IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

• Admin
56 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

UK fatalities up 87 to 422 today.

Big jump and very sad but not as bad as I thought it might be given the trajectory of other countries.

Out of interest I just had a quick look at the death rate per day in the UK, for the last 100 years it's averaged 1450 per day, I wonder how significant this figure is in the overall picture. (obviously significant for those that died), but in a statistical view, could this just be a blip in years to come?

14 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Out of interest I just had a quick look at the death rate per day in the UK, for the last 100 years it's averaged 1450 per day, I wonder how significant this figure is in the overall picture. (obviously significant for those that died), but in a statistical view, could this just be a blip in years to come?

It certainly could but so far the evidence suggests there is reasons that it could not.

Deaths have so far been increasing an average of 30% a day. Today we had 87 deaths, up on 54 yesterday, which is actually a bigger jump than that.

The next week will tell quite a lot. If we get 30% rises each day again, we will be up to around 390 deaths a day. At that point it clearly goes beyond the blip. It all depends on how it increases. 

27 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

I went to one earlier that was operating a system of only 4 customers allowed in at a time, was in East London though 

19 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Most have closed,only a few will be doing deliveries 

Thanks chaps. We live in the middle of nowhere so didn`t want to drive eight miles just to find out they`re shut. I`ll assume they are I think.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

New cases have gone down 2 days in a row maybe a glimmer. Hopefully anyway

4,789 new cases yesterday. 
5,239 new cases today. 
They’ve increased today by 450. 
Unless the site I’m using is wrong, they’re not coming down. 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

5,239 new cases today. 

I just heard on bbc news. Maybe they are wrong then.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

5,239 new cases today. 

Pasted from BBC just now.

Posted at 18:03

Italy looks closely at infection rates

For the third day in a row, the infection rate here is slowing.

Some 54,030 people in Italy are confirmed to have coronavirus – that’s an increase of just over 7% on Monday's figures. It’s the slowest rise since the outbreak began and is now starting to look like a downward trend in new infections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In other news, it seems the Government have taken back the railways from the franchisees;

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2020/03/meanwhile-while-you-were-distracted-by-other-events-the-government-has-nationalised-the-railways.html

May be old news but I didn't realise it had gone that far - about time though.

• Like 1

'Confused, dangerous, flippant': rest of world pans PM's handling of coronavirus

The international verdict on Boris Johnson and his zigzag handling of the pandemic has been damning, with responses ranging from bafflement and disbelief to anger.

Many consider the prime minister’s initial laissez-faire approach to the crisis, followed by contradictory signals about his government’s strategy, as an inexplicable bout of British exceptionalism.

“Boris Johnson had gone out publicly and essentially asked Britons ... to accept death,” said the Greek newspaper Ethnos. It declared him “more dangerous than coronavirus”.

On Sunday, Singapore’s national development minister, Lawrence Wong, said the UK and Switzerland had “abandoned any measure to contain or restrain the virus”.

The New York Times accused Johnson of sowing confusion. “He has seemed like a leader acting under duress ... playing catch-up to a private sector that had already acted on its own.”

Politicians, scientists and commentators greeted the prime minister’s U-turn on Monday night, when he ordered a UK-wide lockdown, as a belated but welcome decision to join the rest of Europe, and much of the world, in a necessary strategy.

The mystery is why it took so long.

Last week Ireland, which shares a land border with the UK, struggled to understand Downing Street’s hesitation. “Boris Johnson is gambling with the health of his citizens,” said the Irish Times.

On Tuesday, after the prime minister’s sudden reversal, one official in Dublin expressed relief. “The Brits were doing their own thing and it looked like we were going to have to live with it. They got there in the end.”

It was a variation of an observation attributed to Winston Churchill about America doing the right thing after exhausting all other options.

Foreign observers had become accustomed to Johnson’s breezy pronouncements on Britain steering its own course during Brexit showdowns last year but they winced at hearing the same tone in the context of a global health emergency.

He appeared at press conferences alongside the chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, and the chief scientific adviser, Patrick Vallance, but instead of reassurance Vallance caused consternation by appearing to endorse the idea of allowing much of the population to become infected to develop “herd immunity”.

Last week the prime minister made an initial concession to physical distancing – a key tactic to slow contagion – by asking people to avoid pubs. But he did not close them and many people, including his own father, Stanley, cheerily said they still planned to go out for a drink. Nevertheless, Johnson expressed confidence such limited measures were working and could “turn the tide” within 12 weeks.

Many outsiders were aghast. The pandemic was out of control in Italy and Spain, killing thousands, and surging across the globe, prompting a scramble to emulate Chinese-style lockdowns.

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, reportedly threatened to close France’s border with Britain last Friday if it did not intensify measures.

Others worried about the fate of friends and relatives in Britain. Giorgio Gori, the mayor of Bergamo, the city hardest hit by Italy’s coronavirus outbreak, flew his two daughters out of the UK, deeming them safer at home.

“When I saw what the English government was thinking about this problem, I decided to bring them back, because I think that even if we are at the centre of the epidemic, probably they are more secure here than in England, because I don’t understand why the government didn’t decide in time to protect their citizens,” he told Sky News.

