IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Sorry Delta, my question was badly worded.

i'm not saying a self employed person would pass savings on to a client. If they cannot work and claim the figure quoted by the gov't, would that be tax free or would that go to the business and be taxable on any self assessment in the future?

The talk is of a 3 year average of net pay.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Sorry Delta, my question was badly worded.

i'm not saying a self employed person would pass savings on to a client. If they cannot work and claim the figure quoted by the gov't, would that be tax free or would that go to the business and be taxable on any self assessment in the future?

As far as I'm aware, nothing is in place at this point for the self-employed.

If and when something is introduced, it will almost certainly be classed as income and therefore taxable (provided that the worker earns over his personal tax allowance for that year (which is around £12,000 I believe).

21 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

The talk is of a 3 year average of net pay.

20 minutes ago, Delta said:

As far as I'm aware, nothing is in place at this point for the self-employed.

If and when something is introduced, it will almost certainly be classed as income and therefore taxable (provided that the worker earns over his personal tax allowance for that year (which is around £12,000 I believe).

Thank you gents. As I mentioned, it doesn't affect me personally but i have many friends that are self employed and they just don't know what happens if and when they have to stop working. 

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Thank you gents. As I mentioned, it doesn't affect me personally but i have many friends that are self employed and they just don't know what happens if and when they have to stop working. 

I am self employed, so am waiting nervously for the announcement  

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Last I heard the King Billy was still opening. It was certainly open over the weekend. 

Staple hill?

If so my elderly neighbours son is a daily punter in there and it is definitely shut as I literally spoke to him about an hour ago. He did say he went up and got some takeaways from there so assume that was after Friday though - maybe people were seen on pick ups rather than actually in the pub drinking?

21 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Staple hill?

If so my elderly neighbours son is a daily punter in there and it is definitely shut as I literally spoke to him about an hour ago. He did say he went up and got some takeaways from there so assume that was after Friday though - maybe people were seen on pick ups rather than actually in the pub drinking?

Cadbury Heath.

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

On a more light hearted tone, one of our own has been putting tunes on youtube, about the virus. Take a look, they're really very good.

More to come....

Yes! 

@cheesleysmate. 

Superb  

Not sure why his tag ain’t working? Is he on here still! 

• Haha 1

• Admin
32 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

More reason to think this isn't just a risk for elderly and vulnerable people and that all of us need to keep ourselves safe:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-briton-21-with-no-existing-health-conditions-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-11963451

I wonder if they have the full PM results, people can have underlying conditions or a immune system problem without ever being aware of it.

A friend died in his late 30’s, dropped dead on the beach with his misses and boy there, no previous symptoms, PM revealed a underlying genetic heart condition.  No one had any idea he had it.

Thats not to say we shouldn’t be careful and follow guidelines, but we desperately need the antibody test to see how many have had it with no or mild symptoms.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I wonder if they have the full PM results, people can have underlying conditions or a immune system problem without ever being aware of it.

A friend died in his late 30’s, dropped dead on the beach with his misses and boy there, no previous symptoms, PM revealed a underlying genetic heart condition.  No one had any idea he had it.

Thats not to say we shouldn’t be careful and follow guidelines, but we desperately need the antibody test to see how many have had it with no or mild symptoms.

Indeed. But the key things to me are:

1) Anyone of us could have underlying symptoms without being aware of it. I speak from experience here - I was born with a condition that gradually narrowed my aorta over  time, which was only picked up by chance when I was having some unrelated medial tests as a child. Had it not been for that coincidence, I could very easily have suddenly dropped dead unexpectedly. (So sorry to hear that exact same thing happened to your friend). Of the conditions that make people vulnerable, four of them (cancer, heart disease, hypertension and diabetes) are common impairments that often can be missed by people who do not realise anything is wrong with them.

2) At the moment, there are loads of unknowns. As you say, we don't know how many people have had COVID-19 without realising. We don't know exactly what the mortality rate is and we don't know why, even though older people and people with underlying heart conditions e are most at risk, the majority of those people nonetheless survive yet some people who don't seem to be at risk die. Depending on where you look, you can find people who appear to be well qualified saying 80% of people will catch it and people who appear to be equally well qualified saying it is likely to be much lower. You can also find experts who think the death rate for people with no underlying health conditions to be 0.05 (or one in every 2000 cases) or people who think it is close to 1 in every 100 cases.

In those circumstances, the only sensible thing to do follow the precautionary principle and take every reasonable caution in case the worst case estimates are true. Of course, once a clearer picture emerges, people will have a better way to make informed decisions about the risk and act accordingly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, same here in Financial Services, Limited or Umbrella.  As Director (80/20 with Mrs F) I don't have an employment contract, so think we will fall down the gap of any support, other than the Business Loan...which we don't want / need, but there will be plenty of others that do.  As for Umbrella, you sign an Employment Contract but if you can't work I can't see Umbrella covering you.  I'm pretty sure Client will reject any invoices you raise through Umbrella, because you can only invoice for days worked (in theory).

