IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It might have been that they tested more widely and therefore detected and counted more "mild" cases that have gone un-noticed by officialdom here.

I have a friend self-isolating in Redland. She has all the Covid symptoms, but has not been tested as she's young and not in a near-critical condition.

I really hope that is the case, I do find it supprising that this far in the only test results we seem to hear about are those with serious symptoms and celebraties.

Hope you friend stays safe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I expect a few did the same, I don't care if he wants to shout his mouth off about Politics as it is no different than others shouting about remaining. But he is making a choice that will alienate half of his customers, who in turn may not go back, although he may get some new customers go into his pubs because he was shouting about leaving though?

Regardless of that, he comes across a complete self centred ****, and he will lose more customers due to his latest decision.

I could only imagine having his much money and business, and I would wonder what good I could do (and get some great press along the way). Pay your staff for starters, and then setup some sort of service for the vulnerable for food/drink/medication etc.

How does someone with his wealth manage to qualify for grants in the first place, surely he should exhaust some of his own wealth first? I know these are unprecedented times but surely he shouldn't be allowed to claim the same as someone who is struggling to survive? If you get a payout for redundancy you don't qualify for benefits do you? Or is it different because of where we are at the moment?

I couldn't agree more with your post, WR.

In the case of 'Spoons, what I found unacceptable was not that the owner was interviewed on telly and gave his political opinions: he can believe what he likes.  I objected to one-sided propaganda being set out on beermats and pamphlets left on tables in his boozers. It's a sort of insidious political advertising that should not be allowed.

It was an easy boycott to maintain, as I never liked the places anyway. It meant I missed my darts' team Christmas Party, but so be it. They knew my feelings, but felt cheap, flat beer was more important.

Now, with his awful treatment of employees, I suspect more than just Remainers might be boycotting his sticky carpeted establishments, once they re-open.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

How are Germany keeping the fatality rate so much lower than everyone else?

Germany introduced strong social distancing measures the second there was evidence of the potential for widespread transmission and, I think, have tested more than we have. Therefore they know who has got it and have moved as quickly as possible to stop it becoming serious. Time will tell, of course, but they may end up being the most effective country in Europe at tacking the virus.

I think a huge psychological factor might also be the public's approach to catastrophe. Britain has not been invaded since 1066 or suffered a major social upheaval or catastrophe on British soil since 1665. As such, I think we have a certain complacency that everything always works out for the best that has made us slow to react. Germany has a lot of experience of catastrophe and widespread change happening quickly and I think they are a bit better at other countries - such as us and the United States - for preparing for the fact that things sometime go very wrong, very fast and acting accordingly. 

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

In the case of 'Spoons, what I found unacceptable was not that the owner was interviewed on telly and gave his political opinions: he can believe what he likes.  I objected to one-sided propaganda being set out on beermats and pamphlets left on tables in his boozers. It's a sort of insidious political advertising that should not be allowed.

It was an easy boycott to maintain, as I never liked the places anyway. It meant I missed my darts' team Christmas Party, but so be it. They knew my feelings, but felt cheap, flat beer was more important.

Now, with his awful treatment of employees, I suspect more than just Remainers might be boycotting his sticky carpeted establishments, once they re-open.

I agree even though I voted leave.

I didn't like the relentless propaganda at all and I didn't like the under staffing to save a few quid with young kids doing 3 jobs at once and getting paid buttons to do it. So I gave his joints a swerve and have only ever used them as a meeting point - literally one drink and out, and now even that is out of the question.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Maybe this situation is the purge society needs. We all stay in, let the likes of Chris go walkabout, we can clean up the mess in a month or so.

To be honest, I've exercised more and drunk less than at any time in the last 25 years. 

A new slimline Robbo is emerging and Mrs R is definitely keen. Which also helps with passing the time. ;)

What surprises me is I'm not missing the pub much at all. I keep in messenger contact with good friends and family. That's fine for now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

A beermat on a table in a pub! That's a rarity these days, there usually locked away in cupboards. 

As for the Vile man himself he's probably counting the cost of his beer going off. Wetherspoons rely on rapid turnover of product as they buy the equivalent of wine bin-ends. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It might have been that they tested more widely and therefore detected and counted more "mild" cases that have gone un-noticed by officialdom here.

I have a friend self-isolating in Redland. She has all the Covid symptoms, but has not been tested as she's young and not in a near-critical condition.

They have tested over 200k people and there are some scientists who believe that amount of testing coupled with the way in which they are recording cause of deaths (where the virus may or may not have been attributable), gives a closer sense of reality than that of the Italian situation.

The average age of contamination in Germany is 46 while in Italy it is 63 which is another factor which should be taken into account when looking at comparisons.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-is-the-coronavirus-mortality-rate-so-much-lower-in-germany-

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

I really hope that is the case, I do find it supprising that this far in the only test results we seem to hear about are those with serious symptoms and celebraties.

Hope you friend stays safe.

There death figures don’t include Post Mortem results. 
If they say your in for a heart problem and die they don’t check for Covid 19.

Other countries do test, which is why figures around the world are so confusing/don’t make sense.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It doesn’t matter if business is essential or not. Can order pretty much anything on line and it will be delivered

He means they are fitting them Friday not just delivering (I think)

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It doesn’t matter if business is essential or not. Can order pretty much anything on line and it will be delivered

At the moment yes, guessing big strain on warehouses that require human pickers and delivery drivers so may be restricted in future...

41 minutes ago, daored said:

Still unsure what is essential business , we ordered blinds to be fitted on Friday. Call received today to confirm time slot ! Is blind fitting essential ?

