IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

This virus is not doing my health anxiety any good at all - I thought after my CBT finished I'd finally got a handle on it, but this is ramping it right up to the top of the scale again.

Not helped by all the theories either (although I must say a couple of them I read today made me spit the cornflakes out - its apparently been caused by either 5G or a plague missile from North Korea, there are some right crackpots on social media and no mistake)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

How would you punish them?  Would you not want proof that it was started intentionally first? Or would you punish them anyway?

What a rather impertinent question. As far as I am concerned China is on this map of the world of ours simply to be punished. There should be absolutely no questioning of this exercise. It should be carried out with precision and decisiveness leaving the rest of us more healthy and happy.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

How would you punish them?  Would you not want proof that it was started intentionally first? Or would you punish them anyway?

Not sure anyone has said intentionally but that country has some serious issues.

11 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

I’m not a scientist but there’s two possibilities there, either it was treated as seasonal flu as nobody had even heard of covid-19 until February in this country and so early victims were assumed as having died of seasonal flu, or shortly after reaching Europe the virus mutated into a more serious strain, if i caught it I’d have caught the original strain which could be less serious. It’s interesting that they’re currently looking at the champions league game between Atlanta and Valencia as a possible reason for the two hotspots in Italy and Spain, this game was apparently played in Milan which has a connection with Wuhan

I was hospitalised with inflamed lymph nodes shortly after the persistent cough finished, the consultant told me it was as a result of my body working overtime to fight an infection but they had no idea what the infection was, i spent three day’s being pumped with antiviral drugs and antibiotics and started feeling better about a week later 

You're missing the third, far more likely possibility; that it wasn't Covid-19 at all

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you didn't have some horrible virus you may not have had before, but as @Kid in the Riot said a couple of pages back, you would have been tested in hospital and a novel Coronavirus would have been easily identified at the time, and gained worldwide attention.

If it's been running wild in the UK for 4 months, why have thousands of people not succumbed to serious lung disease or died here already, given the pace we're watching both rise at now?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

It'll be interesting to see how the government tackles the post-coronavirus tax problem. The Tories have historically always looked out for their own, which means tax cuts for the rich, but with so many people heading to unemployment, the money will have to come from somewhere. I don't think austerity will be a serious option either: if there are no jobs, you can't hammer the unemployed with ever greater cuts. We may see a significant change along the lines of introduction of universal basic income, where everyone gets paid a minimum salary. It'll cost a fortune of course, but it might be the best way forward

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52045797

Is this an indicator of what is on the way after all of this has blown over?

Taxes will be raised no doubt to pay back all of the money spent on this debacle.
I suspect austerity will be reimposed.
Environmental policies will fall by the wayside.

Bottom line, a shit storm might be on its way.

On the bright side, I'm expecting BCFC to be promoted in the next millennia or two.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/03/26/the-government-is-going-to-beat-coronavirus-using-modern-monetary-theory/ 

9 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I've said it intentionally and stand by it. The blame for this sits squarely at the feet of China.

It may well do but what are we going to do about it? China more a less run this planet right now and have a military and nuclear arsenal to match anyone. The west can moan all it likes but nothing will get done.

Edited by bris red
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

This virus is not doing my health anxiety any good at all - I thought after my CBT finished I'd finally got a handle on it, but this is ramping it right up to the top of the scale again.

Not helped by all the theories either (although I must say a couple of them I read today made me spit the cornflakes out - its apparently been caused by either 5G or a plague missile from North Korea, there are some right crackpots on social media and no mistake)

Definitely limit your time or remove social media apps would help. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

It may well do but what are we going to do about it? China more a less run this planet right now and have a military and nuclear arsenal to match anyone. The west can moan all it likes but nothing will get done.

It's not what we can do about it that worries me. It's what Trump does about it .

Q1..Please can I use a stepladder.........

Answer..No

Q2..Please can I take my hard hat off for 2 minutes while I work in a place where I can’t fit my head in if I keep it on.........

Answer..No

Q3..Please can I use a perfectly good drill that has a PAT test out of date by 1 day while I await re-testing........

Answer..No

Q4..Please can I run an extension lead across the floor for 5 minutes ...........

Answer..No

Q5..Please can I use another trades mobile scaffold which I am trained to build......

Answer..On many sites No

Q6..Please can I undo my chin strap in a building with enclosed windows when the temperature is about 90 degrees......

Answer..On many sites, No

Q7..Should I go to work on site when there is a global pandemic that is the most contagious thing ever known to man, travel on the tube squeezed in as usual with hundreds of other people, use a finger scanner for access and get in a small lift with 10 other blokes and a lift driver that stays in there all day........

