IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

20,000 casualties, it will be less than half that unless there is a massive downturn. I think we have seen if not the worse of it at least the beginning of the end it may be a bit bad for a week or two more but I'm not of the were doomed brigade which puts me in a minority of one on here so it seems.

There may well be a few on here who are negative and pessimistic - no doubt about that.

But most are pragmatic and can see it is going to get bad before it gets better.

I admire your optimism :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I would be delighted to apologise if I'm wrong, and I'd certainly be in the exalted company of every epidemiologist,  scientist, doctor and emergency planner on the planet.

Incredible that somebody with such unique knowledge as you should be on otib. What are your medical or scientific qualifications? A Nobel prize at least, I'm presuming?

CSE grade 2 maths and a width kick with float at Beg Brooke primary in 1965 if your asking.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think the civets were the bridge animal to chickens. I may be wrong.

Like the current virus, i'm not sure definitive conclusions have been reached. Incidentally, the current coronavirus is a form of SARS, so you do wonder.

Re SARS:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-sars/china-scientists-say-sars-civet-cat-link-proved-idUSPEK23793120061123

And MERS:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/25/12/19-0882_article

No chickens involved in those outbreaks, which is pretty surprising given how closely and filthily they live!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Re SARS:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-sars/china-scientists-say-sars-civet-cat-link-proved-idUSPEK23793120061123

And MERS:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/25/12/19-0882_article

No chickens involved in those outbreaks, which is pretty surprising given how closely and filthily they live!

Think I was thinking of H5N1.

I've read, somewhere, that bats were implicated with Sars. Great Horse Shoe Bats that may have been stored near the species that might have passed the virus to humans. 

Weren't they also the likely vector for ebola?

I think the entire comic book franchise Batman may have to be rethought.  :protest:

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Think I was thinking of H5N1.

I've read, somewhere, that bats were implicated with Sars. Great Horse Shoe Bats that may have been stored near the species that might have passed the virus to humans. 

Weren't they also the likely vector for ebola?

I think the entire comic book franchise Batman may have to be rethought.  :protest:

As a species we are constantly asking for novel viral trouble really, be that by mixing and butchering all these disparate species in one unsanitary place, or pumping pigs full of antibiotics in massive sheds in Mexico.

And it's not just the Chinese that have wet markets tbf, you see similar in Indonesia and all over Asia- and are they any less dangerous than what the US does on an industrial scale to livestock and the subsequent loss of human medical protection?

Let's hope attitudes change after this.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

There may well be a few on here who are negative and pessimistic - no doubt about that.

But most are pragmatic and can see it is going to get bad before it gets better.

I admire your optimism :)

I have no doubt that we are not out of the woods yet, but just don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as we have been led to believe, maybe a bit of negative spin doctoring to scare people into behaving themselves?

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

FB_IMG_1585242185928.jpg

Jesus christ spelling standards in this country are woeful. I have many foreign friends who spell better than a lot of English natives.

If someone is going to take the piss make sure there is nothing they come back with.

I'm thinking "prowed"

Anyway.. I may invest in one of those!

Edited by TRL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

There are indeed lots to "blame" the government there for. Invading Tibet and virtually destroying its culture for one thing. I don't think we can necessarily blame 'em for a viral mutation though.

Interested you ate bat (and rat!), JJT.  I'd be too squeamish. I wimped out of the old locust-on-a-stick in Vietnam.

I'd be hopeless on I'm A Celebrity...

I was young and naive back then mate,makes me gag a little bit even now thinking I done it

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

FB_IMG_1585242185928.jpg

It would be funnier if some thought was put into the spelling etc.

Other suggestions:

If you are concerned about social distancing, wear one of these

Ever seen anyone wearing one of these? I'll bet they weren't having social distancing problems.

If you're having problems getting toilet rolls, no problem, get one of these because they are always in stock.

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It shows 113 deaths today.

Yes I can see it now, a little confusing but yes bad, but still I think

not as bad as we were led to believe it would be, any death is one too many, this sort of figure may be around for a little while longer but unless there is a very large increase In the daily numbers no way are tens of thousands going to die.

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It shows 113 deaths today.

It’s going to be 3 weeks until we see any improvement in the figures, as long as people aren’t coughing and breathing all over each other in Asda trying to get to that last packet of Smash...which they probably are.

Our local Tesco’s express are operating a queuing system just to get inside and only allowing so many people in at once. They’ve also used black and yellow tape to make a grid on the floor, one person allowed in each ‘box’ at a time. Its about time supermarkets started doing this. 

