IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Could this extended period of no football actually be a blessing.

Maybe not in the short term, but I would imagine there are going to be 100s of players who, at the end of this, might not have played a match in 6 months or more, out of contract and desperate for a job.

Now, they might find that a new contract on their old salary is easy to pick up, but with most clubs having a significant gap in their income, they'll be looking to make economies which will likely be a drop in salaries. Add to that, youth players who are all going to be further in to their development (as people if not players), will some clubs take this as an opportunity to really get their houses in order, bin off the expensive players and embrace playing youth, on the basis that it keeps the club sustainable.

In other news, read earlier than Derby are trying to take out a 30 million quid loan to tide them over.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Seeing Plymouth Argyle are offering their boardroom for blood tests , what are City doing? Surely we have more function rooms available than Home  Park. 

Cannot believe we haven't as a club tried to do something, very odd imo.

13 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Cannot believe we haven't as a club tried to do something, very odd imo.

Yep, national effort (apparently)- all got to do our bit.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/march/stadium-joins-national-effort-to-support-those-impacted-by-covid-19/

Mind you a Tweet by Mark Kelly suggested we've done something similar but again, comms- nothing out there.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/march/stadium-joins-national-effort-to-support-those-impacted-by-covid-19/

Mind you a Tweet by Mark Kelly suggested we've done something similar but again, comms- nothing out there.

Sorry I missed his tweet. I know we don’t want a big fuss made, but a simple statement by the club along the lines of some of the Premier League clubs would have at least shown that an offer was there if needed. Just saw on Points West that there is a possibility that UWE may be used in some backup capacity. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The stadium was opened up last week to support charity workers providing food to the homeless......it was put out on the stadium Twitter. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Embarrassing.

No answers, just deleting posts.

Okay @Northern Red You were NOT the only one sadly ranting about posts being removed etc etc  and this is not solely aimed at you.

Other users also having a pop at the moderating team on here, which IS bang out of order !!!

Just for you are the others that didn't take the initiative to look around the forum, the thread has been split into two.

The very obvious reason for this THIS THREAD is CLEARLY about the Coronavirus and it's impact on football, like so many other threads over time on here people go off on a tangent and start bitching and debating about other topics

In this instance the thread started going more and more into politics which CLEARLY is not what it was about, so following a report from a user the mod team discussed splitting the threads into one discussing football and how everything is impacted and the other new thread to discuss the virus and the political impact

For those that want to talk about the political side of the virus the discussion has been moved to the link below - if you are discussing how it impacts on football please carry on

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Okay @Northern Red You were NOT the only one sadly ranting about posts being removed etc etc  and this is not solely aimed at you.

Other users also having a pop at the moderating team on here, which IS bang out of order !!!

Just for you are the others that didn't take the initiative to look around the forum, the thread has been split into two.

The very obvious reason for this THIS THREAD is CLEARLY about the Coronavirus and it's impact on football, like so many other threads over time on here people go off on a tangent and start bitching and debating about other topics

In this instance the thread started going more and more into politics which CLEARLY is not what it was about, so following a report from a user the mod team discussed splitting the threads into one discussing football and how everything is impacted and the other new thread to discuss the virus and the political impact

For those that want to talk about the political side of the virus the discussion has been moved to the link below - if you are discussing how it impacts on football please carry on

Thank you for the explanation and I apologise for the repeated posts questioning things and the tone of them.

I was well aware that the discussions had been split, my issue was with why, as no explanation has been given. Half the stuff that has been moved isn't "bickering" and I felt that seperating it was overly harsh.

Does this mean that absolutely no mention of anything other than football is allowed in this thread? Because you'll have a lot of moving to do if that's the case.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Thank you for the explanation and I apologise for the repeated posts questioning things and the tone of them.

I was well aware that the discussions had been split, my issue was with why, as no explanation has been given. Half the stuff that has been moved isn't "bickering" and I felt that seperating it was overly harsh.

Does this mean that absolutely no mention of anything other than football is allowed in this thread? Because you'll have a lot of moving to do if that's the case.

No problem at all.