As for me, contract finishes 2nd April....main reason being IR35 decisions (notwithstanding the 1 year delay...which came too late), and I'm now isolating for 12 weeks because of Joe so can't go out looking for a new contract / other work.  I'm not moaning, because I'm ok with money in the business to draw on....but I know of others in my situation who will be stuffed.

Yes I’m not expecting anything from the umbrella company. I claim UC which will pay something at some point, plus I’m waiting for payment from another contract from early feb. I’m staying at my mum’s so don’t have to worry about rent at the moment

• Like 1

Good Afternoon all from sunny Tallinn, a shame this virus is keeping most people in including my wife and me. According to the Government website as of yesterday 404 have been diagnosed with COVID19 in Estonia, 28 in hospital, 7 in intensive care, 5 in a critical condition. 18 are men and 10 women, the youngest is in their 20's and the oldest is in their 80's. Schools have been closed for a over a week now and lessons where possible are conducted online, with playgrounds closed as well.  All bars and cafes will be closed from the 27th, although most are already shut, also in shopping centres only supermarkets and pharmacies are allowed to open and for some reason bike shops, there is a two metre rule for distancing at checkouts etc. Gatherings of more than two people are not allowed and they say if the amount of cases increase heavily then further restrictions will be implemented.  Buses are running as normal, but are quite empty most of the day and considering travel is free in Tallinn for all residents, it shows that a hell of a lot are working from home and people are not venturing out for anything else than essentials. So at the moment not too bad, but the way this virus is going who knows what the situation will be in the next few weeks. IMO, the Government are doing very well. In conclusion, to all of you out there, take care, stay safe and in the words of Jack Reacher "plan for the worst and hope for the best"

• Like 1

A few surprising figures re current status;

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Unfortunately, France, Spain, Switzerland, Belgium, and Holland appear to be on a steep upwards curve and Germany are beginning to get hit a bit more.

I see that testing kits are to be rolled out here from next week which will identify if a person has had the virus or if they have it. That will be an enormous help - being given to NHS and front line staff first, vulnerable,  then the public. 3.5m in first phase then millions more via chemists (cue the panic buying of test kits).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/uk-coronavirus-mass-home-testing-to-be-made-available-within-days

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

A friend of mine works in sales for a large dealership group, all showrooms closed as of yesterday but servicing and MOT still open as they're classed as essential.

I've got an MOT booked in next week and as far as I'm aware it's still happening.

Not sure why the Government have given a 6 month extension if that's the case if you can get yours done as normal, oh well I suppose it will help keep people off the roads going for MOTs.

20 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Unfortunately, France, Spain, Switzerland, Belgium, and Holland appear to be on a steep upwards curve and Germany are beginning to get hit a bit more.

I see that testing kits are to be rolled out here from next week which will identify if a person has had the virus or if they have it. That will be an enormous help - being given to NHS and front line staff first, vulnerable,  then the public. 3.5m in first phase then millions more via chemists (cue the panic buying of test kits).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/uk-coronavirus-mass-home-testing-to-be-made-available-within-days

Thanks for sharing.

Well it's interesting that Germany still only have 2 dozen in serious/critical condition when France and Spain have 2,500! 

Pep and Messi have both donated £1m apiece to the Covid19 in Spain.

Football to give NHS staff free tickets.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/03/25/football-clubs-make-100000-free-tickets-available-nhs-staff/?

I've queried football a bit during this crisis but credit where it is due! :clap:

Along with Zaha, Neville, Giggs, Abramovich- have I missed anyone?

On the other hand...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8149017/Agents-demand-300m-Premier-League-clubs-face-mass-legal-action-amid-coronavirus-uncertainty.html

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

In the last few days it seems that there has been a slowing in the rate of increase for Switzerland. Waiting for today's stats from Canton Vaud which is the worst-affected Canton but only reported 72 new cases yesterday so hopefully the measures of last week are beginning to have an impact.

I don't think that the Worldometer numbers stack up in places either. The link below is being updated daily with the data released by each Canton and there are some significant discrepancies, such as 1,082 new cases on the Worldometer site for yesterday against 721 released by the Cantonal administrations. Probably a question of timing.

https://www.corona-data.ch/

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

2) At the moment, there are loads of unknowns. As you say, we don't know how many people have had COVID-19 without realising. We don't know exactly what the mortality rate is and we don't know why, even though older people and people with underlying heart conditions e are most at risk, the majority of those people nonetheless survive yet some people who don't seem to be at risk die.

You’re right that we don’t know the actual mortality rate.

But when it comes to risk, people (myself included!) make big mistakes. Making up some numbers, if 99% of “at risk” people die and 1% of “no risk” people die, then in a population of millions/billions you’ll still have lots of over 70s surviving and lots of under 30s dying.

I think a lot of us have assumed we’re safe and are just worrying about older loved ones. But we are not necessarily going to be personally ok, it’s just our age group that will be mostly ok.

• Like 1