Answer..Yes

Ok thanks.....as long as my health, safety and well-being remains your top priority I will crack on ??

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 3

6 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Q1..Please can I use a stepladder.........

Answer..No

Q2..Please can I take my hard hat off for 2 minutes while I work in a place where I can’t fit my head in if I keep it on.........

Answer..No

Q3..Please can I use a perfectly good drill that has a PAT test out of date by 1 day while I await re-testing........

Answer..No

Q4..Please can I run an extension lead across the floor for 5 minutes ...........

Answer..No

Q5..Please can I use another trades mobile scaffold which I am trained to build......

Answer..On many sites No

Q6..Please can I undo my chin strap in a building with enclosed windows when the temperature is about 90 degrees......

Answer..On many sites, No

Q7..Should I go to work on site when there is a global pandemic that is the most contagious thing ever known to man, travel on the tube squeezed in as usual with hundreds of other people, use a finger scanner for access and get in a small lift with 10 other blokes and a lift driver that stays in there all day........

Answer..Yes

Ok thanks.....as long as my health, safety and well-being remains your top priority I will crack on ??

Sums it up nicely :clap:

Well we are now 14 hours into a full 58 hour curfew in the Cayman Islands. (7pm Wednesday night until 5am Saturday) No one is allowed out of their house (except into your private garden/balcony). all shops closed, only people on the streets are emergency services and medical/government staff. All because when the Gov announced a partial closedown of all non-essential business they were inundated by 20,000 applications form people/business who believed themselves to be "essential". This full curfew is to buy the Gov some time to sort out how the island will functional under a "new normal". We also, as a British Overseas Territory, need to keep a lid on our own infection (8 cases, 1 death) until such time as the UK has it's own house in order and can start supporting the vestiges of the Empire.

46 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

I’m not a scientist but there’s two possibilities there, either it was treated as seasonal flu as nobody had even heard of covid-19 until February in this country and so early victims were assumed as having died of seasonal flu, or shortly after reaching Europe the virus mutated into a more serious strain, if i caught it I’d have caught the original strain which could be less serious. It’s interesting that they’re currently looking at the champions league game between Atlanta and Valencia as a possible reason for the two hotspots in Italy and Spain, this game was apparently played in Milan which has a connection with Wuhan

I was hospitalised with inflamed lymph nodes shortly after the persistent cough finished, the consultant told me it was as a result of my body working overtime to fight an infection but they had no idea what the infection was, i spent three day’s being pumped with antiviral drugs and antibiotics and started feeling better about a week later 

I was at that champions League game... Never seen a metro so busy... Thousands of Atalanta fans were coming into Milan from the infamous towns around Bergamo... Felt absolutely hanging when I came back to the UK and paranoid .. it was a relief to get the all clear.. 

31 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Well we are now 14 hours into a full 58 hour curfew in the Cayman Islands. (7pm Wednesday night until 5am Saturday) No one is allowed out of their house (except into your private garden/balcony). all shops closed, only people on the streets are emergency services and medical/government staff. All because when the Gov announced a partial closedown of all non-essential business they were inundated by 20,000 applications form people/business who believed themselves to be "essential". This full curfew is to buy the Gov some time to sort out how the island will functional under a "new normal". We also, as a British Overseas Territory, need to keep a lid on our own infection (8 cases, 1 death) until such time as the UK has it's own house in order and can start supporting the vestiges of the Empire.

I saw a pic this morning from a friend who lives at Laguna Del Mar: some idiot was paddle-boarding up 7MB, clearly part of the "rules don't apply to me" camp.

I saw the reports of the 20k+ applications for waiver: not bad from a workforce that can't be much over 30k.

My wife got over to England the day before the airport closed, but our dogs are still there, enjoying foster lockdown life at various places across the island.

Edited by One Team In Keynsham
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, bris red said:

There is something that can be done and that's not to buy their kit... superpower or no superpower, you can't argue with peoples choices.

It's a bit like Coronavirus, it knows no boundaries, it does not care, it is not out there to get you but it does require an individual to be a muppet and not follow some basic rules.

Get individuals to drop China produced kit and encourage the government to do the same and soon enough, China will get the message. This is an ideal and it's not going to happen.

Greta might not be everyone's cup of tea but she started a movement that is causing people to sit up and listen. Pity there is no 'Greta' for putting pressure on China.

Edited by bcfcfinker

5 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

There is something that can be done and that's not to buy their kit... superpower or no superpower, you can't argue with peoples choices.