I'm currently working back (only just came back on line) see how far we all get moving posts over before losing the will to live :sub:

(I might be wrong but not sure posts get deleted at all anymore - they tend to get move or merged)

• Like 1

• Admin

Someone texted into R5 earlier on suggesting a brilliant way to end the season, the radio presenters got all exited about and claimed a great idea........ until someone pointed out the obvious flaw in the idea.

The idea was for the first 9 games of next season to count double - ie ending this season and starting the next.......

• Haha 1

...plus Bristol Rugby. 

Not City though.

Interesting times when clubs of that size cut or defer their player wages. 

Barca and a much maligned Leeds especially- part of deferral goes to ensure ordinary staff paid in full. Hats off!! ?

Maybe similar with Bristol Rugby too but dunno.

Quite the contrast though, even internally within Bristol Sport...

There are loads of things that it depends on that could be different between the football and rugby or Leeds and City. It could be that we insure our players contracts so they are effectively being paid by insurance now, we could have a furlough option to pay 20% in certain circumstances like this and that is already enacted, things that make up the full package such as cars are difficult to take away and just damage the local economy rather supporting the jobs at local dealerships.

• Hmmm 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

...plus Bristol Rugby. 

Not City though.

Barca and a much maligned Leeds especially- part of deferral goes to ensure ordinary staff paid in full. Hats off!! ?

This seems have become quite an obsession with you. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

• Admin

A statement from Rochdale CEO David Bottomley 

On behalf of the Board of Directors, I am providing an update on the position of Rochdale AFC during this challenging time.

I want to start by wishing you and your families well. I trust that you are staying safe and following all government guidance surrounding the outbreak of COVID-19. It is an extremely worrying period in all of our lives, and we are all very aware that we are in this together.

On the 13th March, the EFL announced that there would be no football played for several weeks. Our players were all given home training regimes and have not trained together since that date.  

As a Club, we decided last Monday morning to take the action that the Government were seeking, in restricting movement, and effectively “lockdown” the Crown Oil Arena.

As a result of this, whilst all staff have been paid in full for March, a number of our staff have had to be furloughed as we seek to maintain the long-term future of Rochdale AFC.

The reaction of those staff shows the great loyalty we have within the Club and we trust that very soon we can repay the same.   

We continue to be in regular dialogue with the EFL and we are able to input our own thoughts and ideas. We will be taking their lead and initiative on a number of matters that are in negotiation in regard to how we progress going forwards as Clubs and as an Industry.

If any of our supporters want to share their stories of virus and how it has affected their lives, so we can continue to try and spread awareness, please email office@rochdaleafc.co.uk.

At this time, we do not know when we will be seeing the team back out on the pitch. Until then, we would like you all to follow government guidance and stay safe.

Finally, I want to finish with a message from one of our Season Ticket holders, Nick Robinson. He published the below on social media, regarding his battle with COVID-19.

It is a stark reminder to everyone that this issue should not be taken lightly, and that all advice needs to be followed.

Nick Robinson:

Evening everyone.. long post warning but here you have it...

My Covid-19 experience started on Wednesday 18th March when I woke with a temp of 38.6c. As a family, we decided to self isolate and work from home.
Over the coming days, I felt pretty sh***y with a temp hitting 42c a couple of times, with hallucinations thrown in for good measure. 
Luckily, Hayley and the kids seemed fine as I had self isolated into Graces bedroom. 
We called 111 a few times only to be cut off after a ‘couple’ of hours on hold. 
We finally got through and they called an ambulance on Thursday 19th. I then received a call back saying it had been cancelled and that my GP would call with a prescription of steroids. This happened and I started the steroids that evening.

By Friday, I seemed to be getting better, spending time in the garden with the kids and doing some ‘pottering’, although I had also lost my sense of smell and taste as well as appetite.

Fast forward to Monday 23rd and I thought, that wasn’t so bad, the kids were ok, Hayley was fine and I felt just a little tired. 
I’d done a conference call in the afternoon and my temp went back to 40c together with a shitty cough.

Wow, I went to bed on Monday evening, unable to get my temp down but also struggling to breathe.