Greece, an early adopter of draconian measures, also became alarmed. It has one of the largest overseas student communities in the UK, much of which has been repatriated and ordered into a 14-day quarantine. Athens suspended all flights to Britain on Monday until 15 April.

Not everyone lamented the UK’s foot-dragging.

On Monday, before Johnson’s U-turn, a son of Brazil’s president, Jair Bolsonaro, defended his father’s much-criticised response to the pandemic by citing Johnson.

Eduardo Bolsonaro tweeted a 22 March video of Johnson encouraging British citizens to use local parks. “Coronavirus is very serious but the country cannot stop,” he said. “The British prime minister advised his people to take exercise in public parks.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/confused-dangerous-flippant-worlds-media-pans-pms-handling-of-coronavirus-boris-johnson

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, QuedgeRed said:

I don’t think I have this wrong.

Italy were on 463, 14 days in front.

Unfortunately we’re not that far behind.

On 10th march 14 days ago Italy had 631 deaths so a lot more than us at the same stage. our number increased 87 from yesterday the previous days figure in Italy 9th March was 168 lower so their increase was nearly twice ours we are no longer on the same trajectory it seems.

Edited by pillred
Add comments

• Admin
46 minutes ago, Stortz said:

'Confused, dangerous, flippant': rest of world pans PM's handling of coronavirus

The international verdict on Boris Johnson and his zigzag handling of the pandemic has been damning, with responses ranging from bafflement and disbelief to anger.

Many consider the prime minister’s initial laissez-faire approach to the crisis, followed by contradictory signals about his government’s strategy, as an inexplicable bout of British exceptionalism.

“Boris Johnson had gone out publicly and essentially asked Britons ... to accept death,” said the Greek newspaper Ethnos. It declared him “more dangerous than coronavirus”.

On Sunday, Singapore’s national development minister, Lawrence Wong, said the UK and Switzerland had “abandoned any measure to contain or restrain the virus”.

The New York Times accused Johnson of sowing confusion. “He has seemed like a leader acting under duress ... playing catch-up to a private sector that had already acted on its own.”

Politicians, scientists and commentators greeted the prime minister’s U-turn on Monday night, when he ordered a UK-wide lockdown, as a belated but welcome decision to join the rest of Europe, and much of the world, in a necessary strategy.

Last week Ireland, which shares a land border with the UK, struggled to understand Downing Street’s hesitation. “Boris Johnson is gambling with the health of his citizens,” said the Irish Times.

On Tuesday, after the prime minister’s sudden reversal, one official in Dublin expressed relief. “The Brits were doing their own thing and it looked like we were going to have to live with it. They got there in the end.”

It was a variation of an observation attributed to Winston Churchill about America doing the right thing after exhausting all other options.

Foreign observers had become accustomed to Johnson’s breezy pronouncements on Britain steering its own course during Brexit showdowns last year but they winced at hearing the same tone in the context of a global health emergency.

He appeared at press conferences alongside the chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, and the chief scientific adviser, Patrick Vallance, but instead of reassurance Vallance caused consternation by appearing to endorse the idea of allowing much of the population to become infected to develop “herd immunity”.

Last week the prime minister made an initial concession to physical distancing – a key tactic to slow contagion – by asking people to avoid pubs. But he did not close them and many people, including his own father, Stanley, cheerily said they still planned to go out for a drink. Nevertheless, Johnson expressed confidence such limited measures were working and could “turn the tide” within 12 weeks.

Many outsiders were aghast. The pandemic was out of control in Italy and Spain, killing thousands, and surging across the globe, prompting a scramble to emulate Chinese-style lockdowns.

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, reportedly threatened to close France’s border with Britain last Friday if it did not intensify measures.

Others worried about the fate of friends and relatives in Britain. Giorgio Gori, the mayor of Bergamo, the city hardest hit by Italy’s coronavirus outbreak, flew his two daughters out of the UK, deeming them safer at home.

“When I saw what the English government was thinking about this problem, I decided to bring them back, because I think that even if we are at the centre of the epidemic, probably they are more secure here than in England, because I don’t understand why the government didn’t decide in time to protect their citizens,” he told Sky News.

Greece, an early adopter of draconian measures, also became alarmed. It has one of the largest overseas student communities in the UK, much of which has been repatriated and ordered into a 14-day quarantine. Athens suspended all flights to Britain on Monday until 15 April.

On Monday, before Johnson’s U-turn, a son of Brazil’s president, Jair Bolsonaro, defended his father’s much-criticised response to the pandemic by citing Johnson.

Eduardo Bolsonaro tweeted a 22 March video of Johnson encouraging British citizens to use local parks. “Coronavirus is very serious but the country cannot stop,” he said. “The British prime minister advised his people to take exercise in public parks.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/confused-dangerous-flippant-worlds-media-pans-pms-handling-of-coronavirus-boris-johnson

image.png

Oh the irony......

48 minutes ago, Stortz said:

The Guardian can do one

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, wood_red said:

A very fair bit of in depth journalism there.......

It's not going to win any Pulitzer Prizes for sure, but it links to sources and is full of direct quotes.

Could you provide an article with sources from around the world arguing what a fantastic job he's done?