If they have to enter your house other than an emergency then no they are not allowed to do so. 

If you have an electrical wiring problem or emergency plumbing repair then no one other than family members already living in your house are supposed to enter. Toad Face Gove even said sky can not come out to repair your sky box. Well if that goes down there will be an emergency when the kids find out no tv.    

28 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

If they have to enter your house other than an emergency then no they are not allowed to do so. 

If you have an electrical wiring problem or emergency plumbing repair then no one other than family members already living in your house are supposed to enter. Toad Face Gove even said sky can not come out to repair your sky box. Well if that goes down there will be an emergency when the kids find out no tv.    

I saw a bargain booze open this morning. There's virgin guys laying cables near mine which isn't essential 

4 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I saw a bargain booze open this morning. There's virgin guys laying cables near mine which isn't essential 

Yes its a load of b**locks, every other company has complete lock downs but us Brits just close the clothes stores. They even said we can go out shopping but what is there in place for the horders to go once unload and go again. 

1 hour ago, Crackers Corner said:

How are Germany keeping the fatality rate so much lower than everyone else?

Here is the background to your question:-

the latest figures from the Robert Koch Institute show that the country has a case fatality rate (CFR) of 0.3 per cent, while the World Health Organisation (WHO) figures from Italy seem to show a CFR of 9 per cent? To say there is a vast gulf between those figures is an understatement. If nine per cent of people who catch Covid-19 are going to die from it we are facing a calamity beyond parallel in the modern world. If only 0.3 per cent of people who catch it die from it, this pandemic may yet turn out to be no worse than seasonal flu which it is estimated, by the US Centers for Disease Control, to kill between 291,000 and 646,000 people a year without the world really noticing. According to John Hopkins University, which is collating fatalities data, 15,308 have died to date.

and the probable reason...

So which is closer to the real situation, Italy’s experience or Germany’s? Various theories have been put forward for Germany’s low death rate: for example that many of those who have tested positive for Covid-19 are young people who had returned from skiing holidays in Italy. The age profile for those who have tested positive in Germany is certainly much lower than in Italy: a median of 46-years-old as opposed to 63 in Italy. Some have expressed the fear that young German skiers will slowly infect their parents and grandparents’ generation, and that the death rate will steadily rise as the disease works its way through more vulnerable elderly people.

Germany is almost certainly behind Italy in this epidemic. But the main difference between Germany and Italy lies in those countries’ respective attitudes towards testing. Germany has carried out far more enthusiastic testing of the general population – there does not seem to be a central figure for this, but the German Doctors’ Association has estimated that 200,000 people across the country have been tested. In Britain, it is 64,000 people. On the other hand, German hospitals do not routinely test for the presence of coronavirus in patients who are dying or who have died of other diseases. Italy, by contrast, is performing posthumous coronavirus tests on patients whose deaths might otherwise have been attributed to other causes.

This matters hugely to the Case Fatality Rate for each country. CFR is not to be confused with the genuine Mortality Rate. The former is simply the number of deaths divided by the number of recorded cases. The latter is the number of deaths divided by the actual number of people who have been infected by the disease. Trouble is, nobody knows the latter figure because no country has tested its entire population to see who has or has had the disease. What we do know is that large numbers of people who have been confirmed as having the disease only have mild symptoms – 45 per cent according to Italy’s National Institute for Health. One in 10 have no symptoms at all. There must be many others who have been infected but haven’t been tested and therefore who do now show up as confirmed cases.

It stands to reason that the more people who are tested, the more accurate a picture we will have of the mortality rate, the transmission rate and other metrics which will determine the eventual path of this pandemic. To underline the uncertainties behind the data from which policy is currently being made, the Royal Society of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine the other day estimated the number of people in Britain who already have or have had Covid-19 at between 6,000 and 23 million. That is a pretty broad spread with hugely different implications. If only 6,000 have the disease in Britain, socially-distancing the population or locking down society might have a purpose. If 23 million have the disease, it is pointless – it already has ripped its way through the population but without killing more than a tiny percentage.

What we really need is a huge effort to test a large randomised sample of the population to see how widespread the infection is. Hopefully, that will soon happen. But in the meantime, I am minded to think that the more accurate picture of Covid-19 comes from the country which has conducted the most tests: Germany.

In summary, and what I have said from early on, the ultimate death rate will be no more than 0.5% of those who contract it or, in the case of current data from Germany, even less. Still a ways to go but all the data, reliably being gathered, is pointing toward that. Flu, remember, is about 0.1%. The burning question then will be has it been worth it trashing the world's economies. The answer will probably be 'did we have any choice' ? But that will leave us with a thousand lessons to learn, worldwide, and hopefully next time, because there will for sure be others, the whole world will not need to shut down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Priorities given to key businesses for fault repair, and even then only if a guaranteed 2m can be assured. It’s at the engineers discretion, if they don’t feel safe entering a building their managers will fully support them not attending. 

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

B&Q etc can stay open but will only be allowed to sell "essential" items, whatever that means. Most stores closed today whilst they get confirmation of what they can and can't do.

At a guess stuff to do repairs rather than ‘makeovers’. 

6 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Well, wherever they got it from the BBC did too.

The same list is on their website.

I haven't looked but I expect it is on the government website - also known as the OS ?

I'm wrong, sorry as someone else pointed out they've just summarised what was on the Gov site that I hadn't seen! Must admit I switched off a bit last night after the announcement to wind down

6 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

No tennis on the allowed list @Lew - T ? 

YOu can if you play by yourself ?