IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Something worrying, the political editor for news night saying the govt are changing the way they are releasing death figures and may not be deaths in the last 24 hours, which he claims is due to needing family consent, however you don't need consent to be a part of annonymised data as that's the point of it. Feels like the govt are manipulating figures. 

• Like 1

I think, in response to a few earlier posts; the number shown as infected will increase sharply for the foreseeable. Two reasons for this:

Firstly; More people are getting it, we all know infection rate hasn't peaked yet.......BUT.....the sooner people take isolation seriously, the SOONER infection rates WILL PLATEAU.

Secondly; the Govt are ramping up testing, ALOT more people will be tested from here on in. Hopefully the retrospective tests that are soon to be rolled out will show more people have had the virus than currently estimated, though this is not probably too likely in reality - hoping I'm wrong on that.

It's a very difficult situation to manage. We all want to keep deaths of of friends, colleagues, family and loved ones to an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM, but also we need a world we can all enjoy and live in after, without rationing and the incredible hardships that a great depression would bring. (Not just luxury items, make NO mistake, get it wrong and we could end up with food and clothes shortages to name but two) for many years to come. It's hard for me to fathom that my 9 and 11 yo kids could still be suffering from the fall out of this when they leave the education system in many years time.

Really tough choices for our leaders, I for one, don't envy them one bit. History will judge us all on these coming months for sure. 

We all must do our bit.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Stortz said:

There seems to be a lot of wishful thinking going on around this.

It seems about 50% of the population are trying to convince themselves that they already 'had it around Christmas'.

That's why I'm wondering as several people have said they definitely had it last winter.  Before that I hadn't entertained the possibility.

With mass testing we will know anyway and until those results are out I'm following the government guidelines because what is done cannot be undone.

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Doubt you will hear that much on the media def not be headline news either....doom mongers rule ok.

Noticed that on Breakfast this morning, if the death toll had gone up by even one over the previous day we would not have heard the end of it but the toll is less than half the previous day and it gets a passing mention, was not surprised though.

45 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Or can't be bothered to explain myself to brain dead idiots. Try googling wet markets of China, or maybe read the book published in 2011 predicting this exact thing and how it would start. But yeah a baseless agenda you absolute belter. Now toddle off and bury your head .

"Educate yourself" isn't going to cut it I'm afraid. I would honestly like to hear more about your stance on this.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

Noticed that on Breakfast this morning, if the death toll had gone up by even one over the previous day we would not have heard the end of it but the toll is less than half the previous day and it gets a passing mention, was not surprised though.

Agreed but I don't think it's helping to group people into "doom mongers" and "selfish idiots" because it reads like a Lee Johnson thread with happy clappers and LJ haters.

As per posts above: we don't know, nobody knows. People are entitled to speculate and analyse the data, as that's what the experts are doing, but the current light lockdown is designed to head off an imminent spike in cases for the NHS to deal with so I think makes sense either way for now.

When the data from the testing is in then some hard decisions will have to be made because the effect in the round has to be assessed.  There are real world consequences from the lockdown: people will lose money, livelihoods, businesses, and homes. There will be suicides.

Important as it is there are more things to consider than the virus.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Who the **** do you think you are exactly  ?  

Oof. Easy on the fragile ego there.

I'm just a guy that is genuinely curious as to why you violently refuse to expand on why you would single out a country and wish suffering upon them as a consequence of this global problem.

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Agreed but I don't think it's helping to group people into "doom mongers" and "selfish idiots" because it reads like a Lee Johnson thread with happy clappers and LJ haters.

As per posts above: we don't know, nobody knows. People are entitled to speculate and analyse the data, as that's what the experts are doing, but the current light lockdown is designed to head off an imminent spike in cases for the NHS to deal with so I think makes sense either way for now.

When the data from the testing is in then some hard decisions will have to be made because the effect in the round has to be assessed.  There are real world consequences from the lockdown: people will lose money, livelihoods, businesses, and homes. There will be suicides.

Important as it is there are more things to consider than the virus.