10 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

It’s going to be 3 weeks until we see any improvement in the figures, as long as people aren’t coughing and breathing all over each other in Asda trying to get to that last packet of Smash...which they probably are.

Our local Tesco’s express are operating a queuing system just to get inside and only allowing so many people in at once. They’ve also used black and yellow tape to make a grid on the floor, one person allowed in each ‘box’ at a time. Its about time supermarkets started doing this. 

One person at a time allowed in the chemist this morning - I didn't notice the sign on the door as I walked in and was duly told off (and rightly so!)

10 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

We did our weekly shop in Lidl in Okehampton today around 10:30. It was all very civilized with people distancing, no-one getting stroppy (apart from one scratty family letting their brats run everywhere and letting it be known that they were disgusted at having to stay in - not that they got their fat arses off the sofa very often anyway by the looks of them). The biggest problem for us was having to queue for the checkout 1.5m apart which meant we had to stand for ten minutes right by the biscuits and chocolate - my waistline will be suffering over the next week or two now!

7 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

How about this one 

The corona Virus travelled entire world from Wuhan but it did not reach Beijing and Shanghai... can anybody put light?

Looks So Logical....After all Chinese Stock Market didn't crash....American and European Markets did.

Destroy other markets and be ready to capture them in every way How to dominate the world quickly?

THE GREAT CHINESE STAGE

1. Create a virus and the antidote.

2. Spread the virus.

3. A demonstration of efficiency, building hospitals in a few days. After all, you were already prepared, with the projects, ordering the equipment, hiring the labor, the water and sewage network, the prefabricated building materials and stocked in an impressive volume.

4. Cause chaos in the world, starting with Europe.

5. Quickly plaster the economy of dozens of countries.

6. Stop production lines in factories in other countries.

7. Cause stock markets to fall and buy companies at a bargain price.

8. Quickly control the epidemic in your country. After all, you were already prepared.

9. Lower the price of commodities, including the price of oil you buy on a large scale.

10. Get back to producing quickly while the world is at a standstill. Buy what you negotiated cheaply in the crisis and sell more expensive what is lacking in countries that have paralyzed their industries.

PS: Pl read the book by Chinese colonels Qiao Liang and Wang Xiangsui, from 1999, “Unrestricted Warfare: China’s master plan to destroy America”, on Amazon. It's all there. Worth pondering..

Just Think about this... How come Russia & North Korea are totally free of Covid- 19?

Because they are staunch ally of China.

Not a single case reported from this 2 countries. On the other hand South Korea / United Kingdom / Italy / Spain and Asia are severely hit.

How come Wuhan is suddenly free from the deadly virus? China will say that their drastic initial measures they took was very stern and Wuhan was locked down to contain the spread to other areas.

I am sure they are using the Anti dode of the virus. Why Beijing was not hit? Why only Wuhan?

Kind of interesting to ponder upon.. right? Well ..Wuhan is open for business now.

America and all the above mentioned countries are devastated financially. Soon American economy will collapse as planned by China. China knows it CANNOT defeat America militarily as USA is at present THE MOST POWERFUL country in the world. So use the virus...to cripple the economy and paralyse the nation and its Defense capabilities.

I'm sure Nancy Pelosi got a part in this. . to topple Trump.

Lately President Trump was always telling of how GREAT American economy was improving in all fronts.

The only way to destroy his vision of making AMERICA GREAT AGAIN is to create an economic havoc.

Nancy Pelosi was unable to bring down Trump thru impeachment. ....so work along with China to destroy Trump by releasing a virus. Wuhan,s epidemic was a showcase. At the peak of the virus epidemic. .. China's President Xi Jinping...just wore a simple RM1 facemask to visit those effected areas.

As President he should be covered from head to toe.....but it was not the case. He was already injected to resist any harm from the virus....that means a cure was already in place before the virus was released. Some may ask....Bill Gates already predicted the outbreak in 2015...so the chinese agenda cannot be true. The answer is. ..YES...Bill Gates did predict. .but that prediction is based on a genuine virus outbreak.

Now China is also telling that the virus was predicted well in advance. ....so that its agenda would play along well to match that prediction. China,s vision is to control the World economy by buying up stocks now from countries facing the brink of severe ECONOMIC COLLAPSE. Later China will announce that their Medical Researchers have found a cure to destroy the virus.

Now China have other countries stocks in their arsenal and these countries will soon be slave to their master...CHINA. Just Think about it ... The Doctor Who declared this virus was also Silenced by the Chinese Authorities

You had me convinced right up to the point where you said Dr Who was behind the whole thing. Surely the good doctor is the one trying to solve the virus mystery?!

Great post though and you're always welcome on my conspiracy theories/dystopia thread!