IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Seen that too. He's incoherent at the best of times, but that briefing looked and sounded like a man who was ready for a straight jacket. 

Frightening thing is, his poll rating in the US has never been higher, his supporters, they're lapping it up..

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I’m glad they were because bugger all here in bs3,they are quite happy to post letters through my letterbox saying we need to stay together in these times and want to collect food for the down and outs but couldn’t spend a minute of their time for the NHS

Very loud round my way - very emotional too - it should be every day not once a week as proposed - really sorry to hear that BS3 didn’t do it JJT ...

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Very loud round my way - very emotional too - it should be every day not once a week as proposed - really sorry to hear that BS3 didn’t do it JJT ...

When I say bs3 that’s my street so not saying the rest of bs3 was the same because obviously I don’t know,it’s a real shame tho but I expected it because everyone moving in up here are ignorant bastards 

Will City playing staff take a temporary wage cut? I see Premier League has taken a blanket approach to defer, but clubs from Barcelona to Leeds negotiating bespoke packages with their players. Personally I think a temporary cut from City players would strike the right tone, they have bills to pay but by any standard are affluent young men. It would help Bristol Sport continue to pay non-playing staff regardless of SL’s generosity or the government scheme.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

There does seem to be a lot of mixed messaging. We’re told we should stay in but are allowed out to exercise once a day. But we shouldn’t drive anywhere to do so. But we have to be 2m away from anybody else?

What’s the harm in driving somewhere quiet for a walk? I live in the middle of Bristol, everywhere I go has lots of people. But I know lots of places outside the city that would be quiet. But that’s out as I hear the police are stopping people and questioning them.

We also still have lots of non-essential people out working as their bosses are not letting them WFH or because they are unable to WFH.

It’s all pretty messy.

I was just discussing this with a member of my family. I think they have to make a universal law to ensure that it's enforced. Obviously if you're in the middle of nowhere in the Peak District, you're not going to be affecting anyone. Equally, most of us are sensible enough to do the right thing (i.e. keep our distance). But if they don't bring the measures in, you just know there will be people out there who don't take the necessary precautions, or who live in too built up an area to be able to. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I think the main point is that by driving somewhere unnecessary is then you have the risk (albeit tiny) of having an accident, which in turn then may require an Ambulance/Hospital adding more strain to the NHS.

True, I didn’t think of that. 

It’ll be interesting when this is over to see if there has been a big reduction in other things. Are norovirus cases down? Are car accidents down? Etc.

Although I guess those things will be balanced out with accidents in the home. My stepdad almost electrocuted himself while drilling a wall the other day.

35 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

There does seem to be a lot of mixed messaging. We’re told we should stay in but are allowed out to exercise once a day. But we shouldn’t drive anywhere to do so. But we have to be 2m away from anybody else?

What’s the harm in driving somewhere quiet for a walk? I live in the middle of Bristol, everywhere I go has lots of people. But I know lots of places outside the city that would be quiet. But that’s out as I hear the police are stopping people and questioning them.

We also still have lots of non-essential people out working as their bosses are not letting them WFH or because they are unable to WFH.

It’s all pretty messy.

10 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I think the main point is that by driving somewhere unnecessary is then you have the risk (albeit tiny) of having an accident, which in turn then may require an Ambulance/Hospital adding more strain to the NHS.

This isn't even government policy.  This is the police on a "frolic of their own".

Police said members of the public should not be driving anywhere to walk their dogs or exercise. However, the Guardian checked with the Cabinet Office, which is overseeing restrictions on movement, and a spokeswoman confirmed that the guidelines did not prohibit driving somewhere for exercise or dog walking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/uk-police-use-drones-and-roadblocks-to-enforce-lockdown?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2E5o5mwYWgy2xcfVhk5I7M7Ajki5dTjkZdFGya6g7gXLI7fOjJJ7K9Tl4#Echobox=1585243378

The police are making up their own rules now.  That's not a comforting thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

I think the reason that we are all being asked to stay at home is that is what the government and NHS want.......and that is for us to stay at home. People misinterpret messages and what a normal person might see as causing no problem , ie BS2Red could cause no problem driving up the Downs but Joe Idiot would make it into a mission, visiting friends, getting in other people's space, etc. For what its worth me and the missus have rediscovered a bedroom sport and thank the government for their advice and the added bonus is no little surprises in nine months time ?

To much info Stan , ??

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Think I was thinking of H5N1.

I've read, somewhere, that bats were implicated with Sars. Great Horse Shoe Bats that may have been stored near the species that might have passed the virus to humans. 

Weren't they also the likely vector for ebola?