Everyone likes a good conspiracy... it's what keeps forums going and might explain the rise of social media

3 hours ago, Redpool said:

Hearing that NHS Nightingale will be fitted with 2 morgues. Very sad but it sounds more like a place to send those who will more than likely lose their life. 4000 beds to be fitted. I don’t think we’ve even scratched the surface yet in terms of deaths in this country.

Don't agree with you, let's hope I'm right and your wrong.

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well that's because it hasn't gone down, they've just changed the way they report them:

image.png.3090d565712e46c75c9f22c9bb549257.png

4 minutes ago, pillred said:

Yes, I'm sure that you know more than every scientist and emergency planner in the world eh.

Give me strength.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043896

Barclays sent me a text yesterday indicating that if I use my overdraft, I won't be charged interest till after 30th April. Nothing like encouraging customers to use something and then bang, you are hit with overdraft rates. Is there some magic timeline I don't know about or a pot of money that will magically appear before 30th April? The cynic in me thinks the banks are taking the piss and trying to make money out of a crisis.

No wonder their reputation is on a par with solicitors/lawyers.

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

Not sure what you don't agree with?  That Hospital Nightingale is the new name for ExCel Centre?  Or that it's going to have 4000 beds across 2 wards? Or that it's going to contain a morgue?  Or that maybe we haven't seen anywhere near the number of fatalities from this virus (in your opinion)...?  I suggest if you know more than the doctors, nurses and scientists involved in this, you immediately head up the NHS task force.

3 minutes ago, Kykoliko said:

Oof. Easy on the fragile ego there.

I'm just a guy that is genuinely curious as to why you violently refuse to expand on why you would single out a country and wish suffering upon them as a consequence of this global problem.

Ok I'll pander to you. Let's call me John . 

John is a self employed Carpenter with a small cabinet making business.  John has a 9 year old daughter.  John enjoys football on a Saturday and spending time with his wife and family. Now one day some sick minded Chinese person who likes to stuff live animals in cages so they can eat them ,sometimes alive ! Scoffs down **** knows what bat, lizard ,dog ,******* unicorn maybe and guess what this new virus is born. Obviously they didn't think it would happen, apart from the fact it had happened a few years previously.  Now back to John and his boring life . Suddenly John's family are in danger his older frail relatives have to self isolate and are in real danger of death due to underlying health issues.  John's business is ****** it relied on working in people's homes. Now John is home Schooling his daughter because obviously all the schools are closed. They can only leave their home for essentials which are sometimes difficult to get because of panic buying .This situation is repeated in every city across the world . So to summarise  

**** YOU CHINA.

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes, I've read that it was a weapon created by the Chinese against the West and the US against the Chinese.

Well it's not a very good weapon when it's killing both!

That will be the law of unintended consequences coming into play.

My mate's mate, told him that if you drink tonic water, the quinine will protect you for Corona. I said it probably needs to be drunk with a lot of gin and you won't care.

9 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

That will be the law of unintended consequences coming into play.

My mate's mate, told him that if you drink tonic water, the quinine will protect you for Corona. I said it probably needs to be drunk with a lot of gin and you won't care.

I can actually believe that.....The stuff's so revolting, I've given it a wide berth for years! ?

29 minutes ago, pillred said:

It may look encouraging and I'll take any positive from this situation.

But the reality is that it is more than likely to go up from here for quite a while if you take into account what the experts are saying. If we have anywhere around 20k fatalities then, in their eyes, that would be a huge relief. Italy and Spain are on their way to those sort of figures and they are a bit in front of us in terms of time. I'm not sure that figures coming out of China are accurate tbh.

The experts seem to think that if this lock down works, and the analysis from the retrospective testing is positive, then the NHS will cope. But, for me, the Chancellors resolution for the self employed will also have a bearing on that. Get it right and the lock down is strengthened, get it wrong and, without legislation to stop hundreds of thousands of people going out to earn money, it could go horribly wrong.

4 hours ago, Redpool said:

Hearing that NHS Nightingale will be fitted with 2 morgues. Very sad but it sounds more like a place to send those who will more than likely lose their life. 4000 beds to be fitted. I don’t think we’ve even scratched the surface yet in terms of deaths in this country.