I phoned 111 Tuesday 24th, 1st thing in the morning, who told me they couldn’t do anything and got my GP to ring with a prescription of antibiotics for pneumonia.
I got the medicine and started them straight away but was throwing up within 1/2 hour and physically unable to stop coughing enough to take a breath.

By Thursday 26th, I hadn’t eaten, Hayley was feeling poorly and I really didn’t know what to do... I asked Hayley to phone 999 as I hoped they would at least cart me off so that she didn’t have to worry about me. Paramedics arrived, confirmed it was highly likely I had post Covid-19 pneumonia but didn’t want to move me for fear of either spreading the virus or worse still, my getting it worse in hospital.

Over the following days, my temperature has fluctuated between normal and 40c with very little appetite and even less energy.
I finally managed to get out of bed and go downstairs for an hour on Saturday only to have to spend the remainder of the day and night back in Graces bed due to being ‘floored’...

Today, wow, I finally got to spend a bit of time with the kids, downstairs, cuddled up watching TV. I even managed to have tea with them before succumbing to lack of energy and having to get back in bed. 
The feeling is describable to being run over (I’d imagine) by a bus... Today I’ve managed to talk on the phone, speak to my kids, see people through the window and even wash a few pots.. What a great day...

I was one of those people who said ‘it’s the flu’ it’s nothing... how wrong was I...

I think I caught it on the Tube or train in London a couple of weeks prior, on a works trip but I can’t be certain.

The Only things that are certain in this are that:

1. I have lost over a stone in less than a week
  2. I now have more hair on my head, face, eyebrows and in my ears than have had since I was 14 years old
  3. I sincerely want to express my love and gratitude to Hayley and my kids.
  4. This virus does not discriminate nor does it give a flying sh**...
  5. This virus WILL kill you if you don’t show it the respect.
  6. Please help anyone you can by either staying at home or supporting the Key-workers during this battle.
  7. Don’t be a di**head and think ‘it won’t get me’... it might not get you but it will get someone you love...
  8. My family mean everything to me and if someone [sic] wants to endanger that, even god won’t be able to help you...

Please, please, please.. for the sake of everybody, stay safe, and look after each other...

• Sad 2

...plus Bristol Rugby. 

Not City though.

Chance to slag off the club taken despite vast majority of clubs not doing it yet.  Just wait and see eh 

• Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Chance to slag off the club taken despite vast majority of clubs not doing it yet.  Just wait and see eh 

Fine, I'll reserve judgement from hereonin-- more about praise for those who have done it tbh.

I'll take a bit of a vow of silence on it too!

One more thing, @RedM deducing that the players were not being paid in full appears to have been mistaken at this time. That's the other thing I forgot to mention.

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Measure of character. 

Leeds  players have it. Barca players (though unsure how much choice they had) appear to. Some others too. 

Us? Not. As expected though, par for the course.

Maybe the way we have traded over the last couple of years means that the club don't want to a deferment because the money is there, as budgeted and if they don't pay them we might be in danger of recording another profit which will be taxed.

32 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe the way we have traded over the last couple of years means that the club don't want to a deferment because the money is there, as budgeted and if they don't pay them we might be in danger of recording another profit which will be taxed.

Ah maybe..yeah that's a good shout.

Still given the loss last season was £25m without the profit on transfers it'd be interesting to see.

Don't furlough the ordinary staff then given the players are blatantly the biggest cost.

This would be an interesting contrast in certain nationals, especially factoring in the rugby- half decent journo could run a useful story here.

That aside, I'm hopeful that this crisis in general might restore a bit of normality to football.

Ah maybe..yeah that's a good shout.

Still given the loss last season was £25m without the profit on transfers it'd be interesting to see.

Don't furlough the ordinary staff then given the players are blatantly the biggest cost.

This would be an interesting contrast in certain nationals, especially factoring in the rugby- half decent journo could run a useful story here.

That aside, I'm hopeful that this crisis in general might restore a bit of normality to football.

Could also mean that once this is over, tax and NI might increase meaning they will be paying a lot more.

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

We don't make a profit though do we ? We lose millions every year, profit on transfers last couple of years but overall massive losses. 

• Like 1