IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

35 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

With respect, you are the one being a little naive. And yes, people paying for extensions in tens of thousands of cash still happens. In fact buying properties in cash also still happens.

In my experience the majority of tradespeople such as plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc will either except cash if offered to them or will suggest cash to bring down the price of a job. We all know it goes on and sorry if it tars them all with the same brush but that's just the way it is, let's not pretend otherwise. 

As the posters above have pointed out, you are perfectly within your rights to turn down any offers of cash, or set up a ltd company and do it all properly (not that that stops people employed or companies or through companies they own accepting cash.

How does anyone pay for a house in cash? They would get reported instantly and the Inland Revenue will be straight on them. You would struggle to buy a car for cash nowadays.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don't think the 'essential / non essential' phrase was actually used in relation to the workplace Winterbourne. Didn't Boris say travel to work was currently allowed unless you can work from home? All very ambiguous but I'm pretty sure we'll be in total lockdown very soon anyway.

My employer has just issued us all with a 'key worker' document, countersigned by some NHS bigwig so we can keep working. If the NHS are issuing these now, I would imagine they know something we don't and full lockdown is close. 

As for the 80% thing, I would guess it's down to the employer to pay employees 80% and then apply for recompense from the government but that's purely a guess. 

Stay safe everyone. 

Thanks for the reply, 

Maybe something will be done in today’s update.

Stay safe everyone

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

There's a couple that could be suspect for opening in that area.

Strong early doors trade from tradesmen.

i expected the lamb to try it but walked past last night, curtains open and nobody in there at all. I would hope the billy has done the same, I'll take my daily exercise stroll past it this evening and take a look. Everywhere else around here is closed AFAIK.

The Butchers always did a roaring early trade but it's firmly locked up.

Edited by Ska Junkie

54 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

With respect, you are the one being a little naive. And yes, people paying for extensions in tens of thousands of cash still happens. In fact buying properties in cash also still happens.

In my experience the majority of tradespeople such as plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc will either except cash if offered to them or will suggest cash to bring down the price of a job. We all know it goes on and sorry if it tars them all with the same brush but that's just the way it is, let's not pretend otherwise. 

As the posters above have pointed out, you are perfectly within your rights to turn down any offers of cash, or set up a ltd company and do it all properly (not that that stops people employed or companies or through companies they own accepting cash.

Do people pay cash for houses to avoid tax?

I would be amazed if anyone paid cash for an extension or if they did, whether the builder would not declare it.  It would take a tax inspector 20 minutes to cross check planning applications and find out who carried out the work.

If an electrician was carrying out a job for say £100, he would end up paying 20% tax (based on the first tax threshold) This means it is worth £80 to him.  What would he possibly have to gain by offering to do the job for £80 cash?  It's still worth the same to him.

Tax evasion is the same throughout industry.  It is not exclusive or even more prevalent to the self-employed.

I'm not knocking the Government here but these packages still have some gaping holes and lack clarity in places. 

1) Rent- is it a holiday like mortgage or merely an extension of an eviction grace/court period? Read it was the latter online. 

2) Zero hours. Guess Universal Credit applicable here but that system has its flaws. 

3) Employees who were laid off by proactive/desperate companies before the 80% rule was announced.

4) Self-employed. Already much covered in this thread.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not knocking the Government here but these packages still have some gaping holes and lack clarity in places. 

1) Rent- is it a holiday like mortgage or merely an extension of an eviction grace/court period? Read it was the latter online. 

2) Zero hours. Guess Universal Credit applicable here but that system has its flaws. 

3) Employees who were laid off by proactive/desperate companies before the 80% rule was announced.

It seems to be down to the employer Mr P.

My daughter has a job at Maccy D's, while she's at college and they are on zero hours contracts in the main. She's contracted for 22 hours a week for some reason and McD's are paying her in full until 05/04 and then 80% of her average hours over a 3 month period.

Fair play to them for that but it's a package which is definitely open to questions. Does the employer apply? Do they have to pay 80% to all employees? If someone was laid off very recently, do they still get paid 80% and where from etc etc?

8 minutes ago, Delta said:

Do people pay cash for houses to avoid tax?

I would be amazed if anyone paid cash for an extension or if they did, whether the builder would not declare it.  It would take a tax inspector 20 minutes to cross check planning applications and find out who carried out the work.

If an electrician was carrying out a job for say £100, he would end up paying 20% tax (based on the first tax threshold) This means it is worth £80 to him.  What would he possibly have to gain by offering to do the job for £80 cash?  It's still worth the same to him.

Tax evasion is the same throughout industry.  It is not exclusive or even more prevalent to the self-employed.

Does a self employed person pay tax on the 80% as it goes down as a business payment or is that already deducted, hence the 80%.

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Same as freelance graphic designers. Most companies won’t hire you unless you are a limited company or are registered with an umbrella company, who sort out your NI and tax. I’m registered self employed with HMRC so can do self assessment but am employed by Parasol, the umbrella company, even though I don’t have any work at the moment. 

Yep, same here in Financial Services, Limited or Umbrella.  As Director (80/20 with Mrs F) I don't have an employment contract, so think we will fall down the gap of any support, other than the Business Loan...which we don't want / need, but there will be plenty of others that do.  As for Umbrella, you sign an Employment Contract but if you can't work I can't see Umbrella covering you.  I'm pretty sure Client will reject any invoices you raise through Umbrella, because you can only invoice for days worked (in theory).