All hospitals have morgues of course. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

I think it's likely that the group of people you're talking about will be kept comfortable at home and won't get anywhere near a hospital as this escalates

6 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

I can actually believe that.....The stuff's so revolting, I've given it a wide berth for years! ?

Tonic water originally was used for malaria protection, had far, far more quinine in and tasted far worse.

The quinine type drugs touted as helping limit coronavirus symptoms are (I read somewhere) the equivalent of about 200 modern gin and tonics per dose, so probably more harm than good done there!

Unfortunately the initial evidence for these drugs was anecdotal and the first controlled test results don't look great.

• Thanks 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52045797

Is this an indicator of what is on the way after all of this has blown over?

Taxes will be raised no doubt to pay back all of the money spent on this debacle.
I suspect austerity will be reimposed.
Environmental policies will fall by the wayside.

Bottom line, a shit storm might be on its way.

On the bright side, I'm expecting BCFC to be promoted in the next millennia or two.

32 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Ok I'll pander to you. Let's call me John . 

John is a self employed Carpenter with a small cabinet making business.  John has a 9 year old daughter.  John enjoys football on a Saturday and spending time with his wife and family. Now one day some sick minded Chinese person who likes to stuff live animals in cages so they can eat them ,sometimes alive ! Scoffs down **** knows what bat, lizard ,dog ,******* unicorn maybe and guess what this new virus is born. Obviously they didn't think it would happen, apart from the fact it had happened a few years previously.  Now back to John and his boring life . Suddenly John's family are in danger his older frail relatives have to self isolate and are in real danger of death due to underlying health issues.  John's business is ****** it relied on working in people's homes. Now John is home Schooling his daughter because obviously all the schools are closed. They can only leave their home for essentials which are sometimes difficult to get because of panic buying .This situation is repeated in every city across the world . So to summarise  

**** YOU CHINA.

Hope this helps.

So, let me get this straight. You "hope China burns" because you think a virus was born because "some sick minded Chinese person" ate a bat or lizard? What makes them sick-minded to you?

You claimed that this has been predicted by "the experts" for many years. Despite the warnings, you have nothing to say about the governments that failed to adequately prepare?

Nothing to say about the people ignoring governmental instructions when they finally came?

Nothing to say about the fact that the situation in China has been relatively well managed, compared to the rest of the world?

If you truly want what is best for the world right now, please keep your narrow-minded, bigoted and downright xenophobic thoughts to yourself. We don't need people like you.

Edited by Kykoliko

2 minutes ago, Kykoliko said:

So, let me get this straight. You "hope China burns" because you think a virus was born because "some sick minded Chinese person" ate a bat or lizard? What makes them sick-minded to you?

You claimed that this has been predicted by "the experts" for many years. Despite the warnings, you have nothing to say about the governments that failed to adequately prepare?

Nothing to say about the people ignoring governmental instructions when they finally came?

Nothing to say about the fact that the situation in China has been relatively well managed, compared to the rest of the world?

If you truly want what is best for the world as a whole, please keep your narrow-minded, bigoted and downright xenophobic thoughts to yourself. We don't need people like you.

Yes your so right about the government unable to prepare . Always someone else's fault. My heart bleeds for you . 

10 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52045797

Is this an indicator of what is on the way after all of this has blown over?

Taxes will be raised no doubt to pay back all of the money spent on this debacle.
I suspect austerity will be reimposed.
Environmental policies will fall by the wayside.

Bottom line, a shit storm might be on its way.

On the bright side, I'm expecting BCFC to be promoted in the next millennia or two.

It'll be interesting to see how the government tackles the post-coronavirus tax problem. The Tories have historically always looked out for their own, which means tax cuts for the rich, but with so many people heading to unemployment, the money will have to come from somewhere. I don't think austerity will be a serious option either: if there are no jobs, you can't hammer the unemployed with ever greater cuts. We may see a significant change along the lines of introduction of universal basic income, where everyone gets paid a minimum salary. It'll cost a fortune of course, but it might be the best way forward