I think the entire comic book franchise Batman may have to be rethought.  :protest:

A bit more abou the Pangolin theory here Robbo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52048195

image.png.8e2be27819d7eb12b0650fa785049e70.png

• Thanks 1

The NHS have just taken over Brighton’s ground, The Amex, to use as an emergency hospital. If other areas throughout the UK use local football stadia, can not see this season finishing.

Ashton Gate with it’s modern meeting/ function rooms and concourses might be an option in Bristol?

• Admin
3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Writing off this season?  I'm starting to fear for the 20/21 season.  This horror bug doesn't look like it is going away anytime soon.

Stick to facts, Wuhan is opening itself up from quarantine today.

Anyway sorry to digress off topic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

The NHS have just taken over Brighton’s ground, The Amex, to use as an emergency hospital. If other areas throughout the UK use local football stadia, can not see this season finishing.

Ashton Gate with it’s modern meeting/ function rooms and concourses might be an option in Bristol?

I did think this a couple of days ago.

The concourses are bloody cold, even more so when the stadium is empty of people so some industrial heaters would be needed. Plenty of toilets though and the area could be divided up quite easily.

Aprt from the concourses the rooms and facilities both for hospitality and the boxes are fantastic, as as the kitchens etc behind the scenes. 

I think our stadium if not already being considered would be a strong possibility. Nearly all staff have now been furloued so the place is empty too.

The shutdown of sport worldwide has revealed, in particularly , for football,  the precarious nature of the business.

Will the governing bodies take the opportunity to reset the rules ? 

Will clubs now realise that paying more for wages than you bring in must stop and now ?

Will players accept less money in the future    to ensure that their sport survives ? 

Will TV companies reduce their offers ?

Will Joe Public stop paying ridiculous percentages of their household budget for Sky and company ? 

I really hope the answer to all these questions is a resounding ‘ yes ‘ and that some ‘ good ‘ can come out of this crisis.

This is a wake up call. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I did think this a couple of days ago.

The concourses are bloody cold, even more so when the stadium is empty of people so some industrial heaters would be needed. Plenty of toilets though and the area could be divided up quite easily.

Aprt from the concourses the rooms and facilities both for hospitality and the boxes are fantastic, as as the kitchens etc behind the scenes. 

I think our stadium if not already being considered would be a strong possibility. Nearly all staff have now been furloued so the place is empty too.

Interesting.

Am assuming therefore, albeit at an early stage and with limited info that at this time:

1. Fans have taken a hit- no football for which they have paid atm (thinking ST holders basically).
  2. Fans will also in a number of cases have taken a hit- simply due to the economic downturn, layoffs etc.
  3. Club has taken a hit- no matchday revenue or associated revenue, let alone corporate revenue through the year that's surely on hold. Broadcast revenue?
  4. Talking of that, broadcasters will have taken a hit with cancelled/paused subscriptions.
  5. Staff at club have taken a bit of a hit- not a huge hit but being furloughed (sp?), does that mean full salaries or the 80% thing?
  6. Casual matchday staff have obviously or will have surely taken a 100% hit- nature of the job, get paid when at work etc.
  7. Rugby have obviously taken  a hit- see 25%?

Am I missing someone, or something here- the biggest cost of all? :whistle2:

Still early days @Hare Island as per the discussion the other day but seems that players being paid at full as it stands?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting.

Am assuming therefore, albeit at an early stage and with limited info that at this time:

1. Fans have taken a hit- no football for which they have paid atm (thinking ST holders basically).
  2. Fans will also in a number of cases have taken a hit- simply due to the economic downturn, layoffs etc.
  3. Club has taken a hit- no matchday revenue or associated revenue, let alone corporate revenue through the year that's surely on hold. Broadcast revenue?
  4. Talking of that, broadcasters will have taken a hit with cancelled/paused subscriptions.
  5. Staff at club have taken a bit of a hit- not a huge hit but being furloughed (sp?), does that mean full salaries or the 80% thing?
  6. Casual matchday staff have obviously or will have surely taken a 100% hit- nature of the job, get paid when at work etc.
  7. Rugby have obviously taken  a hit- see 25%?

Am I missing someone, or something here- the biggest cost of all? :whistle2:

Still early days @Hare Island as per the discussion the other day but seems that players being paid at full as it stands?

It does seem players are being paid in full. Inaction from players and club is beginning to leave a bad taste tbh. Other clubs are doing more for their communities. We have a rich owner with proud Bristolian heritage, and players earning more in a month than many of the non-playing staff or local residents will earn in a year.

Could it be possible to:

- Donate a % of player wages to support non-playing staff

- Make a donation to local hospices, which are now in dire financial straits just as they could play a major role particularly if there is a trend for some towards palliation vs treatment

- Use the Gate as a community hub for storage and distribution of food aid or medical supplies

- Retain commercial catering supply chains and offer meals to those in close proximity 

Surely more can be done in extraordinary times?

• Like 2