It's a bit like Coronavirus, it knows no boundaries, it does not care, it is not out there to get you but it does require an individual to be a muppet and not follow some basic rules.

Get individuals to drop China produced kit and encourage the government to do the same and soon enough, China will get the message. This is an ideal and it's not going to happen.

Hope everyone who wants to boycott China who owns a computer or phone  throw it in the bin and find one without parts made in China, and thats just from the tech side, now think of everything else you buy, and what component  parts of it comes from China.

Stupid strategy that would hurt us as well as them

Lets be realistic  you have no idea how many chinese components you have in your house.

We long since moved to service sector from manufacturing.  Horse/bolted

Edited by TRL

6 minutes ago, TRL said:

Hope everyone who wants to boycott China who owns a computer or phone  throw it in the bin and find one without parts made in China, and thats just from the tech side, now think of everything else you buy, and what component  parts of it comes from China.

Stupid strategy that would hurt us as well as them

Lets be realistic  you have no idea how many chinese components you have in your house.

We long since moved to service sector from manufacturing.  Horse/bolted

To be clear, I understand everything you've said - I gave a nuclear solution to a 'what can we do' question.

As to your points, this is the 'we can't do anything because...' answer.
It's an inertia answer.

The real solution, if people 'really' want to do something, is to do something in the middle e.g. wean ourselves off of China and become self reliant - this would take years.

12 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Having visited Lyon for Euro 2016 and then for the 2018 Europa League final, with the obvious crowds both times, it is mad seeing the city like this.

That's mad. I have family there and visited many times so know how busy it can be. It's a beautiful city IMHO and it's tough to see it like that. Necessary certainly but sad all the same. :(

11 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Having visited Lyon for Euro 2016 and then for the 2018 Europa League final, with the obvious crowds both times, it is mad seeing the city like this.

Quite poignant and rams home the impact of this pandemic.

There was more people having a walk around Willsbridge, Hanham, Longwellgreen, today than in Lyon. I was in the car but I have to say that everyone was paying due respect to distancing and no groups at all.

14 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Never been but looks a beautiful city.  Plenty more in and around Europe looking much the same methinks.

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

You're missing the third, far more likely possibility; that it wasn't Covid-19 at all

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you didn't have some horrible virus you may not have had before, but as @Kid in the Riot said a couple of pages back, you would have been tested in hospital and a novel Coronavirus would have been easily identified at the time, and gained worldwide attention.

If it's been running wild in the UK for 4 months, why have thousands of people not succumbed to serious lung disease or died here already, given the pace we're watching both rise at now?

Time will tell, I’m a key worker living in London so social distancing is almost impossible so it’ll be interesting to see anything comes from that or not

I’m neither a scientist or conspiracy theorist and for the time being am saved from the boredom and frustration others are experiencing, but have read various reports about the virus mutating and causing other strains of the virus so that might be your answer right there. It seems for every  person who thinks this’ll blow over quickly there’s someone who thinks this won’t so guess we’ll just have to see how it plays out 

• Like 1

I have to say, until scientists have been able to do more analysis, we don't know who or what caused the virus. We may never know. The causes of many great pandemics, including "Spanish flu", are just conjecture.

The dominant theory is that it began in Wuhan in November/December and may have some connection to the city's "wet market" and either bats or pangolins.

But there are problems with this: the form of bat coronavirus found in the kind of bats eaten in central China is only 96% a DNA match with Covid-19. That isn't normally close enough for a mutated virus to "jump species". As for pangolins, it's the scales that are ground up and used in (already banned) traditional medicine. These would be very unlikely to carry the virus, and pangolins only have a 90.3%match with the genetic material carried by Covid-19. Unlikely that they are either its direct source or even the "bridge" to forest bats. They are critically endangered for one thing.

Also, multiple reports suggest that neither bats or pangolins were sold in the wet market in Wuhan. Bat-eating being much more of a rural thing; something that is dying out in modern China.

You don't need to blame the peculiar eating habits of some Chinese for these zoonotic diseases. They are much more likely to come from everyday farm animals that everyone eats: chickens (SARS/MERS); pigs (Swine Fever), etc.

Moreover, research on many virus outbreaks has suggested they may have circulated for decades at a low-level before a mutation made them more dangerous and a "super-spreader" burst them into an epidemic. Although AIDS was first identified in New York in 1981, evidence now shows it was present in the Congo basin area in the 1930s and had reached the US by the 1960s. Deaths from it were chalked up to different causes.

So I personally wouldn't "blame China" for a virus mutation over which they would've had no control, and which may not even have originated there.

If there's blame to be attributed, we need to await the "inquest" on all this: and that may be years away.

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2