thinks he should go because the treasurer of the club told him to... his wife is in poor health.  Some people are either so thick or have so little comprehension of what is going on, I despair.  

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Anyone else had this text this morning?

Screenshot_20200324-092352.jpg

Yes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

No age group has a monopoly on stupidity/selfishness.

My grandmother is still adamant that she’ll go out whenever she wants. My mum and my uncle are trying to make her listen, but they’ve got no chance.

Yesterday I had to go out for milk. I saw a large group of teenagers playing basketball together.

People just don’t listen.

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Indeed.

The devil will be in the detail and in the administration of it. 

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no faith that any of the schemes being put in place will be easy to obtain.

Apparently the "business loans" which were launched with a fanfare last week aren't necessarily business loans as banks are asking for personal guarantees - may as well be a personal loan secured on your own home. Not that I qualify for that anyway but it is a signal for how things are.

interesting because I thought government were securing 80% of the amount???

I'm waiting to see the detail for the business rate relief grants for which I qualify - I'm not holding my breath that they will be grants and, even if they are, I'm certain the bureaucracy will be arduous as local government have been tasked with administering it and they couldn't organise a straightforward piss up in a brewery. 

The self employed/soul trader/freelancer payments should be straightforward as the HMRC have all the returns - but I bet they will take a closer interest in peoples accounts if they apply for these payments. I don't care about that, all above board, but I'm absolutely positive that it will be a drawn out hassle and could lead to people being investigated later on.

I think contractors like me with 1 or 2 director limited company set-ups are gonna fall between the gaps.  We aren’t classed as employees in the majority of cases.  I’m not moaning per se, because there are lots of people who need the money more than I do.

Sorry for being negative, and I think the Government have pitched things just right so far, but my experience of past dealings with government agencies leads me to think it will be a huge cock up.

5 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

No age group has a monopoly on stupidity/selfishness.

My grandmother is still adamant that she’ll go out whenever she wants. My mum and my uncle are trying to make her listen, but they’ve got no chance.

Yesterday I had to go out for milk. I saw a large group of teenagers playing basketball together.

guess they were playing zone defence to keep their distance rather than man-to-man ?

People just don’t listen.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Surely it’s quite clear by now this ISNT advisory, its government orders. You play with your own health by all means but if someone at risk doesn’t care about catching it but then ends up in hospital is taking a bed from someone else. Why take the risk ffs

I’m fairly sure she knew it wasn’t real

I’m grateful for this, still not sure I should be travelling across the country next Wednesday for a funeral, but I missed my last chance to see my Nan due to this virus, not sure I could miss the funeral.

That’s not what Michael Gove has just said, this isn’t clear from the government.

Where are the Sun getting this? They’ve made this up as far as I can see.

Promising news but can’t find that original tweet now, only one I found says a proposal.

It IS advisory whatever you might think, at the moment there is no law which states if you are an at risk patient you are forbidden to leave your house read it again.

12 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Be careful with that, as there are a lot of scammers about. But if you have a GOV.UK gateway account you it may be legit but I have not received anything like this. 

All mobile operators will be sending this message out today at some point.

You’re absolutely right about being extremely careful of logging into anything from a link in a text message. The panic in people is something scammers are preying on.

12 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

All mobile operators will be sending this message out today at some point.

You’re absolutely right about being extremely careful of logging into anything from a link in a text message. The panic in people is something scammers are preying on.

Yep just got mine now. 

Ignore what the fat man said earlier, I was talking out my arse 

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

Do you, for a bit of a laugh, offer a lifetime guarantee on your work to customers who look really frail?

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Super said:

Hopefully some slightly positive news from Germany

The head of Germany's public health institute has said there are signs the exponential upwards curve in new coronavirus infections in the country is flattening off for the first time.

Lothar Wieler, head of the Robert Koch Institute added it was a result of social distancing measures.

He said: "We are seeing signs that the exponential growth curve is flattening off slightly.

"But I will only be able to confirm this trend definitively on Wednesday."

He added he was optimistic that measures taken so far in Germany, including school closures, instructions on hand-washing and strict warnings against public gatherings, were already having an effect.

Trouble with Germany is they aren’t reporting all cases.

Was discussed on news last night, if someone dies in hospital we do a post-mortem and if they have Covid 19 we report it in the figures.

Germany are not reporting how people died/doing post mortem so there figures are very low due to it. 

It appears different counties are reporting differently so numbers are everywhere.

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That;s made me laugh when I know it really shouldn't! 

Well, there is no football to bet on, what better than the inaugural pensioner grand prix!

One lap of the precinct, a blue rinse pit stop and first to collect their pension is the victor.

Title winner gets a hip replacement.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Where I live, Merseyrail have cut the number of trains per hour on each line from 4 to 2, however they've doubled train lengths from 3 carriages to 6 by joining units together so there's no loss of seats. 

I know not every operator can do that, especially on the Tube, but people having to cram on to fewer services defeats the object completely.

Yes some platforms are too short as it is eg Baker Street. 

plus on another note media offices will be open, itv, bbc, sky etc. Sky is in Osterley near Brentford, it’s a huge campus with 1000s of employee’s, including IT people, journalists, back room staff, designers, tv people, cleaners, admin etc. It’s miles away from most of their employees and those can’t all work from home

Comes as no surprise that 'Spoons are hiding behind 'details' and couldn't care less about their staff.

Their owner has some very peculiar traits - for example, why would the majority share holder of a publicly list company be so vocal about a referendum that was clearly splitting the nation? Have a view by all means, but keep it to yourself. For every new customer he attracts he will likely lost one, as well as spooking investors.