As for me, contract finishes 2nd April....main reason being IR35 decisions (notwithstanding the 1 year delay...which came too late), and I'm now isolating for 12 weeks because of Joe so can't go out looking for a new contract / other work.  I'm not moaning, because I'm ok with money in the business to draw on....but I know of others in my situation who will be stuffed.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

Are car dealerships open for servicing? my car is due it's annual service soon and is still under warranty if it's not done the warranty becomes void, would driving your car to the garage be allowed it's 15 miles from my house?

I would call the dealer. Mine's in tomorrow and they're picking it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

It seems to be down to the employer Mr P.

My daughter has a job at Maccy D's, while she's at college and they are on zero hours contracts in the main. She's contracted for 22 hours a week for some reason and McD's are paying her in full until 05/04 and then 80% of her average hours over a 3 month period.

Fair play to them for that but it's a package which is definitely open to questions. Does the employer apply? Do they have to pay 80% to all employees? If someone was laid off very recently, do they still get paid 80% and where from etc etc?

Down to the employer and down to their cash flow IMO Ska. 

McDonald's is a global employer which I am assuming has significant cash reserves, more cushion, margin for error etc. Fair play it is despite not having to, but many employers won't be in the same position, be it choice or necessity. One I know laid off 30% of staff over a week long period (not last week but the week before). Dare say they wouldn't be alone in that...

Definitely as many questions as answers so far in that respect I think.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Down to the employer and down to their cash flow IMO Ska. 

McDonald's is a global employer which I am assuming has significant cash reserves, more cushion, margin for error etc. Fair play it is despite not having to, but many employers won't be in the same position, be it choice or necessity. One I know laid off 30% of staff over a week long period (not last week but the week before). Dare say they wouldn't be alone in that...

Definitely as many questions as answers so far in that respect I think.

Spot on Mr P. Where do people go to ask though? i wouldn't have a clue but I'm PAYE and able to work from home in the most part. I'm alright but there are many that aren't and that concerns me.

Edited by Ska Junkie

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I can't see it collapsing because there is too much money sloshing around in the Premier League; individual clubs can mess up but for every imploding Sunderland or Bolton there is a Bournemouth ready to step up and take their place.

The only thing that would rescue English football would be if the Chinese league really took off and became the de facto best in the world league that the EPL is at present.

Then all the top players would head there for the money and the TV subscriptions would follow leaving the EPL with much reduced TV income and much more reliant upon gate receipts.

India has done similar with cricket so maybe this will happen at some point. I can't see that anything else will save English football.

I hope China crashes and burns after the shit storm it's put on the whole world to be honest.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

Are car dealerships open for servicing? my car is due it's annual service soon and is still under warranty if it's not done the warranty becomes void, would driving your car to the garage be allowed it's 15 miles from my house?

A friend of mine works in sales for a large dealership group, all showrooms closed as of yesterday but servicing and MOT still open as they're classed as essential.

I've got an MOT booked in next week and as far as I'm aware it's still happening.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

A friend of mine works in sales for a large dealership group, all showrooms closed as of yesterday but servicing and MOT still open as they're classed as essential.

I've got an MOT booked in next week and as far as I'm aware it's still happening.

I had a text from TrustFord yesterday saying they are only open for servicing and MOT as you mentioned.  A friend of mine is still doing mechanics as he's a mobile (he's doing the missus' MOT tomorrow in fact, on the proviso we have to leave the keys somewhere away from the house so he can collect without coming face to face with us).

11 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Does a self employed person pay tax on the 80% as it goes down as a business payment or is that already deducted, hence the 80%.

What 80%?

Do you mean if he receives £80 instead of £100 from the client?

Why would he want to do that?  Why would he want to evade tax, risk the consequences of doing so, just to save the client £20?

He gets £80 either way so obviously, he might just as well receive it through the books - He has nothing to gain by letting the client off £20.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, same here in Financial Services, Limited or Umbrella.  As Director (80/20 with Mrs F) I don't have an employment contract, so think we will fall down the gap of any support, other than the Business Loan...which we don't want / need, but there will be plenty of others that do.  As for Umbrella, you sign an Employment Contract but if you can't work I can't see Umbrella covering you.  I'm pretty sure Client will reject any invoices you raise through Umbrella, because you can only invoice for days worked (in theory).

As for me, contract finishes 2nd April....main reason being IR35 decisions (notwithstanding the 1 year delay...which came too late), and I'm now isolating for 12 weeks because of Joe so can't go out looking for a new contract / other work.  I'm not moaning, because I'm ok with money in the business to draw on....but I know of others in my situation who will be stuffed.

You are employed that way because your employer is trying to ensure that they do not have to pay you holiday pay.

3 minutes ago, Delta said:

What 80%?

Do you mean if he receives £80 instead of £100 from the client?

Why would he want to do that?  Why would he want to evade tax, risk the consequences of doing so, just to save the client £20?

He gets £80 either way so obviously, he might just as well receive it through the books - He has nothing to gain by letting the client off £20.

Sorry Delta, my question was badly worded.

i'm not saying a self employed person would pass savings on to a client. If they cannot work and claim the figure quoted by the gov't, would that be tax free or would that go to the business and be taxable on any self assessment in the future?